No announcement yet.

Project: 1985 GS550ES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the input LeeGS550E and lord1234. I will be pulling the carbs for sure and I'll be completely disassembling, cleaning and replacing every non metal bit that I can find a replacement for. I'm thinkin' that once I take one apart and drop it in the carb dip that I'll take the non-metal bits over to my local dealer and see if they can come with any/all of the parts. If not, I'll get the parts from BikeBandit, CheapCycleParts or CycleOrings or some comination thereof.

Comment

Since I last posted:

Needed a proper Spark Plug socket (18 mm). After several trips (should've taken the plug or looked it up online the first time) I finally got the right socket from sears. Thanks to Steve, it turned out I had the torque wrench that I needed and I got all the plugs snugged in just right (150 inch-pounds).

Tried to fire it up without re-installing the gas tank. No dice. I'm guessing there wasn't enough fuel left in the carbs for start up. I've decided that I'm not putting that tank back on until I remove the carbs and get 'em back on in proper condition. Besides, we all know that's what the main issue is! :-D
      Last edited by Guest; 08-15-2007, 12:05 AM.

Comment

Pulling the Carbs

Apparently I need more than 5 metric sockets and 3 metric comination wrenches to do this job properly. :? I must have really "made due" when I worked on my CB350 back in the day because I had the same tools then.

This time, as I've mentioned, I'm trying to do things right so as to preserve the orignal parts and my orignal knuckles. So I went to Sears earlier tonight after carefully researching tool sets and ordered a 245 piece Craftsment set. See it here and let me know what ya think: http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=00934245000

I picked this one because a) It's got pretty much every thing I need socket or combination wrench wise, b) It's priced at the top end of my budget ($300), c) has the Easy To Read laser etched markings, d) includes storage, even though it's cheesy storage.

I've also picked up a small air compressor, a new set of screw drivers and Craftsman THIN 1/4 and 3/8 drives that I can work in the tight spots without forcing the issue or damaging finishes.

It's due in Friday and the girlfriend is due to be out of town all weekend, so I should have the tools and the time to get into it this weekend! \\/
        Last edited by Guest; 08-15-2007, 12:06 AM.

Comment

What hasn't been mentioned is cleanign the pilot screws. If you do not do so, the bike will never run properly. I went all last year trying all sorts of cleaners instead of actually popping the EPA caps and pulling, then cleaning the pilot screws.

this spring I decided I would do it proper-like. The machine was a cantakerous beast before. Now, it's a scooter. The thing starts up every time, and it idles SOLIDLY.

That's really all that's wrong. Except... now you have a new air filter. If you don't use the stock air filter you're going to be lean in the mid and top range.

;-) I'm still trying to sort out my K&N. good luck with your unifilter.
          You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
          If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
          1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
          1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
          1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
          1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
          1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

Originally posted by Nerobro View Post
            What hasn't been mentioned is cleanign the pilot screws. If you do not do so, the bike will never run properly. I went all last year trying all sorts of cleaners instead of actually popping the EPA caps and pulling, then cleaning the pilot screws.

this spring I decided I would do it proper-like. The machine was a cantakerous beast before. Now, it's a scooter. The thing starts up every time, and it idles SOLIDLY.

That's really all that's wrong. Except... now you have a new air filter. If you don't use the stock air filter you're going to be lean in the mid and top range.

;-) I'm still trying to sort out my K&N. good luck with your unifilter.
            I'll be cleaning the pilot screws along with everything else. The trouble at the moment is that I'm missing the proper wrench for the fastener holding the choke plungers to the carbs. #-o With any luck I'll have that, and much more, by Friday.

Re the air filter, it's supposedly the updated OEM replacement, so I'm assuming? that it would provide the same air flow as the OEM original. Guess we'll see.
            Last edited by Guest; 04-12-2007, 12:03 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

The War Room

The War Room

Comment

Nerobro, judging from your signature it seems that you may be obsessed with 550's similar to mine, so I thought I might pick your brain a bit. Are you familiar with any currently available aftermarket upgrades (exhaust for one example) for the mid-80's 550ES?

Comment

Hmm... Other than the fact that you can't remove the carbs without taking the chokes out You don't need to worry about cleaning the chokes. They're huge orafices. :-) And they keep themselves pretty well clean.

As for exhausts, as far as I'm aware all we have is Motad and what we can find on the used market. I'd stick with stock. Skreemer's bike has a V&H pipe on it, and it's got a nice sound.. but it doesn't make neighbors happy.

Is 122mph fast enough for you? that's how fast your bike will go with a K&N and some slightly richer jetting. Along with being the quietest bike on the road. Possably more, as my jetting is all sorted out for the K&N yet.

If you want to modify one... I think we could come up with an amicable arrangement for a much less pretty GS550ES :-) They have a LOT of paths to go down when it comes to upgrades. Just.. the one you've got is cherry.

Comment

nerobro knows PERSONALLY about the 122 mph...cuz he pulled a ticket like that.

Comment

Nerobro,

Thanks for the upgrade info. I definitely prefer fast and quiet to anything loud (I don't want to invest in ear plugs as "riding gear"), so I guess I'll keep what I've got.

122 mph is just fine, and, unless I get to a track, that'll be nothing more than head room for my riding. Fastest I've ever been is about 90 on a bike and that was two up on my 83 Nighthawk about 20 years ago. Here in the DC Metro area I'm pretty sure the cops wouldn't leave their speed traps for a moment even if they saw Osama on the other side of the street.

All said and done, I'm not looking for the fastest setup. I'd rather tune for the best overall performance, reliability and gas mileage. However, for track day I'd be interested in your "slightly richer" setup with the K&N stuff. :twisted:

Comment

Just waiting on my tools to come in...

:-\"

Haven't touched the bike in a few days now while I wait for my tools to arrive...

In the meantime, I've figured out EXACTLY what the diplacement of the engine is (see thumbnail pic). ;-)

Comment

572cc's

Make's you feel like your getting jipped out of 22cc's, huh? Maybe I should repaint mine to say GS572E.

Comment

The GS650 is really 673cc. Did I mention my 1980 GS550 is a 550.. I swear... ;-) If you take a good close look at the block it's stamped 673cc. I guess I put the wrong block on there.

If you're looking for the best fuel economy. (something in the low 40's..) you'll want to setup the bike as stock as you can. Stock exhaust, stock intake, stock air filter. I've never seen one of these bikes get better fuel economy after tuning, especially going to a 4-1 or pods. I think Skreemer is getting in the low 30's.

Comment

Originally posted by Nerobro View Post
                              The GS650 is really 673cc. Did I mention my 1980 GS550 is a 550.. I swear... ;-) If you take a good close look at the block it's stamped 673cc. I guess I put the wrong block on there.

If you're looking for the best fuel economy. (something in the low 40's..) you'll want to setup the bike as stock as you can. Stock exhaust, stock intake, stock air filter. I've never seen one of these bikes get better fuel economy after tuning, especially going to a 4-1 or pods. I think Skreemer is getting in the low 30's.
                              I realize that they generally round off the displacement #'s. I just wanted a reason to include the pic.

Guess I'll be going as stock as possible if that's where the fuel economy is. Unless, of course, the performance sucks. :twisted:

Comment

First, Very nice bike you have there. Now, I know this has been addresed many times before, but, since this thread is on going and my problem is on going......thought I'd ask. I have a "83 GS550E....Just rebuilt the carbs...Replaced all the jets, soaked the damn things for a few days. New o-rings where needed and bench sync'd..... Now..The bike starts but idles VERY erratic...It will run, but you cannot stop without the bike stalling....It actually runs pretty good , it just won't idle.....Am I missing something? I thought I read something about a very very small hole in the carb body that needs to be cleaned out for these to carbs to work right. (something to d with the idle circuit i think)....I know there are a few of you out there that have rebuilt these things several times over so any help would be great. I am thinking about a disassemble and clean again....Oh yeah, all the settings have been done per the manual (haynes) and no matter what I do with the air screws, it does not change anything. Thanks......

Comment

Working...
                                X