Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need my head examined (beware monster pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for almost offering me the G. Seriously, I know you mean it.

I don't know about trying a temp fix. The stuff was pumping out of there pretty quickly, and I think it would find a way around whatever I used. Unless I can lift the cylinders and put it all the way around the o-ring. Since I was doing the gasket sealing experiment, I probably can't separate the cylinders from the case without destroying the gasket. Not that I shouldn't try that as soon as the cams are back off...
    Last edited by Dogma; 07-19-2009, 07:49 PM.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Considering that the base gasket isnt made of anything special, you MIGHT could try to replicate one out of gasket material, then put those orings back in with a good coating of some sort of high temp something or other...I know thats prolly not a great idea, but im just spitballing here, hoping to stumble on something....

Comment

That thought crossed my mind as well. But I have to get the head off to remove the cylinders, and the head gasket is going to have the same problem. Unless I take the engine out of the bike, and that's just not going to happen. Even if I could manage it myself, there just isn't time.

Hmmm... Nah, I wouldn't trust that '83 engine for this trip. I've never turned it over, dunno how long it's been or what shape the valve clearances are in.

Brian's inbox is full.
        Dogma
        --

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
        '80 GS850 GLT
        '80 GS1000 GT
        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

If you just put this together the base gasket can be reused. Even the head gasket.
          I've had to lift the cylinder quite soon after a full rebuild and was able to reuse gaskets but the head gasket will be sketchy.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Bwringer to the rescue with overnighted parts. Hopefully, I can get it back together to leave for WV on Thursday with the rest of the gang.
            Dogma
            --

--
            '80 GS850 GLT
            '80 GS1000 GT
            '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
              Bwringer to the rescue with overnighted parts. Hopefully, I can get it back together to leave for WV on Thursday with the rest of the gang.
              All right Brian!!
              Good luck and have fun.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

OK, I didn't actually get to work on it last night, due to family-type obligations, but I knew it wouldn't take long to get it stripped down again. Less than two hours from complete bike to jugs off. I'll need daylight tomorrow for gasket removal.

I looked at that o-ring, and I don't see an obvious failure yet. It looks as though it may have fallen down out of the seat for some reason. I'll get a better look when I have better light.

On schedule.

I hope Brian thought to throw a cam chain tunnel o-ring into the package. Otherwise I'll have to attempt to repair it with high-temp silicone. It's torn. It's too late now to be calling people (I think), so I'll leave messages where I can.
                Dogma
                --

--
                '80 GS850 GLT
                '80 GS1000 GT
                '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

12:45 AM and I just got out of base gasket hell. It looks like the oil was going right past the o-ring and blew a hole through the gasket. Reassembly should go quickly tomorrow, stating about 3:30. Rule #1: Removing the base gasket will take much longer than the amount of time you scheduled.

Except for a couple little hiccups. For example: the dowel I improvised is just plain gone. I didn't take it out of the head, but it's not in the head or cylinder block. It's not in the pile of oil absorbent stuff on the floor. It's not in the bin of parts I took off the bike. The other issue is really an attack of the stupids. I took off the old oval o-rings before I stuffed rags down alongside the pistons. Sure enough, I fumbled one right past a piston, and it's not on top of the crank. Pretty sure that gasket kit came with an oil pan gasket... Hopefully both surfaces are accessible to the Ruloc wheel.

It's gonna be mighty close.
                  Last edited by Dogma; 07-22-2009, 12:58 AM.
                  Dogma
                  --

--
                  '80 GS850 GLT
                  '80 GS1000 GT
                  '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

So, you have it rough...

We pulled Coles starter clutch tonight on the GK...totally destroyed. Also found out that the GK used a different set up than ALLLLLL of the other bikes...we have a fix however. Small end 1100E Rotor, starter clutch and flywheel. ID and OD of the bearings, and all essential contact points on the crank snout are exactly the same, as is the diameter of everything else. This SHOULD work just fine. We hope.....

Comment

ARGH! I guess the GK had a little more generating capacity or something, huh? I hope that fix works out.
                      Dogma
                      --

--
                      '80 GS850 GLT
                      '80 GS1000 GT
                      '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

the dowel I improvised is just plain gone. I didn't take it out of the head, but it's not in the head or cylinder block. It's not in the pile of oil absorbent stuff on the floor. It's not in the bin of parts I took off the bike. ... I took off the old oval o-rings before I stuffed rags down alongside the pistons. Sure enough, I fumbled one right past a piston, and it's not on top of the crank. Pretty sure that gasket kit came with an oil pan gasket... Hopefully both surfaces are accessible to the Ruloc wheel.

It's gonna be mighty close.
                        Loose o-ring, not good but not the end of the world, missing metal part will need you to be absolutely sure it's not hiding on the inside when you button it up. Remember, everything inside shares the oil bath, so consider the damage if it is hiding in there somewhere.

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                        We pulled Coles starter clutch tonight on the GK...totally destroyed. Also found out that the GK used a different set up than ... Small end 1100E Rotor, starter clutch and flywheel. ID and OD of the bearings, and all essential contact points on the crank snout are exactly the same, as is the diameter of everything else. This SHOULD work just fine. We hope.....
                        Best case is a bump start if it should just fail to work on the trip, worse case... I don't wantto think about that...

It's supposed to rain all damn day so I don't know if you'll get much ride test time in before tomorrow. If things go wrong on your guys trip down to the meeting place remember to call me as I'll have my cell linked. We'll leave you a message if something goes bad for us too.

Speaking of rain... looks like we will be chasing this front across the state into WV tomorrow. I expect wet roads if not some leftover showers possibly. The weather liar says it's going to be mostly cloudy with the temps on the cooler side. Packing rain gear for me might mean less tools packed.
                        "Just Ducky, Thanks!"

Where I've ridden.

Comment

Jim, I don't think I'd let even the o-ring stay in there. The dowel... I don't see how it could have not been in either the head or the block.

Expect a call later this evening. I'm still sketchy on the morning's plans, including just exactly when and where we plan to meet to launch out of the Cincinnati area.
                          Dogma
                          --

--
                          '80 GS850 GLT
                          '80 GS1000 GT
                          '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

Jim, I don't think I'd let even the o-ring stay in there. The dowel... I don't see how it could have not been in either the head or the block.

Expect a call later this evening. I'm still sketchy on the morning's plans, including just exactly when and where we plan to meet to launch out of the Cincinnati area.

have you searched the garage floor
                            it may have stuck in the head and then dropped out when you pulled it off
                            maybe while carrying the head to abench......

Comment

Originally posted by Calvin Blackmore View Post
                              have you searched the garage floor
                              it may have stuck in the head and then dropped out when you pulled it off
                              maybe while carrying the head to abench......
                              Yep. It's shouldn't have been loose, though. It's a strip of aluminum I wrapped around a screwdriver. It's bigger than the hole, so it had a spring/press fit. It should have stayed in one side or the other. I haven't looked into the numbers, but maybe the head gets hot enough to stress-relieve that thin scrap of aluminum so it's not tight anymore. I'm pretty sure I put it in there... I'll have another look in the empty spaces in the block this afternoon, while I have better light.

Anyhow, I know that o-ring is in the engine somewhere. So, while I'm finding that, I'll also make real sure that dowel isn't in there too.
                              Dogma
                              --

--
                              '80 GS850 GLT
                              '80 GS1000 GT
                              '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

Originally posted by RageZro View Post
                                Loose o-ring, not good but not the end of the world, missing metal part will need you to be absolutely sure it's not hiding on the inside when you button it up. Remember, everything inside shares the oil bath, so consider the damage if it is hiding in there somewhere.

Best case is a bump start if it should just fail to work on the trip, worse case... I don't wantto think about that...

It's supposed to rain all damn day so I don't know if you'll get much ride test time in before tomorrow. If things go wrong on your guys trip down to the meeting place remember to call me as I'll have my cell linked. We'll leave you a message if something goes bad for us too.

Speaking of rain... looks like we will be chasing this front across the state into WV tomorrow. I expect wet roads if not some leftover showers possibly. The weather liar says it's going to be mostly cloudy with the temps on the cooler side. Packing rain gear for me might mean less tools packed.
                                Trust me, between Cole and I, both having learned our lessons at RRR, neither of us comes without every single possible tool you could need to work on a bike short of breaking down the top end. (I dont foresee us pulling any wristpins on the side of the road.) So we got you covered Jimmy, even with that new fangled bike of yours. I Dunno how that big GK's been starting. I dunno how long this clutch had been like this, but it looked like it was a start or two away from literally exploding. I will try to post up some pics for everyones enjoyment later. I feel good about this fix working just fine, and provided it goes as planned, it will take me longer to scrape gasket off the stator cover than get the parts in and bolted up. So no worries there. I have a list of stuff to do today that if wadded up could choke a blue whale, so wish me luck. Dale, i hope you manage to get your bike going! Call me if you have any questions, but since you've done it once, im sure you're probably grasping it well now.

Comment

Working...
                                X