Clouds GS Restoration Log

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cloudbreakmd View Post
    Just ordered a can.... Let's hope it works.
    It works, but you have to hold a seriously fierce gaze while rubbing. I even dripped a little spittle a time or two..

Comment

Let me get the other set of carbs straightened out before running it again. Meanwhile reassemble the rest of the bike and finish up all the loose ends.
      1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
      1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Hmmm... Might have to wait. Getting married next weekend and starting my new job this week and moving the day after my wedding. Gonna be busy... But I did clean the workshop out today. You would be proud
        Last edited by cloudbreakmd; 08-24-2009, 01:05 AM. Reason: I kants spellz good when iza types fast
        2010 Honda VFR1200F
        1983 Suzuki GS750T (sold)
        Being Revisited
        1981 Honda CM400T
        http://www.bikepics.com/members/cloudbreakmd/

Comment

Originally posted by cloudbreakmd View Post
          Hmmm... Might have to wait. Getting married next weekend and starting my new job this week and moving the day after my wedding. Gonna be busy... But I did clean the workshop out today. You would be proud
          Ya know, they say that moving/buying a house is one of the most stressfull events that we undertake. They say the same about getting married. And they say the same about getting a new job/switching jobs. You're plate is not only full...your cup runneth over!

Hopefully the next two weeks doesn't land you in a "Happy Meadows" type institution.

Best of luck!

Comment

CloudbreakMD is trying to see how much stress a person can handle in one month. Getting the 750T running again lowered the serotonin levels a bit but there are plenty more Mallox moments to choose from.

Back to the carbs.

I will go over the carbs and test them on my 650G. The jetting is off but they should run the bike. As long as I get them flowing gas and don't see any flooding I'll return them to you. Meanwhile, get those electrical connections cleaned up, it's embarrassing.

Comment

Well it just got worse... I just got my classic 73 coupe Mercedes back from my brother after he stole the carb from it and let it sit in the driveway until the rockers rusted through. $&)@$&)$@&$)(($)WW)_(#@#@$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
              2010 Honda VFR1200F
              Being Revisited
              1981 Honda CM400T

Comment

Get a rope.

Comment

Just gonna let the car go
                  I am a neurotic perfectionist and it will cost me a lot to get the car where I would be happy with it. Dammit...
                  2010 Honda VFR1200F
                  Being Revisited
                  1981 Honda CM400T

Comment

Well, actually I think that's a pretty healthy attitude. Take the proceeds and plow it into a GS restoration project. Don't forget to slip some Ex-Lax into bro's chocolate pudding next time you have him over for dinner. He shouldn't expect to get off completely free
                    Don

Comment

The original carbs need to be rebuilt, this time for real. I'll do a polish job on them and clean them up. CloudbreakMD gets to buy the parts and provide me with dinner someplace in Bethesda. Meanwhile the chain needs installation and other things tending to.

Comment

Spring is here and it's time to finish this. Monday we are going to do just that. With pics. Should be a hoot.

Comment

It was nice working on the bike again. While we didn't get a lot accomplished tonight I reacquainted myself with the bike.
                          I still want to replace a lot of fasteners, the foot pegs, rear foot brake lever, front fender, the tachometer, grips, control levers, and the switchgear. I know... Overkill but why not?
                          The carbs still have to be rebuilt (again). Duane is planning a little something with that, but I will let him expand on that when he's ready.
                          2010 Honda VFR1200F
                          Being Revisited
                          1981 Honda CM400T

Comment

We have somewhat of a mystery in that the throttle cable is too tight. It doesn't seem possible to get the required 1/16" of play in the cable before engaging the valve. I have the adjustments all the way down and it's still tight.

The cable is orginal, the mounts are too. Does anyone have a part number for the throttle cable of a 750T visible on their housings?

The carbs are not in the greatest shape. One bore is corroded, an idle adjuster is stripped, and they have been worked around a bit. I cleaned them up to make them work and we will use them on a temp basis until the other set can be rebuilt to exacting standards. Spring is here so we need to ride.

Comment

That's weird with the throttle cable. Are you sure the cable bracket on the carbs are on properly and the cable is routed properly?
                              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

The cable housing isn't tight and there aren't other options for running it. I haven't gone into the grip yet since CloudbreakMD sez he didn't open the assembly but that's the next step.

Comment

Working...
                                X