No announcement yet.

Custom Painting Question(s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am planning on getting better than that Maybe then I will just break even (lol).

There is a custom chopper shop near where I picked up the 4 oz supply of HoK. Perhaps they will run me off but I am going to poke around and ask some of the artists there what the proper way to apply silver leaf is. If they run me off, I am doomed to learn from the school of hard knocks

Or resort to witchcraft - http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/2963/gilding.html
    Last edited by Guest; 08-17-2007, 02:55 AM. Reason: added link

Comment

Keep searching the 'net or look for a book on the process. Somewhere you'll be able to find a definitive process to overcome your hardships.

Perhaps the glue you bought with the leaf wasn't designed for painted surfaces. Or maybe it's a lower-quality leaf than what the custom shops use.

Comment

I had an epiphany this evening - found a technique that works for me ..... details later (hint: Its gonna look like crap before it looks perfect).

Comment

Just for those who are following this post and may not know ... I was kidding when I said I could resort to witchcraft:-D I was referring to the link I posted on how to apply gold leaf - the ingredients and methods sound very similar to modern day wicca spells.

In any case, I am unable to get a smooth texture with silver leaf. However, I do like the texture I am getting even though, from the pictures I have seen, isn't supposed to look this way.

I am going to experiment some more and will post pictures soon.

Comment

Silver Leaf front Fender

I am going to put layer after layer of the stenciled letters you will see on side cover over the front fender silver leaf so they stand out (I guess the only way to make this make sense is to take pictures when I am done) In any case, this is how the front fender looks now:

Comment

The left side cover

Comment

WOW....didn't know you were going to leaf the whole front fender...is that stripe going to continue the length of the bike? That's a lotta leaf!

This may sound strange, but you might try using the underside of a spoon to help smooth out the leaf. It's a trick I use to make sure the edges of my masking tape are stuck down when I'm masking out graphics. Now trying to explain to the wife why one of her teaspoons are missing is another trick.....

Teaspoons for tape, pantyhose for straining paint, fingernail polish for touch-up paint, hairspray for grip glue, acetone (nail polish remover) for cleaning up overspray, Vaseline and KY for easing installation of carbs and airbox, it's no wonder that the few female mechanics I've met are so good, they've got half the materials already and know how to use them!

Comment

Now you see it

Comment

Now you don't

Comment

Needs a couple more layers

But this is the genral idea

Comment

It might have been interesting if you could have figured out a way to mask off the symbols then leafed the fender, leaving the symbols in the base green showing through the leaf. Could be an interesting look for the dragon on the tank.....

Comment

I thought about doing it that way, using frisket paper. However, I really dig the textures I can manipulate with silver leaf. You can't see these japanese symbols dead on, so they are very subtle, yet they are highly visible when viewed from an angle.

I kind of wish I knew all this about silver leaf before I started, could have made a more intricate design on top of the leaf. This is very very hard, now I understand why guys with this talent charge so much.

Its not so much hard, as it is time consuming, it really exhausts you.

Comment

pictures of what I mean by angles and texture

You cannot do this with paint :-D

Comment

Ran into a new problem

There is extra adhesive around the edges of the graphics I am doing with silver leaf .... does anyone have any suggestions on how to safely clean this stuff without damaging the paint? Its a water based adhesive much like elmer's school glue.

I am using a bumper sticker adhesive remover but I am wondering if there is an "easy" way and safer way of doing this.... thanks in advance

Comment

WD-40 won't harm paint if it's cured. And it takes off adhesive residue nicely.

Comment

Working...
                                X