Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need my head examined (beware monster pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
    Ah. Well, we haven't had as much practice with those as some people around here, Jim.
    BahhhZINGGG!! heheheheh

Comment

'Nother update. She's mostly together and running. I say mostly together because I forgot to hook up the choke cable and put the side covers on. The side covers I didn't notice until I got back from the little test ride.

The little test ride was too short. Not because I was running out of daylight (I did) but because I only had about %60 power. It's smooth, just less power through the whole rpm range. I'm thinking a massive air leak? The exhaust sounds more throaty too. Maybe louder than it used to be, but different.

Here's why I'm thinking about an air leak. Someone in my oily airbox thread asked if the top of the airbox was rusted shut. So, after washing the oil off my airbox, I decided to double-check that, just to be sure. Well, it's closed up pretty well. I couldn't shove a wire though it either way. So, I grabbed a former can of Mountain Dew and improvised a catch can. But I didn't think to cap off the nipple on the airbox. I didn't think I needed to. I'm thinking now that air can still get through, and in largist quantities. I couldn't get the hose back on the airbox with the tank on, so I brought it home and parked it. I'm done for tonight. It felt good to ride it anyway.
      Last edited by Dogma; 07-16-2009, 07:39 AM.
      Dogma
      --
      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
      '80 GS850 GLT
      '80 GS1000 GT
      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

I was thinking last night (I know, big mistake). I hope I didn't screw up the cam timing. It seems to be a better explanation of a change in the sounds of the exhaust.
        Dogma
        --

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
        '80 GS850 GLT
        '80 GS1000 GT
        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

I was thinking last night (I know, big mistake). I hope I didn't screw up the cam timing. It seems to be a better explanation of a change in the sounds of the exhaust.
          If you followed the book, its pretty hard to screw up. Although, the first couple of times i did it, i had to figure out the best way of going about it so that when i tightened the cam caps down, the cams didnt roll forward a little..

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
            If you followed the book, its pretty hard to screw up. Although, the first couple of times i did it, i had to figure out the best way of going about it so that when i tightened the cam caps down, the cams didnt roll forward a little..
            Yeah, it really is straightforward. I even double-checked after I tightened the caps. But the lighting in that corner of the garage isn't great, especially at that time of night, and I can't remember anymore if I aligned it to the "1" or the arrow next to it. With that and the tolerance stated in the book for the alignment, I may have the cams advanced one tooth.

Am I ever glad I bought a Real Gasket for the cam cover! I'm tempted to cut some out for the other gaskets too. I'm sure that stuff is available in sheets somewhere.
            Dogma
            --

--
            '80 GS850 GLT
            '80 GS1000 GT
            '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

More updating... Last night I reconnected the vent hose to close the airbox leak. No real change. Crap. Yank the appropriate covers and find that I had aligned to the wrong mark on the crank. Duh! Throw it all back together and hit the road about 8:45. That was about 2.5 hours to pull the both cams, fix the timing, reassemble and hit the road. I may be getting good at this.

So where do I go first? Straight to Dayton where Josh helps me out with getting the forks and springs swapped. That's right Jim, the forks too. I had a nice, clean set off of ebay that I was planning to swap on anyway. We started disassembling things, and Josh pronounced the seals good. I had not bothered to look at them yet, so I'm pleasantly surprised. That saved us some time. We polished most of one of the lower tubes before I decided I really should do that some other time. Put it back together, did some testing, and figured out that the stock steel spacers gave me the right preload. Oh, and I finally got to meet Rose and Cole. Nice people.

Back on the road by 2:15ish AM, and the new Progressives are behaving as advertised. Less dive under braking, and a bit quicker steering. I find the ride to be slightly harsher.

When I got home, there's oil all over my right toe. *sigh* The bottom right side of the engine is wet. I don't know yet if this is faulty gasketry or some new stage of the previous oil problem. I'm tired everywhere this morning. What was the trick? Talc on a clean engine to help find an oil leak? Why didn't I try that a month ago?
              Last edited by Dogma; 07-17-2009, 07:54 AM.
              Dogma
              --

--
              '80 GS850 GLT
              '80 GS1000 GT
              '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

One other thing. The back light on my speedo blinked out on the ride home. What's up with that? It came back on when I banged on it.
                Dogma
                --

--
                '80 GS850 GLT
                '80 GS1000 GT
                '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

Clean the engine with brake cleaner and get some spray on foot powder.
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

One other thing. The back light on my speedo blinked out on the ride home. What's up with that? It came back on when I banged on it.
                    Clean and assure it has a good connection. I went nuts tracking a 'works when it wanted' signal/running light...just a bad and dirty connection...

On the oil, what Bill said, track it down, your motor is pretty clean now, but some clues will be WHERE is the oil ending up. its tough sometimes, cause it ends up all over the place. I remember on my 1100G that i thought i had a blown base, ended up being yet another CRAP Cometic tensioner gasket... but it BLEW EVERYWHERE...

Also, how FULL is your oil? Ive found that if you fill it at ALL above the F mark, it will find its way out. Leave it just under, and my bikes dont leak a drop...

Comment

Brake cleaner huh? I thought that stuff ate paint.

Tensioner gasket... Mine is now a Felpro homemade number, since it's not in the "complete" gasket kit. Wherever the leak is, I'll find it. The oil is doesn't seem to be any further forward than the clutch cover, so I'm hoping it's that. I have 2 on hand. I'll think about the speedo light later.
                      Dogma
                      --

--
                      '80 GS850 GLT
                      '80 GS1000 GT
                      '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

Brake cleaner huh? I thought that stuff ate paint.

Tensioner gasket... Mine is now a Felpro homemade number, since it's not in the "complete" gasket kit. Wherever the leak is, I'll find it. The oil is doesn't seem to be any further forward than the clutch cover, so I'm hoping it's that. I have 2 on hand. I'll think about the speedo light later.
                        Double check your torques, but theres not much in the way of pressure behind that clutch cover, so its PROBABLY not the culprit unless its simply loose or you've managed to gouge it some how (i know you better than that tho) Id hate to think the base gasket rings are a problem...i hope not.. Double check your galley bolt too... if you took it out that is.

Comment

What's a galley bolt? That little cover where the oil pressure sensor is?

Gouge the clutch cover? I've never had to scrape it. The gasket always stays on the case whenever I have the cover off, and never sticks even slightly to the cover. It still has the gasket from the PO, which means it's at least 18 yeas old.

Anyhow, de-oiled, de-greased, and mostly de-road-grimed the bottom side of the engine today. Some of tat stuff is really on there. thankfully, it doesn't need to come off for this test. I also got the rust cleaned out of the airbox. There wasn't much crankcase breathing going on through there. I should look for a spray can of that rust converting/sealing paint to shoot through there.

Tomorrow I'll reassemble it and see if de-rusting the airbox relieved enough crankcase pressure to stop the leak. My guess is that whatever gasket let go is permanently compromised though. Even if I can't get it to leak, I'll change the clutch cover and oil pan gaskets just to make sure they're fresh and undamaged.

In my cleaning today, I only saw oil on the bottom of the engine, and some oil on top of the case. The stuff on top is possibly left over from the stuff that didn't make it through the airbox. Or maybe my tensioner gasket didn't hold. At any rate, I saw nothing around the head gasket area, and nothing on the front. Nothing new on the left side of the engine, and it wasn't very wet (maybe misted) in the area of the right side oval o-ring. I'm cautiously optimistic.
                          Last edited by Dogma; 07-18-2009, 08:43 PM.
                          Dogma
                          --

--
                          '80 GS850 GLT
                          '80 GS1000 GT
                          '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

What's a galley bolt? That little cover where the oil pressure sensor is?

Gouge the clutch cover? I've never had to scrape it. The gasket always stays on the case whenever I have the cover off, and never sticks even slightly to the cover. It still has the gasket from the PO, which means it's at least 18 yeas old.

Anyhow, de-oiled, de-greased, and mostly de-road-grimed the bottom side of the engine today. Some of tat stuff is really on there. thankfully, it doesn't need to come off for this test. I also got the rust cleaned out of the airbox. There wasn't much crankcase breathing going on through there. I should look for a spray can of that rust converting/sealing paint to shoot through there.

Tomorrow I'll reassemble it and see if de-rusting the airbox relieved enough crankcase pressure to stop the leak. My guess is that whatever gasket let go is permanently compromised though. Even if I can't get it to leak, I'll change the clutch cover and oil pan gaskets just to make sure they're fresh and undamaged.

In my cleaning today, I only saw oil on the bottom of the engine, and some oil on top of the case. The stuff on top is possibly left over from the stuff that didn't make it through the airbox. Or maybe my tensioner gasket didn't hold. At any rate, I saw nothing around the head gasket area, and nothing on the front. Nothing new on the left side of the engine, and it wasn't very wet (maybe misted) in the area of the right side oval o-ring. I'm cautiously optimistic.
                            Dude...for god sakes, change your clutch cover gasket They're not made to last forever...

Comment

Worst possible news... Yes Brian, I was warned. It is the oval o-ring on the right side. I didn't think they looked all that bad, but it makes a steady stream within seconds of starting the engine. Ah, euphemism!

I need a source to get new gaskets here by Wednesday. Any Suggestions?
                              Dogma
                              --

--
                              '80 GS850 GLT
                              '80 GS1000 GT
                              '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

Worst possible news... Yes Brian, I was warned. It is the oval o-ring on the right side. I didn't think they looked all that bad, but it makes a steady stream within seconds of starting the engine. Ah, euphemism!

I need a source to get new gaskets here by Wednesday. Any Suggestions?
                                uhhhmmm... PM Terry (Blowerbike) He MIGHT have a gasket set or bits of laying around..I dont know. The other possibility is maybe asking Brian or one of the other guys about a temporary fix that will get you thru till you get back? High temp silicone or something of the like? I know its a no-no but you're REALLY in a pinch now... Brian MIGHT have something laying around as well...

If I had another running bike, or the G was good enough I trusted it, I would simply let you take that. But I dont think its a good idea at this point...

Comment

Working...
                                X