No announcement yet.

Custom Painting Question(s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, as a matter of fact I do. I have the aluminum. I haven't gone to pick up any clear yet. When I do, I will post the results with pictures.

I am currently experimenting with silver leaf and spray adhesive. I also did some experimenting with plastic media templates - spraying the adhesive over the plastic - and not getting the results I want. Here is why - the plastic is meant for flat surfaces, I need something like frisket paper, but better - because it can seal the template to the surface and not get any adhesive under the template, thereby ruining the graphic. Frisket paper is also good for flat surfaces only as it tends to crease when applied to contoured surfaces.

I will go to a sign shop on monday and ask them to make me a template with their vinyl paper. I heard this stuff is extremely durable, won't peel paint and can be reused, won't crease etc. I will bring the graphics I want and see how much they charge to make me the template.

Also, its important to note here, when metal leafing, I found the adhesive needs to go on super super thin. You can also iron the leaf onto wax paper to smooth out the creases. This is time consuming work and very very slow. You can't rush it. One tiny tear and its ruined.

Comment

I saw a product on TV once, it was kinda like sticky-back plastic wrap. An airbrush artist was using it to mask off a motorcycle tank prior to painting it. I have no idea what it's called, but I do remember it didn't crease. He stretched it over the tank, then used an Xacto knife to cut out the design he wanted to paint. Of course, that's going back to the surgeon-like precision needed to prevent damaging the paint. I think it was on one of the Biker Build-Offs.

BTW, any ideas on the dragon pics?

Comment

Yes, I got your email explaining about the file size for the dragon pix. It might be better to post the pictures you have on http://www.photobucket.com however if you were to do all of them, it would take you forever since you can only upload three at a time. My suggestion is to see if you can email me with a zip file, if that doesn't work, then try to upload the best graphics on photobucket.

Comment

What's the most your email can handle at once? My limit is 1.8Mb per email. I may try to lower the resolution and size of a few, then if you really like one I can email you the high-res copy of it.

Comment

I am not sure what my email capability is ... will pm you with 2 different email accounts I use.

Comment

Ok .... I have been experimenting with the silver leaf I got from Michael's and applied a graphic to one of my side covers. Some of the silver leaf did not adhere properly :-| but the good thing about using silver leaf is that it can be re-applied:-D. It does NOT uncrinkle - but I am starting to understand why - its supposed to look like a metal leaf - (did the Homer Simpson "D'oh") ). I actually like it once it dries it looks like an authentic peice of metal and looks pretty darn cool.

I also did some shopping for clear. I went to an automotive paint supply store by NAPA. According to these guys, their gas resistant clear coat - top of the line stuff, is $58 per quart and the hardener you absolutely have to mix it with is also $58 per quart. :?

I have a friend that owns a hotrod restoration shop called Southern Muscle in Waleska, GA. I am going to swing by there and pick his brain until he runs me off :-D

Comment

I betcha there's a ton of websites on all kinds of neat effects you can do with leaf. Do a search and you might come up with some "trick mods".

Comment

Duplicolor sells clear acrylic lacquer in rattle cans. When I had my T305 years ago I used acrylic lacquer and gas never touched it.

I'm going to be repainting in the future and plan on building a throw away spray booth out of PVC tubing and clear plastic. I'll use an A/C filter for incoming air and another probably impregnated with charcoal for outgoing air. I'll use a box fan to pull air out of the booth passing through the filter before it hits the fan.

Nice tip on the HOC paints at Walmart. I'll be checking it out too.

Comment

Please post pics of your throw away paint booth if you get the chance.

Comment

Originally posted by Schweisshund View Post
                      Will do, though I'm not sure when I'll get around to painting. Hopefully not too long since I've replaced the front end and the GSXR fender doesn't match the rest of the bike.

Comment

I also did some shopping for clear. I went to an automotive paint supply store by NAPA. According to these guys, their gas resistant clear coat - top of the line stuff, is $58 per quart and the hardener you absolutely have to mix it with is also $58 per quart. :?

:-D
                        I think you are being oversold. Go to a paint jobber... the guys that sell to the bodyshops. You should be able to buy a pint of each off them. They mix paint in the back room and supply themselves with gallon containers.
                        I also think any quality clearcoat used for automotive refinishing would be plenty good enough.... Sherwin Williams, Dupont, PPG, etc. Clearcoat does not typically peel off your car when you spill gas, right? My Skunk was painted with Sherwin Williams Ultra basecoat/pearl/clearcoat. I have spilt gas and it has had no effect.

Pics, please of the silver leaf! :-D
                        Last edited by renobruce; 08-15-2007, 01:36 AM.
                        85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                        79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
                          I'm going to be repainting in the future and plan on building a throw away spray booth out of PVC tubing and clear plastic. I'll use an A/C filter for incoming air and another probably impregnated with charcoal for outgoing air. I'll use a box fan to pull air out of the booth passing through the filter before it hits the fan.
                          Here's a good link:
                          A paint booth can help you create clean and smooth paint jobs for your projects without getting paint all over everything. To build a booth in your garage, try creating a frame out of PVC pipe, plastic sheeting, and duct tape. You'll also...

I sell/install spray booths. Just finished building this one for an International Truck dealership:
                          http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...State%20Booth/

Let me know when you guys build your booths and I'll mail you some quality 20" x 20" intake and exhaust filters.
                          Last edited by renobruce; 08-15-2007, 01:35 AM.
                          85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

That PVC booth idea gave me an idea.....it wouldn't have to be disposable. Collapsable, definitely. Instead of gluing the pieces together, drill holes and use pins to keep it together. Duct tape the plastic on, or however you plan to fasten it, then take the whole thing apart when you're done. The long pieces could easily fit in the rafters of a garage and the plastic and fittings in a medium size cardboard box. I'd recommend running plastic on the floor just to cut down on dust. It would be fairly easy to rig the whole booth as a type of downdraft unit, too. Homier sells these great little "squirrel cage" shop blowers, powerful little things, for around $20 each. The one I have is almost too powerful for the legs it sits on, it keeps trying to flip over. Rig a couple of those as exhaust fans and a box fan or two up top as your intake.

Man, this is turning into a great thread! Sticky!

Comment

Put the intake fan on meduim speed, and the exhaust on low. This will pressurize the booth and give you better airflow and cleaner jobs.
                              85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
                                Pics, please of the silver! :-D
                                Below is a picture of everything I used to apply silver leaf. I will have to wait a bit to re-apply silver leaf to areas that did not adhere right on the sidecover. Its my "first" attempt and I figure I can only get better at it.

Comment

Working...
                                X