Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shaft or Chain... that's the question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I never clean the chain on a road trip. It simply isn't necessary every time you lube. The process is simple - tilt the bike on it's side stand and have someone rotate the rear tire as you spray the chain - go get breakfast and ride.

I've removed the centerstand on all my bikes, so hence the sidestand trick. With a centerstand you can do it solo. So simple even a caveman can do it.

Comment

Originally posted by reddirtrider View Post
      I never clean the chain on a road trip. It simply isn't necessary every time you lube. The process is simple - tilt the bike on it's side stand and have someone rotate the rear tire as you spray the chain - go get breakfast and ride.

I've removed the centerstand on all my bikes, so hence the sidestand trick. With a centerstand you can do it solo. So simple even a caveman can do it.
      Really torn on pulling mine off, they weigh a ton.

Comment

Originally posted by doctorgonzo View Post
        Really torn on pulling mine off, they weigh a ton.
        Pulling it off for what? Replacement?

Comment

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!

His centre stand.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
            NO!!!!!!!!!!!!

His centre stand.
            Hahahaha....
            I tend to agree with you, it's SO nice to have, but when I picked it up (along with the frame from powder coater) I thought to myself, god this thing must weigh 10 or 12 pounds!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              OK, since the thread has veered a bit into GoldWing territory, let me show you a GoldWing SPORT bike.

Wow, this is some bad-ass conversion. Am I seeing this correct and the engine is a 6-cylinder? Or 4? I'm thinking 6, namely the 1500 cc.

That your bike Steve? How much did it cost to actually make this bike?

Comment

Originally posted by noobie View Post
                Wow, this is some bad-ass conversion. Am I seeing this correct and the engine is a 6-cylinder? Or 4? I'm thinking 6, namely the 1500 cc.

That your bike Steve? How much did it cost to actually make this bike?
                Thats a 1500 wing motor I do believe. Turbo charged. No, thats not Steves....but that IS my helmet...

Comment

Originally posted by doctorgonzo View Post
                  Hahahaha....
                  I tend to agree with you, it's SO nice to have, but when I picked it up (along with the frame from powder coater) I thought to myself, god this thing must weigh 10 or 12 pounds!
                  Man, was I off base. Somehow I was thinking you were taking the chain off to clean it. I don't do that either, just do it on the bike and then clean the entire bike after.

Anyway, centerstands don't work with the exhausts I like, so off they come. There are obviously some who swear by, and will never remove their center stands, but I get by just fine without one. When the bike needs work it's in the shop (garage) and I could care less if it has a stand, and if it's just oiling the chain I use the sidestand. Give it a try - tilt the bike on it and the rear wheel will leave the pavement - that's all you need other than another set of hands to rotate the tire and apply the lube of your choice.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                    Thats a 1500 wing motor I do believe. Turbo charged. No, thats not Steves....but that IS my helmet...
                    Why would anyone need a TURBO on top of that engine!? It's already powerful enough. Saw a Goldwing beat a CBR in a race from green light to red light even though it's twice as heavy. Imagine what it must be capable off with only half it's weight, turned into a sports bike.... No need for a turbo there.

Comment

Originally posted by noobie View Post
                      Why would anyone need a TURBO on top of that engine!? It's already powerful enough. Saw a Goldwing beat a CBR in a race from green light to red light even though it's twice as heavy. Imagine what it must be capable off with only half it's weight, turned into a sports bike.... No need for a turbo there.
                      Why a turbo? Why NOT a turbo?
                      Actually the 1500 engine in the picture only puts out about 100 hp in stock form. Couple that with a bike that is just over 800 pounds (the one in the picture might be down to 600 or so), and you have a very low power-to-weight ratio. Imagine if your GS1000 only made about 60 hp. That would be about the same power-to-weight ratio. Not much fun in that for sporting use.

The Goldwing you saw in the race with the CBR must have been one of the latest series, the GL1800. They have about 120 hp and weigh a little less than the GL1500, so they are considerably quicker. Not sport-bike quick, though, so a lot of that is up to the rider.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by reddirtrider View Post
                        Man, was I off base. Somehow I was thinking you were taking the chain off to clean it. I don't do that either, just do it on the bike and then clean the entire bike after.

Anyway, centerstands don't work with the exhausts I like, so off they come. There are obviously some who swear by, and will never remove their center stands, but I get by just fine without one. When the bike needs work it's in the shop (garage) and I could care less if it has a stand, and if it's just oiling the chain I use the sidestand. Give it a try - tilt the bike on it and the rear wheel will leave the pavement - that's all you need other than another set of hands to rotate the tire and apply the lube of your choice.

Sometimes they will. Not all exhaust brands. I have the V&H street megaphone, and no need to remove centerstand.

What makes me think about it is the CRAZY handling improvement from losing the stock exhaust (made of lead) for the much lighter 4 to1. My thinking being wow losing that 20 lbs made an awfully big difference, wonder what losing 10 more would do. If I did it I'd buy a garage stand.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                          Why a turbo? Why NOT a turbo?
                          Actually the 1500 engine in the picture only puts out about 100 hp in stock form. Couple that with a bike that is just over 800 pounds (the one in the picture might be down to 600 or so), and you have a very low power-to-weight ratio. Imagine if your GS1000 only made about 60 hp. That would be about the same power-to-weight ratio. Not much fun in that for sporting use.

The Goldwing you saw in the race with the CBR must have been one of the latest series, the GL1800. They have about 120 hp and weigh a little less than the GL1500, so they are considerably quicker. Not sport-bike quick, though, so a lot of that is up to the rider.

It's not about the horse power man, it's about the torque. Horse power isn't the deciding factor in acceleration, Nm are. And a 1500 cc machine has got to have lots of it. And 1500's are sparky as they are which means the engines have a lot of torque, to shed 200 kilos of weight would make them into rockets.

Comment

It doesnt matter to me chain or shaft, but evidently this lady preferred Chris Farley's Shaft.

Al Jones
                            82 Suzuki GS850GL
                            97 Suzuki TL1000S
                            "Godspeed and may your rubber not fail".
                            Bill Cosby - "A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice."
                            sigpic

___ -\
                            (O)--(O)

Comment

Originally posted by awjonesii View Post
                              It doesnt matter to me chain or shaft, but evidently this lady preferred Chris Farley's Shaft.

hahahahahaha, the kid looks just like him hahahaha

Comment

Originally posted by cyclefvr2 View Post
                                hahahahahaha, the kid looks just like him hahahaha
                                One day, she'll grow up and be living in a van....DOWN BY THE RIVER!

Fat guy in a little cooooaaat....

Comment

Working...
                                X