Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shaft or Chain... that's the question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
    What is going on here? I thought this was settled back in 2009
    Well, not really. The "debate" was raised again 6 times in 2010, and 21 times in 2011 . Were still searching for the correct answer.

Comment

My '97 TL1000S and '78 GS1000 are chains and besides a bit of inconvenience every 500 miles or so, dealing with a chain doesn't bother me. My C90 is a shaftie and it doesn't have any of the shaft bad manners. Now, if you want to ride a terrible shaft drive, take a Honda CB900 Custom out for a spin. Absolutely horrible rear end rise under throttle and combine that with a frame that feels like it's made out of no less than five pieces held together with hinges. The CB900C is by far the worse handling and performing bike I've ever ridden. That being said, I have one for sale, $100 but it doesn't run and you have to come to me to pick it up...

Comment

I have a 1100e and a 850g. I like the chain,my girlfriend likes the shaft! lol
        My Motorcycles:
        22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
        22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
        82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
        81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
        79 1000e (all original)
        82 850g (all original)
        80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Chips, dips, chains and whips...

Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Road_Clam View Post
            Well, not really. The "debate" was raised again 6 times in 2010, and 21 times in 2011 . Were still searching for the correct answer.
            Since our beloved GS Series contains both chain drives and shaft drives, I think the correct answer is "Yes - shafts or chains. No belt drives"

Comment

Originally posted by 850GT_Rider View Post
              Since our beloved GS Series contains both chain drives and shaft drives, I think the correct answer is "Yes - shafts or chains."
              ^^^ This.

Eric

Comment

Shaft is the only way to fly for me. I dont mind wrenching on stuff that breaks,but if I can eliminate a maintenance point,count me in.

Comment

Originally posted by 850GT_Rider View Post
                  Since our beloved GS Series contains both chain drives and shaft drives, I think the correct answer is "Yes - shafts or chains. No belt drives"
                  Bingo.

I like chains on racy bikes like my current VTR1000F, but not more sedate ones like my soon-to-be-mine GS850G.

They both have their ups and downs, and provided you have a good oiler (I particularly like the Tutoro automatic dispenser) there is no reason a chain cannot last for 30,000 miles or more, even on heavy bikes ridden hard.

So, either one is great and comes to personal preference. Me? I like both... but for different things.

CHeers - boingk

Comment

The only bike that let me down while traveling was the G850GZ. De 1982 model. It lost all the splines from the ring inside the rear wheel. I do have a BMW with a shaft and they are also more expensive on maintenance.
                    Chains are easy to maintain and very reliable. And grease stops corrosion.
                    But a good shaft drive is better then a bad chain.
                    But a bad shaft drive can cost you a fortune. Okay I think I go for chain is better.

Comment

Chains last forever anymore. Maintenance isn't even a consideration. Spend a half hour every three or four years replacing it, good to go another 30,000 mles.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                        Chains last forever anymore. Maintenance isn't even a consideration. Spend a half hour every three or four years replacing it, good to go another 30,000 mles.
                        And if you use a chain oiler they last even more forever any anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by GelandeStrasse View Post
                          And if you use a chain oiler they last even more forever any anymore.
                          Yeah, I wonder how long with a top quality chain and a good oiler. Certainly longer than I ever keep a bike. Way longer.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I have to change what I said before. Chains are better for my purpose. But if I was riding everyday and very often in the rain Iwould go for the shaftdrive.

Comment

Chains let me alter the gearing for acceleration and touring purposes. A new set of sprockets and a good (read expensive) O-ring chain of high tensile strength virtually eliminates having to mess with anything much. Geared to suit me, I prefer a shaft. Call me lazy or whatever, but Yamaha, Moto Guzzi and Suzuki have all spoiled me.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                                Yeah, I wonder how long with a top quality chain and a good oiler. Certainly longer than I ever keep a bike. Way longer.
                                I can't live with the mess of a chain oiler. I've owned bikes that had them. On a loaded touring bike with bags, its a pain even to look closely at the chain, especially when you are stewarding multiple motorcycles.

Its not fun to carry a can of chain lube in your motorcycle luggage, either
                                Last edited by 850 Combat; 04-25-2014, 01:15 PM.
                                sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Working...
                                X