X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good luck!!!

Comment

Yup. Good luck!
      But now, if the problem goes away, we'll never know what the real fix was because you did several things this time around.:-x Just kiddin' ya.
      But I don't see how the choke o-rings could raise the rpm's when hot and I doubt your synch would fix it either unless the plates were somehow sticking, which you said they weren't.
      That still leaves the two intake leak checks as possible cures.
      If it was the intake surface, it must have been REALLY dirty to leak past the clamps. Possible, though I don't know how you'd miss it earlier.
      If it was the head bolts not torqued correctly, then you may be fine. But be aware that some head gaskets won't re-seal. Re-torquing is something that must be tried.
      I'm not trying to sound negative, just reasoning it out.
      I would also like to be the one who came up with the fix since your problem has been one of the longest running mysteries in awhile and I would therefore be showered with adoration.
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE View Post
        Yup. Good luck!
        But now, if the problem goes away, we'll never know what the real fix was because you did several things this time around.:-x Just kiddin' ya.
        But I don't see how the choke o-rings could raise the rpm's when hot and I doubt your synch would fix it either unless the plates were somehow sticking, which you said they weren't.
        That still leaves the two intake leak checks as possible cures.
        If it was the intake surface, it must have been REALLY dirty to leak past the clamps. Possible, though I don't know how you'd miss it earlier.
        If it was the head bolts not torqued correctly, then you may be fine. But be aware that some head gaskets won't re-seal. Re-torquing is something that must be tried.
        I'm not trying to sound negative, just reasoning it out.
        I would also like to be the one who came up with the fix since your problem has been one of the longest running mysteries in awhile and I would therefore be showered with adoration.
        Believe me Keith, I'd love it if you came up with the fix as well!

Comment

I'm just goofing around, trying to be funny.
          I sure hope the problem goes away. Sounds like you've made the effort and you've been through enough.
          Positive thoughts!
          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I'm just goofing around, trying to be funny.
            I sure hope the problem goes away. Sounds like you've made the effort and you've been through enough.
            Positive thoughts!
            Indeed, and all I keep in my head at this point!

Comment

Just an idea but if the problem does not go away what about getting a can of starting fluid ether and carefully spraying it on the various possible leak paths one at a time and listening for an increase in idle speed? Some people use WD-40 but the ether will cause a more noticable change in engine speed I think. Hope you won't need to get to this point but you might want to consider it as a contingency plan.

Good luck.

Ed
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                Just an idea but if the problem does not go away what about getting a can of starting fluid ether and carefully spraying it on the various possible leak paths one at a time and listening for an increase in idle speed? Some people use WD-40 but the ether will cause a more noticable change in engine speed I think. Hope you won't need to get to this point but you might want to consider it as a contingency plan.

Good luck.

Ed
                If current avenues don't lead to a solution, I'll certainly walk down this path.

Comment

Not knocking anyones ideas but a fine water mist is much safer and kinder to the rubber parts. IF YOU HIT THE LEAK, the water will cause the rpms to drop noticably for a moment.
                  Test on a fully warmed up motor only.
                  It's not always easy to expose a leak, so the test isn't 100% positive. Going strictly by your posts/repairs/manifold replacements, I doubt the leak would be at the manifolds.

Comment

Not knocking anyones ideas but a fine water mist is much safer and kinder to the rubber parts. IF YOU HIT THE LEAK, the water will cause the rpms to drop noticably for a moment.
                    Test on a fully warmed up motor only.
                    It's not always easy to expose a leak, so the test isn't 100% positive. Going strictly by your posts/repairs/manifold replacements, I doubt the leak would be at the manifolds.
                    Honestly Keith,...I'd be a fool to ignore your advice. I had a costume party tonight, as Halloween has always been an important holiday in my family. As such, most of today was taken up with prep or celebration. The true test will be tomorrow morning when the rubber hits the road, as it were. Let's all hope my troubles are finally, after more than a year, over.

Comment

Place is clean, people are gone, keg is kicked.

The bike is back together and the bowls on the carbs are filling. Pray for me people.

It's go time.

Comment

No change. No change. No change. No change. No change.

Comment

After it doing it's normal BS of stalling out, it did eventually idle, but with the usual problems. Not strong, still wants to die after giving it some gas, etc,... I had to turn the idle screw up a bit to get her to idle too, so maybe, perhaps, hopefully that could be the issue this time around, but I doubt it.

But here's something I noticed:

When it was about to die, if I'd give it some gas, just a little, the rpms would jump up noticibly, seemingly more than they should have for the small amount of throttle I was giving, and it was accompanied by a whining sounds when I did it. A high-pitched squeal, almost. It would die down as the rpms would drop.

So frustrating,...

Comment

Okay, some good news:

While everything was off and apart, I did Hoom's horn cleaning trick and the horn is a lot louder now.

Whoopie.

Comment

OK. Do me a favor. Run the bike two minutes and set the idle to 1,000.
                              Now go ride the bike so it's completely warmed up/hot. What is the idle rpm then? If it is significantly higher (as it has been so far) don't turn it off. Let it idle at that rpm.
                              Have a spray bottle of water handy. Set it to squirt a stream, not a mist.
                              Shoot every part of the head gasket you can reach. Hit it good. Do you hear any drop in the rpm's when you hit the gasket? If so, you have a bad head gasket.
                              If you can't hear a drop in rpm, lower the rpm with the idle adjuster knob to 1,000. Repeat the test. Any drop noticable now?

Comment

Originally posted by UncleMike View Post

I think you need a ......... what was the question?

My previous offer still stands Mr Unclemike

jerk*

Comment

Working...
                                X