Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shaft or Chain... that's the question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by awjonesii View Post
    The suspension on the bike was "ok", if you weigh less than 160lbs. I upgraded the front to racetech 1.0kg and the rear has a bitubo racing shock now. I have the stock SS installed. Changed out the front brake lines to Galfer SS. If you take a look around www.tlzone.net you can form your own opinion. As far as frames cracking - never heard of it nor has anyone mentioned it on the forums.
    Thanks for the answer! I loved the way the bike looks and heard many good things about the engine (which can btw. be built into an SV). Well, the cracking thing I read on a yahoo group, the Suzuki-VTwin-Sport I think.

Originally posted by awjonesii View Post
    As far as overall handling - the bike handles wonderfully
    Did you have any problem with the bike running wide in corners before you upgraded the bike?
    Last edited by Guest; 07-08-2009, 05:37 PM.

Comment

I just don't like the look of V-twins. I'm sure there are great ones out there, but appearance wise just can't stand them.

Comment

I had a real bug to buy a 1000G, then I rode with a guy who had one, tricked out as I would have (Dyna S and coils, Progressive fork springs, IKONs, K&N pods, V&H header), and he was riding in front of me on a spirited group ride. I was riding my 1978 GS 750, and I would constantly catch up to him in the curves, and have to carefully brake to avoid rear-ending him. I'd go into the twisties following at a reasonable distance, and catch up to him every time. He seemed like a good rider, so I'm attributing it to the shaft; I've never experienced this with any other GS 1000s. Now I have a 1979 GS 1000.
        1979 GS 1000

Comment

I will bet you money that 1000G will flat dust your 750. It was all in the rider. I have BOTH, and yes, you can cog the 750 to be quicker out of the corners, but head to head, bone stock gearing, the 1000 will take the 750 every time. Its just got more torque. Really, if the same rider rode the two different bikes at the same time, you'd probably find you'd have to gear the 750 to the point of not being usefull anywhere else in order to completely surpass the 1000G. It has nothing to do with shaft vs chain there. Yes its a bit heavier, but its also putting more HP to the ground. So it evens it out at WORST...

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
            I will bet you money that 1000G will flat dust your 750. It was all in the rider. I have BOTH, and yes, you can cog the 750 to be quicker out of the corners, but head to head, bone stock gearing, the 1000 will take the 750 every time. Its just got more torque. Really, if the same rider rode the two different bikes at the same time, you'd probably find you'd have to gear the 750 to the point of not being usefull anywhere else in order to completely surpass the 1000G. It has nothing to do with shaft vs chain there. Yes its a bit heavier, but its also putting more HP to the ground. So it evens it out at WORST...
            Nah...it's the bike!

Comment

I'm no faster on either of my bikes..... The Skunk can go faster in a straight line (lighter & Gearing) & will corner at more extreme lean angles (no centre stand) but I generally don't end up using it.
              When I'm scraping hard stuff on my 1000G anyone following me on my Skunk has always been pushing to keep up & vice versa.

1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
                Shaft drive bikes... bah! If I wanted a tractor, I'd buy a Farmall!

That's one sweet looking ride. I'd rather ride that thing than a Yamaha.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

gold Wing inferior? You bet! Goodness knows I hated my 1980. certainly the handling was bad. What a pig. so much less comfortable than my 1000G So much slower.

[QUOTE=noobie;1044111]
                  Originally posted by bwringer View Post

Inferior? You're calling the Goldwing INFERIOR!!!???
                  sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

This maintainance is precisely what I don't want to do on a trip. Nor do I want to do the hour of "waiting " (the most crucial step) when I should be putting miles behind me. I don't want to carry the chain rags, cleaners, lubes, etc. on a trip. There is enough to carry, and enough to do. I did have to change a spline this year on my GS1100g. The wheel was off anyway to replace a tire. I could not have described the chain hassle better, even though koolaid considers them advantages.

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                    O.K., counterpoint.
                    Here's they key:
                    Understand it is an item that requires periodic maintenance.
                    Start with quality sprockets and a quality chain.
                    Clean the chain prior to lubing it. Don't use a penetrant such as WD40. They can get under the o-rings and wash away the internal lubricant. Clean the teeth on the sprocket at the same time, since the chain can pick that junk up too.
                    Use a quality lube, not some junk you get at Walmart.
                    Wipe it down afterward. I usually wait an hour or so to make sure it sets. This is the most crucial step, IMHO. Excess lubricant will pick up road dust and dirt, which will work its way into the orings and cause premature failure. Also, it prevents the tell-tale strip of lubricant up the back of your riding pants, a sure sign of a chain lube rookie.

sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

[QUOTE=850 Combat;1044907]gold Wing inferior? You bet! Goodness knows I hated my 1980. certainly the handling was bad. What a pig. so much less comfortable than my 1000G So much slower.

I've always had thoughts of taking a goldwing and stripping it to the bone just to see how that big engine would perform if it wasn't carrying around 800 pounds of luggage racks, running lights, and cup holders.

Comment

Oddly enough, early on in its life, the Goldwing was Honda's idea of a "sporting" motorcycle...Talk about a 180 in design. Search Naked Goldwing on google or the like, you'll pull up some neat NEAT stuff. There is a guy two houses down from my parents that has a 77 Wing sitting in his garage. He stopped me one day and asked if I knew how to work on bikes, and then showed it to me. Wont sell it, but its MINT aside from sitting. Full Vetter package and all. The old Wings I still think are kinda sexy in that classic kinda way.

Comment

Oh yeah baby, 1976 goldwing cafe racer (you'll love this one kid)

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                            Oddly enough, early on in its life, the Goldwing was Honda's idea of a "sporting" motorcycle...Talk about a 180 in design. Search Naked Goldwing on google or the like, you'll pull up some neat NEAT stuff. There is a guy two houses down from my parents that has a 77 Wing sitting in his garage. He stopped me one day and asked if I knew how to work on bikes, and then showed it to me. Wont sell it, but its MINT aside from sitting. Full Vetter package and all. The old Wings I still think are kinda sexy in that classic kinda way.
                            Something like this?

Original Goldwings were naked bikes, only with the 1200 cc did the fairing become standard.

Comment

Goldwing was supposed to be a muscle bike. It's only what Americans did to them so often Honda decided to make them come that way, with all the extras.

Comment

OK, since the thread has veered a bit into GoldWing territory, let me show you a GoldWing SPORT bike.

sigpic
                                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                                Family Portrait
                                Siblings and Spouses
                                Mom's first ride
                                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                                X