No announcement yet.

How fast is is your old GS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Earplugs are the way to go. Reduces wind / mechanical noise. Cars / horns / sirens can still be heard, and even conversation to a degree.
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
      I sometimes find myself trying to shift into sixth gear when riding my 1000e. I'm thinking about changing the gear ratio when I order new chain and sprockets this spring.
      Me also, same bike!
      sigpic
      Steve
      "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Earbuds and rockabilly/punk rock for me lol my gringo helmet with the clip on bubble lets a decent amount of noise in
        I build Pipers

Comment

On long highway rides, I'm there with you, Brandon: iPod, ear buds, Arctic Monkeys and go.
          "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
          1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
            Earplugs are the way to go. Reduces wind / mechanical noise. Cars / horns / sirens can still be heard, and even conversation to a degree.
            I bought a $60 pair of ear plugs that were form-fitted--worked great and I will wear them again!

Ed
            GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
            GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
            Originally posted by GSXR7ED
            Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

The wind noise.... Jimi Hendrix heard that noise while parachute jumping in the army. His famous guitar wails came from translating that noise to his guitar.

Comment

Earplugs are nice.

Officially speaking, around 85MPH today. But 55MPH does seems to show as 70MPH or so using a GPS IIRC...

Comment

I had the first year Ninja 900 ( the Top Gun bike )... mild mods... took it to 120 and climbing, front wheel lifting... before I remembered my son was on back.
                  Sold it 12 hours later.
                  I have no intention of find Max MPH of the Beast.
                  1980 GS1000G - The Beast - GOING... GOING... yup, it's gone. I'm bikeless !!! GAaaahh !!!
                  1978 KZ1000C1 Police - GONE !
                  1983 GPZ750, aka ZX750A1 - restored, fresh paint... Gave it back, it was a loaner !!!
                  Check My Albums for some of the 30+ headaches I've dealt with

I know -JUST- enough to make me REALLY dangerous !

Comment

I know guys who have hit warp on their Hayabusas and ZX14s, but the fastest I went was just over 150 on my old FZ1. I've had several bikes up toward that speed before (probably 140ish on the VF1000R and thereabouts on the Turbo). The 1150 has seen 120 or so with me on it.
                    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                    1982 CB900f

Comment

Not really a "how fast" thing... but I went for an 80 mile ride this weekend and tried wearing earplugs. Wow! I should've started wearing them along time ago. It makes running down the highway at 85mph so much quieter and relaxing.
                      1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Originally posted by TxGSrider View Post
                        Not really a "how fast" thing... but I went for an 80 mile ride this weekend and tried wearing earplugs. Wow! I should've started wearing them along time ago. It makes running down the highway at 85mph so much quieter and relaxing.
                        Indeed!

I downloaded a decibel app and want to mount my phone in the fairing to see what it will read on the freeway.

Thanks DB for the idea. Didnt know such an app existed.
                        Roger

Current rides
                        1983 GS 850G
                        2003 FJR 1300A
                        Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

We had to take an OSHA compliance class a few years ago. The instructor mentioned it. Probably not the most accurate, but good for ballpark readings anyway.
                          sigpic
                          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                          -Rusty old scooter.
                          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

I won't go to the corner store on my bike without earplugs. I want to be able to hear stuff in my old age. Lol..
                            Fastest I have ever rode a bike is my k1300r...several times to 150mph...but last May going through Death Valley fully loaded, saddle bags, tank bag, tail bag and my fart azz...158mph! And with a quick shifter it don't take long to get there. Oh and there was still more left in the bike..just not me.
                            No signature

Comment

Originally posted by TxGSrider View Post
                              FWIW, it may also be worth mentioning that it's technically illegal some places (I think it is here, IIRC).

Comment

Got 117MPH on the GPS today (...on a closed track, of course). The lying bastards said it would do 119MPH!

Comment

Working...
                                X