Still Won't Idle! I think I'm done.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
    Congrats Mike: \\/ Best of Luck on the rest of the small things...give it another month or two and you won't even remember how much fun you were having working on the thing! YOU OWN IT!!!! :-D

Dave
    I can't even describe how much my enjoyment has increased since this amazing breakthrough. Those little things are going to be fun too.

For example, I noticed that when I put on the turn signal, the opposite signal flashes in front! Must've switched two wires when I was cleaning connections in the headlight bucket!

Comment

Similar problem after carb overhaul

I own a 1980 GS850L, and have just had the carbs overhauled by my local shop. New carb kits, manifolds, gaskets. Bike starts and idles great. About three blips of the throttle it dies... everytime. Checking the carbs, there is no gasoline. Hooked up a clear gas line with an overhead feed directly to the carbs. Gas is available, but after three blips of the throttle it dies...as a result of no gas in the carbs.

I saw a post earlier in this chain that sounded similar to my problem, and a recleaning of the carbs solved the problem.

Can someone comment further on this? We really do not know where to go from here

Thanks,

Jerry

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Harvel View Post
        I own a 1980 GS850L, and have just had the carbs overhauled by my local shop. New carb kits, manifolds, gaskets. Bike starts and idles great. About three blips of the throttle it dies... everytime. Checking the carbs, there is no gasoline. Hooked up a clear gas line with an overhead feed directly to the carbs. Gas is available, but after three blips of the throttle it dies...as a result of no gas in the carbs.

I saw a post earlier in this chain that sounded similar to my problem, and a recleaning of the carbs solved the problem.

Can someone comment further on this? We really do not know where to go from here

Thanks,

Jerry
        #1 - Never trust someone else's work.

Then, check to make sure your petcock is operating correctly and that your float heights are set correctly.

Comment

Is the temp reservoir vented properly?
          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE View Post
            Is the temp reservoir vented properly?
            #1 - Always trust Keith.

Comment

new boots

hey Mike where did you get your new carb boots from ? i have gs750 and need new airbox boots ..thanks..rob

Comment

Can't remember now, but it was either Bikebandit.com or Denniskirk.com.

Either should be fine, choose by price.

Comment

thanks mike i'll look'm up...Rob

Comment

Idling Issues

Grats on getting the issues working back in November Mike and thanks to all those that helped. You have helped more people than you know. I have learned a lot from just reading your thought processes.

I have been dealing with very similar issues and I have religiously read through the entire 10 pages of this thread. Tons of great advice and it sounds as though I have the exact same issues as you except for the leaking boots.

Will not idle below 2k.

Comment

Congrats on finally reviving the ride (last year, now)!!!

I just found and read this entire thread and found it to be EXTREMELY educational and a prime example of what TheGSREsources.com is all about! Well done to all who had a hand in the process!

And to UncleMike, enjoy the fruits of your perserverance!

Comment

Bump.

I'm just bumping this thread because I think the trials and tribulations here are important for noobs (like me!). The 80/20 rule does not apply to baseline maintenance!!

Comment

Why must you bring up my pain?

Still running like a top, by the way. You can see pictures in the Fab Rally 08 thread.

Comment

Originally posted by UncleMike View Post

Still running like a top, by the way. You can see pictures in the Fab Rally 08 thread.

It was really just the Valve clearances huh? I am another admirer of this thread, read it a few times just the other day due to my current trials and tribulations...

Checked my valve clearances last night, Almost all the Exhaust were 2 tight. Intakes within spec, but on the tight end. Sadly unlike your 16V, I need to go buy some shims to finish the job! I'll let you know if it fixes my idle!

Comment

I also cleaned and synched my carbs, replaced the R/R with the Honda one, put in Bandit coils, so I can't say for sure, but the clearances were the only thing that made a noticeable difference.

Comment

The Triumph!

Originally posted by UncleMike View Post

No, Mike, not the pain, the triumph!

That which we obtain too cheap, we esteem to lightly and all that character building shtuf! Martyrdom!

Comment

Working...
                                X