Magnusen's GS1000 rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smagnusen View Post
    If by procedure you mean something other than plug chops then no. I hadn't quite gotten that far but was planning on rereading the tuning guides. I believe you essentially divide the throttle up and chop under each circuit - can't remember if it's top down or bottom up with the VMs. Was also thinking about getting a color tune.
    Bottom up with VMs, start with idle, then fuel screws, idle jets, needles, then main jets.
    Don't think a color tune would help much but maybe that's because I've never used one.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Sounds good, looks like there's 4 different types of jets, large and small, round and hex, and they're for different size needle jets, I think they're round but don't know if they're the large or small size.

On the plug chop, am I doing idle, then 1/4, 1/2, 3/4/ and WO? Thanks.

Comment

On the plug chop, am I doing idle, then 1/4, 1/2, 3/4/ and WO? Thanks.
        Adjust the valve clearances, synch the carbs, get the igniton perfect if you are running points.
        Idle - set the air screws for highest idle. Next at just the tiniest of throttle openings, put the fuel screws in until the throttle response gets a slight bit less than perfect then put them back out a hair. Talking about maybe enough throttle to go something like ten mph in first gear, You are feeling for perfect throttle response at the smallest of throttle openings, put the fuel screws as far in as you can without losing this response. Keep the screws together, move them all at once. Then do the plug chops at higher throttle settings for the pilot jet, and jet needle clip position and finally the main jet. On Vm carbs the main jet does not really effect how the bike runs at low power, in fact you can leave the main jets out and it should run just fine up to around 2/3 - 3/4 throttle if the needles are set right.

There is a lot more info available on Basscliff's website.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Much thanks tkent, that's really helpful. I'll hop over to basscliff's site as well.

Comment

Ordered most of the last parts I need to get me up and running (not that anyone cares but I'm excited :-)

From www.Z1enterprises.com
            Jets 120, 122.5, and 150, Stainless case bolts, Dyna ignition wires, electrical terminals to replace my burned ones.

From www.cyclepartsnation.com
            Case gaskets, a new Breaker Cover, S Fairing Brackets, Oil Filter, other miscellanea

I got a pretty good deal on some 3 ohm dyna coils on ebay

Question: I'm using breakers and for now, the original seperate r/r. I measured the resistance on my existing coils, expecting them to be 5 ohms, and they both came in at 3.9 - So, am I putting a 1 ohm ballast resistor in with the 3 ohm dyna coils? Thanks.

----------

So while I'm waiting on this and other stuff to start piling up at my door, I thought I'd have a go at all the corrosion and yellowed clear coat on my forks, springs, and side covers. I also hit the gas tank cover. I suppose I could have cleaned that bench off too, but, well, got no excuse on that one.

The bike had been dropped on both sides, breaking the breaker cover, ironic, and beating the crumbs out of the left side cover. I ordered a new breaker cover but didn't have any luck on getting a decent left-hand cover.

Instead, I had at with a sander - ended up taking the recessed emblem area off completely. I wasn't going to put one on anyway and like the clean look.

I had spent several days polishing the covers on my 550, hitting them with 400, 800, 1500 sandpaper, then going to a homemade wheel with emory, then trivoli. It took a long time.

Not wanting to do that again, I took my mandrel off and threw it on a much bigger, faster motor. From around 1700 rpm 1/3 hp to a 3600 rpm 1 hp motor. I thought it'd be way too fast. It was a little intimidating working with it at first, but it got the job done 10 times as fast. I skipped the hand sanding completely, just used more emory and cut in with some pressure at all the corrosion. A dremmel with a polishing tip was great for getting around bolt holes.

My parts start coming in tommorow, can't wait to start final assembly.

Comment

looking good man, there is a real nice 1000 someone done google it for a pic, it is sharp, i love the red paint

Comment

Can't resist posting one more, yosh muffler-

Instant gratification here. Really. What could be more satisfying making these old corroded parts look like new, or better than new, in minutes.

I just got a NOS breaker cover in the mail yesterday, and I was suprised how poor of a finish it has. Suzuki didn't bother to polish into the small concave areas. Oh well, it's clear-coated so I'm not going to mess with it.

Anyone have an answer on my ballast resistor question? Some of these resistors have 4 terminals, and I'm wondering if they're designed for 2 coils? Here's one:

Holley is home to the top automotive performance brands including Flowmaster exhaust, MSD Ignition, Holley EFI, Hurst Shifters, Accel plug wires, Hooker Headers and many more.
                Last edited by Guest; 09-13-2009, 01:35 AM.

Comment

resistor answer anyone?

Comment

The GS is mostly done for the season, and although I have more to post about the rebuild I was excited to get up a couple pics. Here's the before and after:

Last edited by Guest; 10-06-2009, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Very nice work

What did you do with the battery and electricals?

Do I see the R/R hanging down under the seat?
                      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                      2007 DRz 400S
                      1999 ATK 490ES
                      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Sharp eyes Big T - the electronics are just under the seat. I originally had them right side up but flipped them over. I decided exposing the old R/R to air flow outweighed the risks of the occasional splash.

I was able to get a gel type battery to fit into the tail piece.

Comment

Did you lay the AGM battery on its side?

I'm working towards a similar set up with the Fridge, but with Katana forks and wheels and GS 1100 aluminum swing arm.
                          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                          2007 DRz 400S
                          1999 ATK 490ES
                          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

The battery is on its side. It's not the smallest AGM, but I wanted a little cranking power. I had to remove the compartment door and hack a little out of the rear where it approaches the tail light. It fits nicely though.

Comment

The battery is on its side. It's not the smallest AGM, but I wanted a little cranking power. I had to remove the compartment door and hack a little out of the rear where it approaches the tail light. It fits nicely though.
                              Can you post some pics if your electronics and battery with your seat removed please?

Comment

Very nice work. I usually lean to the restoration side of the equation BUT I can appreciate GREAT work when I see it!

That bike looks "flickable and fast" just leaning on the side stand. Impression/look well executed.

Comment

Working...
                                X