metallic tapping noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

motorcycle pic

Took my first ride of the seaon this afternoon. A 50 miler break in ride. The motor sounded very smooth and it shifts much smoother now. And no leaks

Comment

Hey Dave, very friggin cool man!! And no leaks to boot, .....I bet you feel great! Good Job!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_17954 View Post
        Thanks guys. When I get all my digital pix sorted out I'll post a link to my photobucket so others can use them for reference. I referred back to them many times during my rebuild. Or if anyone has any particular pic they would like to see of a 1981 internal gs650gl engine let me know and I can send/show I've got them all. For example heres my worn 2nd gear on the lower right which Bribird spotted after I showed him a pic of my transmisson gears one evening. When in doubt take pix as you go.. You never know when they will come in handy. And when your all done burn them to a cd and put them with your repair manual for future reference.
        Dave what was the problem with 2nd gear. It looks Ok in the picture.

Comment

if you look close at the insert in the hub you can see the discoloration on the one side.... it was very sloppy on the layshaft there. the teeth and dogs on the opposite side are perfectly fine but that insert was worn a bunch. it basically would wobble on the shaft. My bike has around 32,000 miles on it and the gear i got from bribird he said it only had around 10,000 on that motor and that gear was a much snugger fit. I noticed today when I was riding it shifted a whole bunch smoother.....better to replace now instead of tearing it back apart later......

Comment

oil leak

Ok have got my first oil leak today. As you can see in the pic the leak is coming from the inner lip of the seal. The seal is in place and the spring is good. This is a new seal btw. This was after a 60 mile ride today. It wasn't pouring out or anything but i noticed a spray on the side of my shoe when i got home. Its not leaking at all on the outer edge anywhere but just on the inner edge where it sits on the crank. It looks worse in the pic but I think that is due to the close-up. I wiped it all down and it hasnt leaked in the past 3 hrs just sitting there. It was leaking while riding. Could this come from over filling the crankcase with oil? The service manual says to add 3.9 us quarts for a complete overhaul. I added a full 4 qts. It was above the full mark on the sight glass. For just an oil and filter change it calls for 3.4 qts. I drained it down to between the low and high marks on the sight glass but wont be able to ride til tomorrow to check on it. could it be that there was just a little to much oil and thus a bit to much pressure on this seal? never leaked here before the rebuild.

Comment

That little bit of extra oil wouldn't hurt.
              Is that seal in backwards?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

the arrow pointing down is where the oil was coming from after leaked from the seal then from there the wind from riding would catch it and blow it back to my shoe on the footpeg the other arrow. its not a lot just enough to aggrevate you . does anyone know what the opening is for on the bottom of the cover? notice the seal is still dry this after i had wiped it down and it has been sitting for a few hours.

Comment

its the one that fools everybody lol. I tripled checked this one before I put it in. it looks backwards but it is in correct...

Comment

Wow, a two valve plain bearing 650, I thought all 650's were roller bearing. Are you sure that seal is in the right way? usually there are lips facing outwards

Comment

heres a pic from my service manual showing the seal....

Comment

Hey brother Dave, I hate to say it but I did not put my new seal in that way, and no leaks from mine. It really does look backwards....anyway, wrong or not its leaking so its gotta go. I would order another from suzuki.

Comment

this is a pic of the seal area before I put it in.....

Comment

There was a thread a while ago, that seal was in backwards on the bike pictured in the manual.
                            I think it was a GS 1000, but it's worth checking into.
                            The hole is to let any leaking oil drip out before it takes out the ignition.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

the old one was in this way and according to the service manual pic its why I put it in this way.....
                              I just checked my microfiche and it shows it in the other like you say bribird. Heres another shot from my service manual. Are we saying that all the pix of this are wrong in the service manual? Tell me it isnt so pleeeeeeeeeeeze .
                              Last edited by Guest; 04-08-2009, 09:31 PM.

Comment

That pic looks like its in backward for sure

Comment

Working...
                                X