No announcement yet.

Custom Painting Question(s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will definitely check out the tattoo parlors for airbrushing tips. I actually want to learn how to do this because its something I have always wanted to do as a hobby and hopefully a side type of business (If i ever get any good).

I have some leads as to where to look for chemical resistant clear, as well as some ideas - one being to get the code for the clear used by the factory. That is probably trade secret stuff for all I know, but I can attempt to find out.

I am debating, with myself, what the best approach would be to apply graphics. If it were non-metallic, I could just clear coat over it, and I know HOK claims their metallic appearance will not get ruined if you clearcoat over them - however, by experience, dupli-color metallic paints lose their appearance once clearcoated (gold becomes yellow, aluminum becomes gray). I am probably going to experiment with this once I do some research into gas proof clear coats. An older gentleman I was talking with today about this recommended a professional automotive store within my area that I had never heard of.

Here is what I am going to look into over the next few days - I am going to see if a sign shop can punch out the graphics for me on their vinyl paper, thereby making a template I can adhere to the "cured" paint. From experience, Frisket paper will only work for you if you have the finger dexterity of a brain surgeon. Then, I am going to find clear coat and see if it "kills" the metallic finish of aluminum or gold paint. If it does, I will clear coat and wait for the clear to cure, the spray the metallic over the clear and hope for the best.

From experimenting, you really need a clean adherence for your template, the spray can get under creases and ruin your graphic with overspray.

Comment

This is probably way more exotic than you're willing to go, but how about silver leaf? Basically, you'd make your template, apply the glue, apply the leaf (not sure if you'd remove the template before or after, never done it myself), and then clear over it. I've seen silver and gold leaf on bikes and you can get really outstanding results. Did you happen to see the Biker Buildoff with Indian Larry's Rat Fink bike? Plus, the silver leaf would leave a really nice texture if you brush rubbed it.

Any auto paint store can sell you a gasoline-resistant clear. The question is whether or not that particular clear (and there's dozens) is compatible with the basecoat. Once you've found a selection of clears that is compatible, then you find out which is the easiest to paint with the equipment you have.

Comment

ah - got ya on the gas resistant clear:-D. I will check with the HOK store in Roswell (didn't realize I had one about 20 miles away). I will also talk with the auto paint store and bring a sample of this paint (dried) with me.

I would be very interested in gold leafing or silver leafing.

Comment

Metal Leafing

I think I can understand the concept of silver or gold leafing much better with the above instructional technique. My questions before I would proceed with something like this (and I may have to ask a sign shop) are could the graphics for the silver leaf be punched out for me or will I have to do them by hand? Will the adhesive used interfere with the base coat? Apparently the adhesive dries clear - so I will just test this on a paint sample and see what the reaction is. Michael's sells imitation gold and silver leaf kits for under $10.00

I think it would be cool to get silver leaf with the Kanji style of ancient japanese laser etched on the surface so it can be seen by the reflection - but that may be a bit out of my league.

Comment

Michaels has the products you need for home decor, framing, scrapbooking and more. Shop and save on arts and crafts supplies online or at a store near you.

Apparently, the above technique works by getting a template, applying adhesive over the template, removing the template, then applying a silver leaf sheet over the adhesive, letting it dry, then brushing off the excess silver leaf - this stuff has to be very delicate and thin for that to work. I am probably gonna give it a shot.

If I can learn to do this - I may just be in business doing it - NOBODY at the suzuki dealership knew anyone that could do this technique for custom painting. I am sure there are some people in my area that do this - but apparently airbrushing graphics is easier.

Practice makes perfect and an expert at anything was once a beginner. I am gonna see if I can get some thin plastic and hobby knife my own template - or just have a sign shop cut my template on vinyl paper and apply the adhesive over the vinyl paper. I am guessing by using this method, no adhesive should interfere with the base coat.

Comment

I may save you some time and trouble, if it works you'll really want to go into business doing it!

I was at Wal-Mart today and saw what looked like an inkjet printer, but it wasn't. It was a machine that cuts designs into paper and other light sheet media. Apparently you can use the pre-programmed templates or hook it up via USB and "print" your own. This might be ideal for either paint templates or glue templates for the foil.

Comment

wow .... that is giving me so many ideas right now :-D I will definitely keep an eye out for that template machine next time I go to get Planet Green HoK. I am also going to invest in an airbrush as well at some point. Follow the link below as to why I want to learn this fine art. Absolutely amazing red dragon.

Checkout the full domain details of Organicimage.com. Click Buy Now to instantly start the transaction or Make an offer to the seller!

Comment

Everyone Loves Herbie

I am also going to repaint my Honda Nighthawk and have been "toying" with the design below as a template :-D

Comment

I wouldn't.....Nighthawks are tempermental as is....you give it a personality and no telling what it's liable to do.....\\/

Comment

Originally posted by txironhead View Post
                      I wouldn't.....Nighthawks are tempermental as is....you give it a personality and no telling what it's liable to do.....\\/
                      You are right about Nighthawks - especially mine :-D

In any case, I will post pictures of the gas tank. I was able to spray a tack coat and two light coats of Planet Green using 2 bottles of 1 oz. paint. Apparently, you can reeeeaaalllly stretch this paint out with laquer thinner. I made 5 ozs. of paint with 2 bottles of 1 oz. paint.

The ding I repaired with bondo is visible :-| I may have to use dupli-color sandable primer over the base coat to blend the surface. I hope I can do this.

I will post pictures later this evening. BTW, how long should I allow the base coat to cure before I go about applying silver leaf? I stopped at Micheal's today and bought 25 sheets of Silver leaf, an array of different adhesive applicators and the thick metal leafing adhesive. Total cost to the penny piching starving artist - $12.43. According to the instructions, you apply the adhesive with a stencil brush over the template, allow to dry for 30 minutes, remove template after 10 minutes, then apply the silver leaf and brush off the excess. It says to allow the silver leaf to dry for 24 hours before applying clearcoat. The concept and instructions make this sound pretty foolproof and easy ----- we'll see :-D

Comment

Silver Leafing

I am so glad I experimented with this stuff first. DO NOT BRUSH the adhesive. The silver leaf will look brushed on. I am glad I did not rush to make a template and put it on my side cover - I would have been p*ssed. I am going to pick up the spray adhesive and see what the texture looks like then. I am practicing on a MONSTER KHAOS can.

Are there any tips on how to prevent the silver leaf from "crinkling" ? I am using wax paper, but it still crinkles.

Comment

Gas resistant clear coat

Pelucid by POR-15

Comment

Are we 100% sure about compatibility with the HoK paint? Wonder if it's compatible with Dupli-Color. I love POR-15 products, for off-road undercarraiges you just can't beat it. All of their stuff is top of the line.

BTW, I sent you a PM.

Comment

No - not sure. I am going to do an aluminum can the way I painted my bike and will test the clear coat on that first. May take me a few days but I will post the results.

Comment

If you happen to have some Dupli-Color engine enamel laying around, could you test that also?

Comment

Working...
                                X