No announcement yet.

How fast is is your old GS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Every little bit helps, and a large bag of bean burritos may be just the ticket for increased velocity. Be the first to become a real Rocket Man. No burnouts though, there could be a fire hazard.

Earl :-)

Originally posted by jtcrespo

Depending on mods, right?

I have a good set of air paddles and I can kick my feet pretty well.
    Does an aero-helmet and a hump on my jacket count as mods too?
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

I'm sorry, I wasnt thinking. Perhaps for the ladies that may be considering a ride, I should mention that my 750E is in terrible tune and tops out at about 12 mph.

[quote="argonsagas"]

Earl, that was mean of you. Think of the effect of those words. Don't you know there will be wives/girlfriends seeing this?

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Mine's out of tune too, so it vibrates a lot, been wondering whether I should get that fixed.

[quote="earlfor"]I'm sorry, I wasnt thinking. Perhaps for the ladies that may be considering a ride, I should mention that my 750E is in terrible tune and tops out at about 12 mph.

Originally posted by argonsagas

Earl, that was mean of you. Think of the effect of those words. Don't you know there will be wives/girlfriends seeing this?

Comment

Mine's out of tune too, so it vibrates a lot, been wondering whether I should get that fixed.

Originally posted by earlfor
          I'm sorry, I wasnt thinking. Perhaps for the ladies that may be considering a ride, I should mention that my 750E is in terrible tune and tops out at about 12 mph.

Originally posted by argonsagas

Comment

Some of these rpm readings in top gear (level ground) are interesting too.
            I know all bikes are different. My '79 GS1000E which runs well, will pull about 7,400 rpm's in top gear. This is with stock gearing and pipe/pod/ 1085 pistons. I'm about 195 for what it's worth and I'm in a crouch. Not trying to lay as flat as possible, but crouching some. I could possibly get a little more but why push it. My red line is 8,500 rpm's.
            So I would say 7,400 rpm's is it. I can only assume the tach is working well enough. It's almost new too.
            I've heard many other models won't come close to their red line in top gear. What are your TRUE top rpm's in top gear, under the same conditions? Be honest.
            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

When I was young and thought I was bullet proof I did reach 135 mph. I would never try that now on my 750 ex.

Comment

Its difficult to say exactly. On the 1150, I turn 4200 rpm @ 70 mph in 5th.
                I've replaced the factory electric tach with an aftermarket electronic racing tach thats made to couple directly to the electric tach drive lead on my Dyna 2000 module. I know my rpm readout is accurate. The speedometer is likely a liar. :-) Anyway, I have the Dyna set to cut out the ignition at 9000 rpm. The bike will reach 9K and cut out in 5th gear. I think the speedo is pegged at that rpm, but its difficult to read precisely. My ignition timing is altered from stock, my carbs are jetted a size larger and my air intake is increased slightly. Also, I have Accel high output coils and graphite plug wires on the bike. I suspect that if I turned off the rev limit, I could probably pull close to 10K rpm and maybe 155 mph actual. I weigh 160 and am not THAT big. :-) :-) I've never felt the
                bike was lacking in the power and speed department, so I usually dont think about it. :-)

Had a little fun today. Was cruising one of my favorite twisty roads at about 70 mph, (which is a relaxed, sit back and enjoy pace for me) when I caught up to a pick up truck moving along at about 55 mph. Well, I waited for a switchback "S" I knew was coming and could look through the next curve to see if it was clear for a pass. It was, and I did. :-) Seems it piqued the cager off being passed, so he stepped on it and thought he was going to ride my tail. :-) He followed me into the next curve at 75 and as
                I was coming up on the power for the 2nd half of it, I could see his truck's front suspension compressing as he found he needed brakes in the middle of the sweeper. LOL I left him behind as I exited with the needle passing 90. :-) Never saw him again after that. I think he gave up. I think he would have felt really bad if he knew I wasnt up to a range where I was pushing it hard, just funnin with him. heh heh

Earl

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE
                Some of these rpm readings in top gear (level ground) are interesting too.
                I know all bikes are different. My '79 GS1000E which runs well, will pull about 7,400 rpm's in top gear. This is with stock gearing and pipe/pod/ 1085 pistons. I'm about 195 for what it's worth and I'm in a crouch. Not trying to lay as flat as possible, but crouching some. I could possibly get a little more but why push it. My red line is 8,500 rpm's.
                So I would say 7,400 rpm's is it. I can only assume the tach is working well enough. It's almost new too.
                I've heard many other models won't come close to their red line in top gear. What are your TRUE top rpm's in top gear, under the same conditions? Be honest.

Comment

Ok, now I checked my speedo this morning on one of those radar speedo checking things, and at 120 Kmh/75 Mph (on my speedo) I was actually doing 114 Kph/71.25.

My gearing is standard for a 1981 "S" and at 100 Kph/62.5 Mph the engine is revving to 4000 RPM, so at 9000 RPM the bike should be doing approx 225 Kph or 140.625.

Of course that's the theory anyway. Now I'm a big fat bastaard, 6'4 and 240 pounds, and I was sitting upright at the time of my latest pass (looking for cops) but the conditions were ideal, as it was a nice sunny day, around 20 deg C and I was travelling down a slope over a distance of about 5 miles.

Even though I was crapping myself at the time, I reckon my eyes were working ok, and the bike absolutely raced to the reported 220KPH/137.5 MPH. Cheers, Terry. :twisted:

Comment

Been up to 108mph (170kph) on my bike once. That was pushing a slight quartering wind, and I didn't feel like twisting it anymore.

oh yeah, fully stock '83 GS650GLD

Comment

Anyone else? How many rpm's will your bike pull in top gear on level ground? What is your rpm red line? Top speed not important.
                      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

With standard gearing mine pulls the same revs per kph as Terry. With cams and h/d valve springs I have a 9000 redline, but have not really tried for top speed runs. I have sat on 200kph (corrected) for a while some years ago not trying for top speed. I was 2 up with all the camping gear on the bike coming back from a rally, just sitting up no crouching. So I think the redline is my limiting factor (along with licence preservation!)

Comment

I have had the Tractor out to 10 500 rpm in top gear 8O luckily this is only 1000 rpm past redline Fortunately this was done on a closed freeway at 2 am , so the only risk was from Australian Native Bunnies
                          Dink

Comment

7000 RPM in 5th Gear, I think it would have gone faster though. It was a relatively flat road on a nice day. I am about 190lbs.

Edit: Its an 83 GS750 T

Comment

ummm, big bunnies? Otherwise sometimes referred to a roo's?

Earl

Originally posted by Dink
                              so the only risk was from Australian Native Bunnies
                              Dink

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
                                ummm, big bunnies? Otherwise sometimes referred to a roo's?

Earl

Originally posted by Dink
                                so the only risk was from Australian Native Bunnies
                                Dink
                                Got it in one

Comment

Working...
                                X