How fast is is your old GS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How fast?

I had the '82 750e up to 80 mph once,then my arms started to stretch and the helmet started to crunch my big schnozz, I had to let up 'cause some old guy in a porsche cut in front of me and decided to slow down, I took this as an omen and got off the highway quick, I think its more fun goin' up through the gears quickly than just flying at breakneck speed

Comment

120+mph 90S into Chicago.

Comment

My GS1000G will do a genuine 200Km/h, or 125mph in yankee speak.

Comment

Speedo was pinned on my 81 450t so I'm guessing about 95. Front end got a little floaty and she was screaming. I only did that once.

Comment

Originally posted by rlong74 View Post
            Speedo was pinned on my 81 450t so I'm guessing about 95. Front end got a little floaty and she was screaming. I only did that once.
            Same here. Done it a few times myself . Never made it over 100 MPH though. I'm gonna try again real soon at the track.

Comment

dont have a speedometer, so i will report back when i hit the drag strip

Comment

80-85mph on my 82 650.

I did it by accident too.

Bike makes all it's power up past 6k, so the throttle gets touchy.

Comment

115 on the 700 and she wasn't done....

Comment

I hit 80 for a couple of minutes yesterday before I backed off. Don't think I need to go near it really.
                    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Fast enough to break the 140 speedo when it made it back to 0 and hit the pin!.

Daniel

Comment

Gave the 1100G a good long blast down the highway today after passing an idiot who used to think his truck was fast. It sure does wind out the upper gears quickly. Oops, forgot to look at the speedometer. Doh!

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Speedview app on phone clocked it @ 121mph, though I stopped there since the cable to my gauge snapped at that moment. Possibly could have hit ~130mph tucked since I had more throttle. Will never know now.

Comment

I just replaced my stock 85mph speedometer with an aftermarket 140mph unit. I'll never see it's top speed, I don't think, but I'm sure I've probably already hit the ton and will again. I've got a 1982 GS1100G with a 4 - 1 pipe, K&N filter and a stage 1 jet kit.

When I was young and stupid I hit 130ish on my big bore Yamaha FZ600. At that speed I wasn't sure I'd be able to react in time if something came up or if I noticed something in the road. I was in the middle of nowhere and on a long empty straight, but I haven't found a reason to go that fast again.

Comment

I used to own a GSX1400 naked, and ran it up to 155mph just the once, my helmet was all over the place and my knuckles were clenched as tight as a nuns chuff...thrilling , but never again

Comment

around 120. probably a little less. I don't want to bring it up to that speed since I cracked my welded tail section after going up to that speed. Plus, it still has a pretty old Shinko rear tire and I haven't replaced the bearings yet

Comment

Working...
                                X