No announcement yet.

GS1000 Base Gasket Replace. w/ Pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remove the cam journal cap where you snapped the bolt. If it is one of the outer bolts you may be able to drill it out and do a repair on the head without taking the head off again. If you can file the top of tge broken bolt to make it easier to centre punch it before drilling. Use eziout if possible. If it is an inside bolt you will not be able to line up the drill with the broken bolt as the top frame rail will be in the way. Whatever happens replace all the cam journal cap bolts as they will be fatigued in some way. That's probably why the bolt broke in the first place. Tension on these bolts is only 6.5 lb/ft. I had 6 of the 8 bolts on my exhaust cam side stripped (reason why head is at machine shop).
    Cheers and good luck.

Comment

It's the outside left intake bolt.
      Nohing left to weld to.
      I bought an easyout. or rather a screw extractor.

I'm going to try to drill it and pull it.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
        BillyBoy I need a bit of info. When you put the cylinder head gasket on did you have to put "O" rings on the four corner studs or did your gasket have them incorporated as part of the head gasket. What type of head gasket was it that you used, Suzuki OEM, Vesrah, or what?
        Thanks in advance.
        Still waiting on my head to come back from machine shop.
        Cheers
        Vesrah gasket set. I didn't put the rubber gasket thingines on. looked wierd.
        Jackbob and I are wrestling with it on GS1000 Head-aches" thread.

Check it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Billyboy View Post
          Vesrah gasket set. I didn't put the rubber gasket thingines on. looked wierd.
          Jackbob and I are wrestling with it on GS1000 Head-aches" thread.

Check it out.
          OK. Thanks Billyboy. I have a Vesrah gasket set as well so will run into the same issues.
          Cheers

Comment

Good luck on getting that bolt out.

Comment

Thanks for the luck. It helped.

I drilled it, tried to use the screw remover, realized I bought the wrong size, drove back to Canadian Tire, bought the right one, back to the shop, VOILA! Out she popped!:-D\\/:-D\\/

The cams are in, timing is right, tensioner is set, valve clearances are adjusted. All I need to do now is: post the pics I took, replace the valve cover and gasket, install the carbs, and tear it up!

Comment

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
                i found it scary only in principle. once you go through the manual, theres basically only stamped lines and numbers to align and some cam chain rivets to count :?
                literary
                It's exactly as you described. So simple and easy it's scary, as long as you don't snap a bolt off.

Comment

Originally posted by Billyboy View Post
                  MAN O MAN OH MAN!8-O

I screwed up.

I snapped off a bolt in the cam journal caps.#-o
                  not to worry
                  i stripped more than 1 thread so i ended up heli-coil ALL of them :shock:
                  yup, 16 heli-coils
                  no snapped bolts, no stripped threads
                  oh yes, replaced most of those bolts too
                  it's part of the game
                  GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by Jackbob View Post

A mate of mine said he always uses a little loctite and if anything under-torques these bolts.
                    not sure if such a good idea
                    the torque setting isnt that big to start with
                    and the camshafts rotate a lot
                    and the valve springs make for a lot of resistance transfered to the cam journals
                    you use loctite only so the bolts dont come undone
                    torque setting is there to provide the correct "fit" between parts and in this case to provide optimum clearance to avoid excessive wear on the journals
                    especially so on the models that have no camshaft bearings and the camshaft housing is just alu alloy
                    GS850GT

Comment

oh, did i mention that i used around 50 heli-coils all together on that engine :shock::shock::shock:
                      now i can do them with my eyes closed, drill in one hand, the vacuum cleaner in the other (to take the metal shavings out) \\/
                      GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
                        oh, did i mention that i used around 50 heli-coils all together on that engine :shock:
                        now i can do them with my eyes closed, drill in one hand, the vacuum cleaner in the other (to take the metal shavings out) \\/
                        That's what I did too.

Comment

So.... Where are those pics?

Comment

Snapped bolts- replace the head???

I have some pics...
                            I was replacing the head gasket on my 1982 GS650 and after reading this thread I knew that I should expect some problems with the cam bearing bolts. But what I experienced is a little overwhelming- 10 out of 16 bolts had snapped!!!!!! How lucky am I??
                            A guy in the local machine shop suggested to get a new/used head because, in his opinion, taking 10 bolts out will cost the same as replacing the head.
                            Should I follow his advice and does anyone have a head for sale???
                            Will the head from a 1981 GS650 work on 1982 GS650?

Please help! Thanks!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by stroka View Post
                              A guy in the local machine shop suggested to get a new/used head because, in his opinion, taking 10 bolts out will cost the same as replacing the head.
                              that may be so if HE does it... why not play yourself? :-D
                              many people here have ventured on such tasks as total newbies
                              GS850GT

Comment

well- I've got a 2 mm cobalt drill bit and screw/bolt extractor after reading this thread. But it is 10 bolts! How much more worst things will get in case if the bit will break?
                                I see the head from a 1981 GS650 on ebay right now. Do you know if it will work for my bike?

Comment

Working...
                                X