GS750E Rebuild Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Success!!!

After more grunting and yanking from my friend and myself...and the help of a piece of would we broke the seal on the base gasket... man that gasket was toast... some of it came off on both parts of it.

That completes the motor tear down :-D now my friend and myself are beginning the cleanup work on everything. I have plunty of simple green and a small razor blade (only if necessary), and some gasket remover. I'll get before and after pictures as we make progress.

----

Salty:

I would certainly like to know myself what the deal is with the extra mount myself. Support we will see if someone chimes in and offers advice on that. I have an older factory manual I will look through and see fi I can find anything while we wait.

Comment

after about four hours of cleaning and scrapping, the head and block are cleaned up and ready for me to take to work and blast the buildup away at work...then off the the machine shop... whats left of the engine on the bike still will get its attention soon enough. The o-rings on the block...dam! those things are brittle! and are giving some trouble on getting them out in anything but pieces. Don't think there is much I can do on that really except scrape away until it is all out of there.

Do I have to worry about the tub at work hurting anything in particular on the head?

Also can anyone tell me about the camshafts...I've looked at them and they seem ok...but I don't know if they last as long as Car engine shafts or not. How long can bikes camshafts really last?

Comment

Regarding the camshafts, visually inspect them for pitts and measure the lobe height - the factory service manual has specs. on the service limit. One of the best things about the old 8 valve engines is their durable valve train so my guess is that you are going to be in good shape.

Good luck.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
          Regarding the camshafts, visually inspect them for pitts and measure the lobe height - the factory service manual has specs. on the service limit. One of the best things about the old 8 valve engines is their durable valve train so my guess is that you are going to be in good shape.

Good luck.
          question... the whole 8-valve/16-valve thing, as I think I understand it... I have 16 valves... unless you are not supposed to count the exhaust ones... or am I totally off in my thinking... silly but things like that always seem to leave me scratching my head.

Comment

well got everything cleaned up and in the shop now with them inspecting all my pieces to gauge what I might need to replace. I will know once I get the suggested parts list from them..good thing is they are letting me apply the inspection fee to any work they might do for me so it won't cost me very much at all which is very cool of them.

I will post their findings once I hear from them ... probably will be next week before I hear anything but we'll see

Comment

Originally posted by Kcwiro View Post
              question... the whole 8-valve/16-valve thing, as I think I understand it... I have 16 valves... unless you are not supposed to count the exhaust ones... or am I totally off in my thinking... silly but things like that always seem to leave me scratching my head.

In '79 or '80 I think Suzuki switched from the 8-valve heads to the twin-cam 16-valve heads you see on most inline fours today.

Comment

8 or 16 valves is the total number of valves, including exhaust.

Dink

Comment

Ok got it... thanks for clearing that up for me guys.

Question:

I noticed the boots that cover where the spark plug attach to the spark plug are cracked rather bad. Is there any reason for concern on this...or should I worry only when they stop working?

Stupid question likely but figured i'd get everyone's two cents on this
                  Last edited by Guest; 12-06-2006, 08:17 PM.

Comment

Well.. current issue aside I heard back from the shop on my block and head inspections... Result OUCH!!

exhaust cam is worn beyond service limits....pistons are also with the rings...valves are good but rockers are in need of replacement.

Little math here equals sheet and ultimate shock... the result is time to tuck up the sleeves and dive in with getting new parts and getting the block re-bored fitted with new pistons and re-ringed... then my friend and I will tackle the head work and continue on with the other parts of this little project my friend and I have started.

Suppose the plus thing is I will have a near complete top end rebuild in the end... pricey but what hell I guess and go for it. :-D

Comment

You can get universal new spark plug sockets and the rubber grommets from the top and bottom from any dealership and most parts catalogs. Just get the same angle and close to the same length and they'll work. I recommend NGK, and the sockets (I know that's not the correct name but it's late and I'm tired and not thinking straight) are only about $4-8 each, the grommets are around a buck apiece. Those cracks could lead to a rather nasty experience if you ever get caught in the rain.

Comment

Yeah, I was looking at bike bandit and found the necessary pieces I suppose once I finish paying for all the top end parts i have to buy I will pick up those as well. I'll be heading down to the shop soon enough to talk with the guy that did my inspections to see where they can get me cheap prices on what parts and then bike bandit the rest that they can't beat.

Some parts they quoted me are like $10 more a piece and when I have eight or so parts to get it adds up...

Thanks for the info on the plugs...I'll have to test with the voltmeter to see if the wires should be replaced?

Comment

Originally posted by txironhead View Post
                          You can get universal new spark plug sockets and the rubber grommets from the top and bottom from any dealership and most parts catalogs. Just get the same angle and close to the same length and they'll work. I recommend NGK, and the sockets (I know that's not the correct name but it's late and I'm tired and not thinking straight) are only about $4-8 each, the grommets are around a buck apiece. Those cracks could lead to a rather nasty experience if you ever get caught in the rain.
                          In the the evergreen state.... rain is always likely... even when its clear skies. Definitely be using the dielectric grease on everything. Once i finish bleeding money I wouldn't want the hard work to be interfered with by a little water in a place it should not be.

Comment

Ebay coming through again...

Jackpot?

How much should one expect to pay for a stock Exhaust... they saying $30 to $50 shipping... hrm.

Though lucky for me I will be in the area on buisness anyway.. the guy I bid against seems fishy though; his feedback is has like 8 entries for auctions in less than a minute...
                            Last edited by Guest; 12-11-2006, 07:42 PM.

Comment

I say go for it by the looks of it you are already shelling out so much $$$ as it is.

On a side note though my 80 750 came with the V&H exhuast and I love everything about it, eventhough most people that I have brought over to see it says it is louder than hell

Comment

I like the idea fo the single exhaust but still leaves me thinking... Rejetting for the V&H after all this right now I'd prefer to stick stock... If I wasn't putting so much into the engine ( I origially thought the rebuild would cost me overall the cost of just parts for the engine instead it is hitting me for that and then some ) another $300 bucks just doesn't seem prudent with this gem looking at me.

Now I won't have to rejet or add more work to my already full project. I finished finding all the frame components I was missing emblems and all so I'm good to go on having all missing pieces back which is a good relief... I'll concider re-painting another time to match things up but right now it does not really matter after all this.

Thanks for the input

Comment

Working...
                                X