GS1000 Base Gasket Replace. w/ Pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Billyboy,

I'll add my thanks for the pics. My base gasket will need replaced at some point this year, and seeing your pics moved it over from the "Praying that it doesn't fail" list to the "Planning the Job" list. Much less intimidating for this newb once I've seen it done!

Add in the tips from the other fellas, and this thread's comin' back out right alongside the manual when the time comes.

Comment

Originally posted by Roostabunny View Post
      Hey Billyboy,

I'll add my thanks for the pics. My base gasket will need replaced at some point this year, and seeing your pics moved it over from the "Praying that it doesn't fail" list to the "Planning the Job" list. Much less intimidating for this newb once I've seen it done!

Add in the tips from the other fellas, and this thread's comin' back out right alongside the manual when the time comes.
      I'll 2nd that.

Comment

Originally posted by Roostabunny View Post
        Hey Billyboy,

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
        I'll 2nd that.

Thanks guys.:-D I hope that this thread will be a helpful tool to save us GS'ers some money and frustration and fear.

I really appreciate all the helpful post from everyone. \\/

Plans fail for lack of council, but with many advisors they succeed.

Comment

Forgive my ignorance here, but how do you determine where TDC is? Do you rotate the crank till you see the T show up in that little hole in the ignition plate?

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
            Forgive my ignorance here, but how do you determine where TDC is? Do you rotate the crank till you see the T show up in that little hole in the ignition plate?

Yes. But there are two "T" marks. One for 1.4 and one for 2.3 cylinders.

Comment

Its the line next to the "T" in the ignition hole, you line up the lines I do believe.

Comment

Yeah, There's two T's. One for 1-4 and one for 2-3. The lines should've been lined up. Don and Paintman are right.
                There's also an "F", but I don't know what that's for. Anyone?

I just came back from Canadian tire and bought a cheapy torque wrench and a brass brush for the combustion chambers. (They're in the battery section.)

I talked with the PO this morning. He said that he overhauled the top end when he got the bike. Valves lapped, seals and rings replaced, maybe even pistons, he can't remember. So that's a load off.

Comment

Originally posted by Billyboy View Post
                  Yeah, There's two T's. One for 1-4 and one for 2-3. The lines should've been lined up. Don and Paintman are right.
                  There's also an "F", but I don't know what that's for. Anyone?

I just came back from Canadian tire and bought a cheapy torque wrench and a brass brush for the combustion chambers. (They're in the battery section.)

I talked with the PO this morning. He said that he overhauled the top end when he got the bike. Valves lapped, seals and rings replaced, maybe even pistons, he can't remember. So that's a load off.
                  Billyboy the "F" mark is the firing position for setting the ignition timing as opposed to the "T" mark which is at Top Dead Cente. I think from memory the initial ignition timing is 17 degrees before TDC below 1500 rpm and 37 degrees before TDC above 2500 rpm.
                  Cheers
                  Don

Comment

Whatever you do - don't overtighten the cam saddle retaining bolts - they can snap off and become a headache to remove. I know.
                    I recently replaced piston rings and did not need a ring compressor, just fingers and a flat screw driver - in fact my old Haynes manual even said its not needed. Make sure the barrell is the correct way around first.
                    Generally with "paper" gaskets - apply dry - they can extrude in some cases and not seal properly at the gasket/mating interface. (a gasket material saleman told me this). For high temp applications, gaskets are often graphited etc.:-|

Comment

Originally posted by Jackbob View Post
                      Whatever you do - don't overtighten the cam saddle retaining bolts - they can snap off and become a headache to remove. I know.
                      I recently replaced piston rings and did not need a ring compressor, just fingers and a flat screw driver - in fact my old Haynes manual even said its not needed. Make sure the barrell is the correct way around first.
                      Generally with "paper" gaskets - apply dry - they can extrude in some cases and not seal properly at the gasket/mating interface. (a gasket material saleman told me this). For high temp applications, gaskets are often graphited etc.:-|
                      Thanks for the tips.

What is the barrel?

Comment

Originally posted by Billyboy View Post
                        What is the barrel?
                        a cylinder

(the same way the fuel tap is the petcock... )
                        GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
                          a cylinder

Ah. OK.

So then, was that a warning to ensure that the block isn't backwards???

Comment

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
                            a cylinder

Hey PSYGUY you know these Yanks talk a different language to us in the Southern Hemisphere.

Comment

Hey PSYGUY you know these Yanks talk a different language to us in the Southern Hemisphere.
                              sure do, mate :shock:
                              GS850GT

Comment

*AHEM*!!

Hi there. I'm Canadian.:-D

Comment

Working...
                                X