Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need my head examined (beware monster pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steve View Post
    You using Photobucket? I don't remember where I found the settings, but I have all pictures that I put in Photobucket automatically re-sized to 800x600. Not only does it save space on their site, it shows pictures here in a comfortable size. Given the resolution of most monitors, you will not see any degradation of picture quality.
    Me thinks you need a better monitor

Pictures look great!

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
      Yeah....Valve seals....All can be done my brutha...but I suggest you get to cleaning up that head. You have some digi calipers? Gonna need to check those rings. Im a lil worried bout that. But it LOOKS (and im a shade tree mechanic mind you) like most of the problem stems from the valve seals (and hopefully NOT the stems) as the piston heads are oiled up pretty bad and its washed out over the sides above the compression ring. honestly Im a bit surprised. I havent ever seen that thing smoke. But, ive also never really paid all that much attention to it either. Its a bit worse looking than i expected..but nothing we cant take care of. Might take us more than one day perhaps now though.
      Yeah, calipers and mics too. I just haven't got to that step yet. Good grief, I just got the cylinders off tonight before the game. (I got on base 3 times, 3 RBIs and a fly ball straight to me in right field and we still lost. Heckuva good game though.) Tomorrow I'll go 'round the corner to HF and get set up for the walnut shells. I might even go to the HW store and get a chunk of pipe to make a valve spring compressor. I have to cut the stupid grass tomorrow evening, though.

I bought a can of Berryman's to clean my front master cylinder back in the spring. I guess I can get the pistons started in there too. I heard somewhere that the snap rings that hold the wrist pins need to be replaced if you remove them. Is true?
      Dogma
      --
      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
      '80 GS850 GLT
      '80 GS1000 GT
      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
        I need to go to a drive in theater to see those pics.
        I can see more detail in the photos than I can with my nekkid eyes!
        Dogma
        --

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
        '80 GS850 GLT
        '80 GS1000 GT
        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

So, was the motor burning oil?
          Not that anyone ever observed. Not out the exhaust anyhow. It seemed to be blowing it out the crankcase breather and soaking the back of the engine. Most recently at a rate of 1qt/500mi. But that was another thread.
          Dogma
          --

--
          '80 GS850 GLT
          '80 GS1000 GT
          '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

I've reused wrist pin clips with no problem.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I can see the dead moth on a piston.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
                Yeah, calipers and mics too. I just haven't got to that step yet. Good grief, I just got the cylinders off tonight before the game. (I got on base 3 times, 3 RBIs and a fly ball straight to me in right field and we still lost. Heckuva good game though.) Tomorrow I'll go 'round the corner to HF and get set up for the walnut shells. I might even go to the HW store and get a chunk of pipe to make a valve spring compressor. I have to cut the stupid grass tomorrow evening, though.

I bought a can of Berryman's to clean my front master cylinder back in the spring. I guess I can get the pistons started in there too. I heard somewhere that the snap rings that hold the wrist pins need to be replaced if you remove them. Is true?
                Youre going to need to fabricate a wrist pin puller if you dont already have one.. I know how, but you'll need some supplies. Honestly, I would just go at it with some carb cleaner, a wire brush and some steel wool and fine FINE sandpaper for the piston skirts. Pulling the pistons is IMO unnecessary and time consuming. You just need to get the domes and the sides PRETTY clean, spotless, in this time frame, is a luxury. Just my opinion though.

Comment

I've reused wrist pin clips with no problem.
                  Some of them bend a little when you take them out, the correct answer is to replace but that might not always happen.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Replace the clips for sure on the side you remove. Regarding the need for a piston pin press, much of the time it's not necessary - I've never had the need.

I think some of you guys are jumping to a conclusion about the condition of the parts before everything is measured. When rebuilding my 1000 engine I checked three different cylinder heads before I found one with valve/guides within the service limit. Wound up purchasing a used head off ebay that was relatively low mileage before finding one that was decent. Pistons and cylinder bores wear as well. And sorry to contradict Josh but I'd never sand the piston skirt - you don't want to take off any material or the clearance will increase. Some scuffing won't hurt anything, just decarbon the pistons in carb dip and then measure them.

Good luck.
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                      Replace the clips for sure on the side you remove. Regarding the need for a piston pin press, much of the time it's not necessary - I've never had the need.

I think some of you guys are jumping to a conclusion about the condition of the parts before everything is measured. When rebuilding my 1000 engine I checked three different cylinder heads before I found one with valve/guides within the service limit. Wound up purchasing a used head off ebay that was relatively low mileage before finding one that was decent. Pistons and cylinder bores wear as well. And sorry to contradict Josh but I'd never sand the piston skirt - you don't want to take off any material or the clearance will increase. Some scuffing won't hurt anything, just decarbon the pistons in carb dip and then measure them.

Good luck.
                      Well, I didn't see anything that looked like scuff marks on the skirts. More like burnished. Looking back at the pics, #4 does look like it has some marks on it. I'll take a closer look when I inspect the rings. I am a little nervous about the idea of taking material off the skirts. I cut my finger on #3, so something is thin already.

Thinking about it now, instead of at 2:00 AM, if I can just brush the piston tops clean and be good enough, I'd rather do that.

Now here's a theory question: Why does the carbon have to some off? Is it likely to flake off someday and score the cylinder or something?
                      Dogma
                      --

--
                      '80 GS850 GLT
                      '80 GS1000 GT
                      '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

Well, I didn't see anything that looked like scuff marks on the skirts. More like burnished. Looking back at the pics, #4 does look like it has some marks on it. I'll take a closer look when I inspect the rings. I am a little nervous about the idea of taking material off the skirts. I cut my finger on #3, so something is thin already.

Thinking about it now, instead of at 2:00 AM, if I can just brush the piston tops clean and be good enough, I'd rather do that.

Now here's a theory question: Why does the carbon have to some off? Is it likely to flake off someday and score the cylinder or something?
                        Not to contradict Ed but since the piston itself never comes into contact with the cylinder wall, and your not sanding the ring grooves, and with some 1000 or 2000, or even 2500 grit sandpaper just to clean the burmishing (im not talking going to town with a Dremel on it) isnt going to take that much material off How much is that really going to change the spacing? ....but whatever. At any rate, Carbon shold be removed at the given opportunity because excessive carbon build up will actually change the compression ratio within the cylinder. Not to mention the fact that you let it stack up TOO much and you might start touching valves...HA!

Comment

Youre going to need to fabricate a wrist pin puller if you dont already have one.. I know how, but you'll need some supplies. Honestly, I would just go at it with some carb cleaner, a wire brush and some steel wool and fine FINE sandpaper for the piston skirts. Pulling the pistons is IMO unnecessary and time consuming. You just need to get the domes and the sides PRETTY clean, spotless, in this time frame, is a luxury. Just my opinion though.
                          On my 1100 it was pretty carboned up and it was a PITA to get the wrist pins out. In fact in hitting on the side of the piston with a mallet, ended up bunging up the pin hole entry and required some delicate garage machine work to get the pins to float again. All that is past me now as I bought a BB kit. Accoroding to RapidRay those pins should just glide and between the carbon and bunging up the ends of the piston gliding may not be there.

As far as sand paper, I have used 1000 grit to clean up carbon in cam journals on the ED with nice results. What looks like wear is really seems to be embedded carbon and a few rubs with the 1000 grit cleans to so it looks new. I guess the same could be done on the pistons. Even if you soak them, the hand held walnut blaster is nice because it just gets into all the places that you would have to Brush or scrape. It did a nice job of decarboning my old pistons after pulling the rings. Also sooting down teh intake and exhasust runners is nice without the real possibility of damaging the seats.

I think I would stay away from any engine with steel wool. Not something I would want to get near the inside of the engine. Even using the the sand paper, keep it away from the engine and clean the parts well after sanding.

Comment

Not to contradict Ed but since the piston itself never comes into contact with the cylinder wall, and your not sanding the ring grooves, and with some 1000 or 2000, or even 2500 grit sandpaper just to clean the burmishing (im not talking going to town with a Dremel on it) isnt going to take that much material off How much is that really going to change the spacing? ....but whatever. At any rate, Carbon shold be removed at the given opportunity because excessive carbon build up will actually change the compression ratio within the cylinder. Not to mention the fact that you let it stack up TOO much and you might start touching valves...HA!
                            Hey Josh,

The piston skirt contacts the cylinder wall (with a cushion of oil in between) with every stroke. The skirt gets scuffed up because of this contact. The skirts don’t tend to wear much but still, I can’t see any good coming from sanding on them. Regarding removing the carbon, carbon often gets into the top ring groove so inspect for that carefully. Carbon build up will bind up the rings so removing all the carbon is always a good idea.
                            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Gonna have to disagree with my mechanic on this one. The skirts are there for no other reason than to touch the cylinder wall and keep the piston straight. Otherwise pistons would be nothing more than the face, ring grooves, and wrist pin mounts in order to keep the mass down and get higher revs.

Do I sound like an engineer? Head full of information and opinions, still can't do it myself (yet).
                              Dogma
                              --

--
                              '80 GS850 GLT
                              '80 GS1000 GT
                              '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

Gonna have to disagree with my mechanic on this one. The skirts are there for no other reason than to touch the cylinder wall and keep the piston straight. Otherwise pistons would be nothing more than the face, ring grooves, and wrist pin mounts in order to keep the mass down and get higher revs.

Do I sound like an engineer? Head full of information and opinions, still can't do it myself (yet).
                                One other job the skirts do is to transfer heat from the piston to the cylinder walls through this contact.

Sanding contact areas on pistons is commonly done on two stroke pistons, don't know if most folks do it to four stroke pistons. I have only done it to clean up very rough areas.

Cleaning carbon is nice to make your engine pretty inside if that's important to you. Unless there are large enough deposits to cause preignition or alter the compression ratio it's not a problem. I like to clean them before it all gets disassembled by running a little water injection through a hot engine.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                                X