No announcement yet.

Rectifier/Regulator replacement list

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i have a 79 gs750l, will any of the fet regulators work? mine is going out and i need a replacement. checked flea-bay and cant find the fh-012aa model. any newer bikes you guys know of that have this type of r/r that would be compatable w/ my bike. thanks.

Comment

Yes, it should work with no problems as long as it is 3 phase and your bike is 3 phase which they are.

Comment

thanks alot

Comment

i found a fh0012 r/r on e bay.(hoping not a rip-off) with this r/r being 50a and all and charging at lower rpm's would i be able to run more lights and/or accessories without a problem? im not an electrician and id hate to ruin something on the bike. thanks, bill

Comment

Err hold on there guys ive just had a quick skim of this thread & some of the bikes listed as having reg/rec's suitable for use on a gs have it fitted as an internal part of the alternator Eg its all in one casing piggybacked onto the back of the motor as in gsxr's etc

Now while the numbers may check out trying to fit or remove one of this type of reg/rec is a right royal PITA & are easilly damaged so i'd say sticking to ones that came as a seperate component is a better idea

unless i'm missing something of course it wouldnt be the first time
            Last edited by Guest; 08-13-2009, 05:22 AM.

Comment

Excellent work posplayr - I enjoyed your research and will need to read through it in more detail. The o'scope displays were particularly of interest and confirmed my own perceptions. (Oh to have a scope - how envious I am!)

Given the relatively low current load of the GS, perhaps the FH008 might be a quite suitable alternative replacement. This is used on late-model Honda CBR600 predominantly and until recently, the 1000 (which now uses the FH014).
              I use the '012 on my Suzuki TL and the Triumph Daytona, but the FH008 on my wife's SV650S - and the load on it is greater than the GS (twin headlights for starters)
              Until the recent EBay listing by a seller with multiple FH012 units for sale at an incredible price, the FH008 offered advantage in cost - with the popularity of the 012 retrofit across all marques, the price was beginning to increase dramatically, reaching about $75 asp until this seller came along.
              But still overall lower cost, since the special Furukawa connectors are not required, as the FH008 come with attached harness as opposed to fixed connectors. Also a nice compact unit that makes installation somewhat simpler and more flexible.
              So maybe worthy consideration for the GS.

Thankyou again for your fabulous contributions.

Comment

Originally posted by DEcosse View Post
                Excellent work posplayr - I enjoyed your research and will need to read through it in more detail. The o'scope displays were particularly of interest and confirmed my own perceptions. (Oh to have a scope - how envious I am!)

Thanks for the consideration. The Scope sure helps and was money well spent.

Comment

Which of the optional connectors do you need on the Eastern Beaver Loom if any?

Yazaki or Sumitumo seem to be the options...

Dan
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                  1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                  1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                  2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                  1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                  2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

This is an awesome list. Thanks for taking the time to do it. I think this should be a sticky.

Comment

So I hear this great stuff about the Shindengen FH-012AA. I hear nothing about the Shindengen FH-010BA which I'd guess is pretty darn close. Can anyone tell me what the difference is besides a larger form factor on the 10BA?

Comment

Originally posted by POE_333 View Post
                        So I hear this great stuff about the Shindengen FH-012AA. I hear nothing about the Shindengen FH-010BA which I'd guess is pretty darn close. Can anyone tell me what the difference is besides a larger form factor on the 10BA?
                        If you look at the beginning of the thread you would find:

Kawasaki ZX10 2005 Shindengen FH-010BA 12V 50A rating 14.3V -15.1V (mounting holes 3 mm wider than GS, may need bracket)
                        Even more if you do a search:

Comment

LMFAO! posplayr...

see here

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                            Which of the optional connectors do you need on the Eastern Beaver Loom if any?

Yazaki or Sumitumo seem to be the options...

Dan
                            I went with the Yazaki, only because they are black and would blend in with all the dirt.
                            I see no functional differences.

Originally posted by POE_333 View Post
                            So I hear this great stuff about the Shindengen FH-012AA. I hear nothing about the Shindengen FH-010BA which I'd guess is pretty darn close.
                            Well, there has been an answer posted on how the 010 compares. There has also been a post that said the 008 would probably also work, and not require the Furukawa connectors. I am venturing out to test something else. I found the FH-009 to be the same size, with what I suspect to be the same current handling capability, but has the sixth wire for voltage sensing. Have not had a chance to test it out yet, but will when I get home. One big advantage of the 009 is price. I have seen a couple of them go on eBay for about $10, but had to pay $15 for mine. If it works, it will be somewhat the find of a lifetime. Imagine, a new-technology FET R/R for less than half the price of what we have been thinking is a great deal. On the other hand, it might not work at all, but I am willing to take that chance for the rest of you guys and gals.

sigpic
                            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride
                            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

This is what a FH-010-BA looks like...
                              This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

it fits under the '850's battery box quite nicely.

the only FET style R/R that will not work in most space constraints is the FH-011-xx series.
                              Yamaha YZF-R1 04-06 Shindengen FH-011AA 12V 50 Amps / 100V rating 14.3V - 15.1V (has very tall fins, consider if enough space)
                              De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

I got my FH008 mounted today

I made a plate to mount it right where the old regulator went on my GS1000

The plate.. Ignore that extra hole.. That punch mark was umm not the right one

R/R mounted.. Just need to wire it up as soon as I find where I put the inserts for the plug set.

Comment

Working...
                                X