Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pics of the actual coils:

And new silicone 8mm wires:

One more pic of the rear hub (Why? Well, because I took the pic).

2010 Honda VFR1200F
    1983 Suzuki GS750T (sold)
    Being Revisited
    1981 Honda CM400T
    http://www.bikepics.com/members/cloudbreakmd/

Comment

Wheels are off at the shop being mounted. The old coils have been removed and the new coils... We need to create a mount.

The amount of new OEM parts... You don't even want to know. This is just from one pile.
      2010 Honda VFR1200F
      Being Revisited
      1981 Honda CM400T

Comment

2010 Honda VFR1200F
        Being Revisited
        1981 Honda CM400T

Comment

I love the giant knife sitting where the seat goes. I think it is a nice addition.

Comment

Originally posted by Skyboy8950 View Post
            I love the giant knife sitting where the seat goes. I think it is a nice addition.
            Oh that... It's to drive into my heart if we have any more issues today.

The tires are balanced and on the rims.
            2010 Honda VFR1200F
            Being Revisited
            1981 Honda CM400T

Comment

Ok coils are mounted. We crank the bike and got it to cough but very intermittently. Still won't start. Checked the plugs (new) and there is a healthy fat blue spark. Tried starting fluid... nada. Priming the bowls... nada. Blowing through the vent hoses... small sputter (again very intermittently---> probably coincidental).

Enough for today. So what actually got done today? The tires were mounted/balanced, the axles cleaned and greased, old chain adjusted, carbs re-pulled and inspected, coils installed and wires installed. In other words... nothing.
              Last edited by cloudbreakmd; 07-29-2008, 12:52 AM.
              2010 Honda VFR1200F
              Being Revisited
              1981 Honda CM400T

Comment

Originally posted by cloudbreakmd View Post
                Which would be more useful? RenoBruces oil temp or pressure gauge for my bike? And chrome to match the air-box covers and pipe or black to match the motor?

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=125075
                Knowing the black engine and your cam covers in custom black I have to be the decending opinion and suggest black for the gauges. The chrome may just stick out like a sore thumb - esp as the grey paint tank toned down the bike.

BTW - I'm looking for a label the signal/high beam swtich, did you need one, if so did you find one? What do you plan to do with the collor on the kill swtich? Mine is even more pink than yours - can they be painted?
                Last edited by yasser; 07-30-2008, 08:21 PM.
                Hondas
                '73 ATC70 '85 XL125S '02 XR650L
                Suzuki
                '83 gs750t vin#551 '97 DR650
                Kaw
                '89 KLR650

sigpic

Comment

Yaser,

I thought about the chrome/black thing, but it might be sort of cool. Ok, who's good with photoshop? Make me a picture. And go.....

I was thinking the same thing about the sticker. I need one as well and haven't sourced it yet.

The start switch? I don't know yet. I was really hoping to find a new switch... But then again I always hope to win the lottery as well

If you find a solution to our mutual dilemma, let me know.

I am a little frustrated at not being able to start it yet. Hopefully it is just a crossed wire leading to the coils But maybe my bike will be your screen saver again
                  Last edited by cloudbreakmd; 07-31-2008, 01:16 AM.
                  2010 Honda VFR1200F
                  Being Revisited
                  1981 Honda CM400T

Comment

Spray a little gas in the carb throats and try it right away. If it catches it is carb related, if not it is timing or ignition.
                    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

I'll let you know of course.

The faded pink Engine Stop switch is what I am looking at on my T. Can I just pop it out and spray bomb it red again and would it last?

Because your bike is being such a bugger; even after that grand day when you get it to start reliably you'll never take it for granted and have a strong sense of accomplishment every time it fires up.

Still cheering you on!! Now get back in there and wrench.
                      Last edited by yasser; 07-31-2008, 11:40 PM.
                      Hondas
                      '73 ATC70 '85 XL125S '02 XR650L
                      Suzuki
                      '83 gs750t vin#551 '97 DR650
                      Kaw
                      '89 KLR650

sigpic

Comment

I was thinking of very lightly sanding the top of the switch to take off the faded part of the pink button.

As far as working on it... I might take another crack it this evening.
                        2010 Honda VFR1200F
                        Being Revisited
                        1981 Honda CM400T

Comment

Originally posted by duaneage View Post
                          Spray a little gas in the carb throats and try it right away. If it catches it is carb related, if not it is timing or ignition.
                          Duane,
                          I previously tried starting fluid and it was a no go (prior post). I have narrowed it down to ignition or timing. Just got to find some time to make it right.
                          2010 Honda VFR1200F
                          Being Revisited
                          1981 Honda CM400T

Comment

I was thinking of very lightly sanding the top of the switch to take off the faded part of the pink button.

As far as working on it... I might take another crack it this evening.
                            I have experimented with glass beading plastic parts with some success. I use lower pressure at the nozzle so it does not destroy the part. If you want to send me parts for glass beading PM me and I'll do it no charge.

Comment

Duane,
                              I previously tried starting fluid and it was a no go (prior post). I have narrowed it down to ignition or timing. Just got to find some time to make it right.
                              I think your coils are reversed, try reversing 2-4 and 1-3 and see if that works

Comment

Do you have an old fashioned timing light to test with? There are 1-4 AND 2-3 marks on the pickups at the crank that indicate firing time and mechanical advance points. Cranking with the light connected would verify not just spark but timing and if the correct coils are lighting up.

I would also check the mechanical advance to see if it is stuck high. It should be able to return to it's resting position if you twist it. If the mechanical advance does not move freely take it off (careful for the springs) and see what the deal is.

Comment

Working...
                                X