How fast is is your old GS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 Gs650gl

I've been up to 125 but it took a mile and a half. I had a few thousand more RPM but my suspension is 24 years old and bottoms out if a passenger is on it so I got smart when I saw the potholes coming... :shock: I am adding some rear suspension and replacing the fork seals next week then I'll get back to you with a new test. The power of the 650 in 5th gear to pull is sickening..I thought it would be a dog once you got there but 5th will pull your brains out...anyone got recommendations for some good aftermarket suspension?

Comment

81 Gs1100e

A few mods and 150 mph at about a mile or so. Clocked by a buddies Honda crotch rocket. Scary ride, but had to see what she would do. I love this bike and myself for that matter and will never do something that stupid again.
      Sure was a rush though, just happy to still be around to talk about it.

Comment

Even with the odd quirks of the 1100ed, I've cracked 130, then stood still as my buddy on his Hayabusa went past. :shock: My 750tz (sold for the 1100) got up to around 110 mark but that's going by the Hayabusa's speedo.

Personnaly I prefer to use the power to get away from the cages (why is it that Pontiac drivers challenge the most???) and then enjoy the scenery.:-D

Comment

I've noticed Mustangs.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I did 170kmh on my '83 400e when I was 16, that was in 6th at red line (9500rpm) It get's windy with no faring.
            Not bad for a little bike.

Comment

I am going to run both my bikes this weekend at Street Vibrations on the dyno drag machine. It won't show top speed, but will give me 1/4 mile time and speed, and horsepower at the rear wheel. Cool! I'm curious to see how the bikes do at this altitude (5000 ft.).
              85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
              79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

I have pushed 150mpyh on mine then my buddy flew by me on his 02 yamaha r1.

Adam

Comment

126 in the 1/4 \\/

Comment

How QUICK is your GS?

Top speed is cool and all, but anyone have any timeslips from the track they want to share? 1/4 mile - 1/8 mile - it's all good.

I ran 13.2 @ 99mph @ Atco Raceway, Atco NJ.
                    The clutch on my bike slips at high RPMs, so I can't launch hard and I can't shift fast. Once I get it fixed, I'm headed back to grab some better slips.

1979 GS1000 - stock except for, possibly, a 42-tooth rear sprocket
                    Last edited by Guest; 09-22-2006, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Hey baelzbub let me know when you head down to Atco, I am only an hour away. I've never taken my bike to the track to see how fast I can get the bike down the 1/4.

Adam

Comment

Got the GS650GL to 90 mph for brief periods, but my mind kept micro-imagining stress points on fasteners, rubber failure, metal fatigue and small animals appearing from nowhere. At that point my testicular will, would not allow me to peruse any higher excursions of the speedo needle. 90 MPH is plenty fast for this guy (my speedo indicates up to 140). The bike really grooves at around 65 to 75 MPH and I’m in this speed-range, periodically when I’ve got a clear stretch of open highway.

Comment

my 1980 gs 1000L will do every bit of 120,and is still accelerating,so i dont actually know how fast it will go.I do know until i let off the throttle, the kid with the loud honda civic could not get past me.
                          future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Comment

The speedo says 85 no matter what

Fast enough. But never more than 85 on the clock.

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
                              I am going to run both my bikes this weekend at Street Vibrations on the dyno drag machine. It won't show top speed, but will give me 1/4 mile time and speed, and horsepower at the rear wheel. Cool! I'm curious to see how the bikes do at this altitude (5000 ft.).
                              Originally posted by baelzbub View Post
                              Top speed is cool and all, but anyone have any timeslips from the track they want to share? 1/4 mile - 1/8 mile - it's all good.

I ran 13.2 @ 99mph @ Atco Raceway, Atco NJ.
                              The clutch on my bike slips at high RPMs, so I can't launch hard and I can't shift fast. Once I get it fixed, I'm headed back to grab some better slips.

1979 GS1000 - stock except for, possibly, a 42-tooth rear sprocket
                              I did the Dyno Drags during the Street Vibrations event in Reno, Nevada. The '78 GS1000 did a 12.472 @ 106.5 mph. The '85 1150 did 11.439 @ 113.5 Not bad for high altitude!
                              85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                              79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
                                I did the Dyno Drags during the Street Vibrations event in Reno, Nevada. The '78 GS1000 did a 12.472 @ 106.5 mph. The '85 1150 did 11.439 @ 113.5 Not bad for high altitude!

sweet at any altitude I reckon... =D>

Comment

Working...
                                X