No announcement yet.

Magnusen's GS1000 rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the compliments guys. I been having a great time riding through the fall. It's Nov 2nd now and 60F in Chicago. I couldn't wait to take a nice long cruise North up Sheridan road along Lake Michigan today.

However, I wanted to give her a quick inspection. I've noticed a chunk noise as i'm pulling away from a stop - not sure if it's just gears re-engaging or something else - anyway we'll table that for a minute. First I've got to fix this - found one of my acorn nuts that holds the left suspension on was on a bit of an angle, looked cross-threaded. I pulled it off and found this:

Nasty. Three washers spanned the remains of the threads, and the acorn was held on by nothing. So what are the opinions about the best way to fix this. I'm thinking of trying to rethread to a smaller diameter, though it's pretty gnarled up. My other thought was to drill and pin, though that's not as strong and there's no way to tighten it.
    Last edited by Guest; 11-02-2009, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Retap the threads to one smaller diameter and go. Try Harbor Freight if you don't have a Tap and Die kit.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

thats nice,once again resourse member makes me want go to the garage and get busy....

Comment

Originally posted by smagnusen View Post
          The H.F. gun mods are simple and seem to be recommended by many. The main idea is to move the powder hopper off the top of the gun to a seperate location. From what I've gathered, this improves the cloud and helps prevent spitting. What you want to do is run tubing to and from the gun to a seperate powder container - I used mason jars because of the storage convenience, tight seals, and availabilty. I'll get some pics to show you - the whole mod takes an hour. They also recommend you open the gun's airflow to the maximum position, and feather some of the molding from the gun's nozzle area and tips. In my case, I found it best to remove the tip altogther to get the powder directed forcefully enough to get into the tight spots. Here's a link where LeeGS550e gives some helpful info and sage powder advice

Also, www.caswellplating.com has a decent forum and you can search for more mod info.

Here is a link to the Remote gun mod

Comment

you have a lil wire welder? i would cut it off, drill out the rest, then put in a new stud

Comment

Thanks posplayer, that's the one, I havesome pics of mine early on in the thread. I used that hf gun and a thrift store toaster oven to do freshen a lot of the little parts - kick stand, carb bodies, footrests, etc. a few moments under a hobby abrasive blaster a a quick powder coat keeps parts looking new and goes a long way protecting them the elements.

Comment

Springtime, time to get going.

I need help sorting out a fuel problem, discovered end of last season.

There is sometimes a fuel smell while the bike is sitting.
                I also discovered a fuel smell in the case.
                The petcock seemed to be functioning properly, not letting fuel by without vacuum.
                The overflow tubes may have just a drop of gas in them from time to time, but they are not dumping.
                What I thought was strange - when I went to winterize last year after not riding for a couple weeks, I went to drain the bowls, and they were all empty, the gas tank was not.

I'm looking for things to start checking. I did a complete and careful rebuild on the carbs last year, checking needle valve condition and float levels, but that doesn't mean I didn't miss something. Thanks guys!
                Last edited by Guest; 03-26-2010, 11:09 AM.

Comment

My 650 has the same slight odor at times. I noticed last fall that after the bike sat for a month or so that it wouldn't start. Had me a bit woried for a couple of hours till I thought to put it on prime. Started up after I let it sit for a minute or so. I posted here and folks assured me that it's normal for the bowls to empty after several weeks of no use. I no empert but I'm not worried about mine unless someone tells me otherwise. Good luck.

cg
                  sigpic
                  83 GS1100g
                  2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

I dunno if this picture helps you any Magnusen.
                    I scanned and cropped the cover of one of my motorcycle mags from mid year 1979.
                    Wes Cooley on a (presumably a `79) Suzuki 1000. I know its not an "S" bike but....
                    The article was an AWESOME read too. What worked and what didn't, etc.
                    You gonna throw the decals on yours too?

Comment

I guess I'm a glad to know it's somewhat normal for the bowls to go empty Charlie, thanks. Not sure where it's going, I'm going to pull my carbs today and recheck float levels and needle valves.

Rick, of course that picture helps! -love it, what magazine is it from, will keep my eye out for a copy.

Comment

Originally posted by smagnusen View Post
                        Rick, of course that picture helps! -love it, what magazine is it from, will keep my eye out for a copy.
                        Cycle World, May `79

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                          The pipe is probably Yosh, but it's not period.

4-1 headers, back in the day, did not have cans on the end.

They were a header and a megaphone.

Actually they were just straight pipes as seen in this shot. No cans and Yoshimura as far as I know has never made a megaphone-style header. They did make, for a very limited run, some 4-into-2 systems with twin megaphones but never on a 4-into-1. I would lose the can and weld up the holes. FYI if it's a Yosh pipe you should see some numbers stamped on the collector. Mine for my 1000S is stamped "GS100"

Comment

Working...
                          X