No announcement yet.

How fast is is your old GS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

145 ish on the 1100E and it still had more. GS550E topped out around 120-125, 750E don't know yet, it's not finished.

Comment

Originally posted by koto View Post
      I picked up a street race with a 2005 gsxr 750, we just rolled full throttle after a stop light on a long straight away with no side streets,we were a equal distance apart till my bike started to sway at about 160ish, my bike was a 82 gs1100e with a 86 gsxr1100 motor and 88 gsxr front end
      Nice bike ; did you do any bracing? Is the 1052cc stock?

Also sounds like an interesting race. The 1052 must have more torque than the GSXR 750, but with the GSXR full fairing once you hit 100 mph the advantage would be gone.
      Last edited by posplayr; 12-07-2010, 12:28 AM.

Comment

I got busted in 1983 on my first '82 GS1100EZ for doing 149 in a 40 while on one wheel flying down NAVY rd in Millington Tennessee I had the rest of fourth and all of fifth to go.
        I don't have a clue as to the top speed of the bike but in 82 I pulled it up at 120mph and sped off from a friend who was in a car, finally backed off the throttle when the helmet I was wearing began choking me due to the pressure from the speed, don't know how fast I was going because the speedo stops at 85.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

Originally posted by wacky941 View Post
          I got busted in 1983 on my first '82 GS1100EZ for doing 149 in a 40 while on one wheel flying down NAVY rd in Millington Tennessee I had the rest of fourth and all of fifth to go.
          I don't have a clue as to the top speed of the bike but in 82 I pulled it up at 120mph and sped off from a friend who was in a car, finally backed off the throttle when the helmet I was wearing began choking me due to the pressure from the speed, don't know how fast I was going because the speedo stops at 85.
          are you crazy or just wacky ????

Comment

Top speed of an '82 1100 was 141 mph. That's with a 150 lb Japanese test rider on it, at sea level. Top speed in 4th at redline is 120 mph
            85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
            79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
              are you crazy or just wacky ????

At that point in my life I would say both

I was young, dumb and thought I was bullet proof now, I'm older, wiser and amazed I survived.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
                Top speed of an '82 1100 was 141 mph. That's with a 150 lb Japanese test rider on it, at sea level. Top speed in 4th at redline is 120 mph

All I know is the cop told me that his radar showed that I was doing 149, in fact the only reason he let me go was because I stopped when I saw him, I actually pulled over and waited for him to come and get me.

And just for the record, when this ocurred I weighed 131 lbs. now I look like a balloon and weigh in at 210 lbs.

Comment

you silly kids and your motersicles

Comment

Must be a turbo
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I know my '82 GS1100E does 85 at least, because that's what the highest reading of the speedometer is, probably good because it keeps me from trying to top it out, a kind of "why bother." I had a '78 Skunk that I got a 140 reading on when I topped it out, but that speedometer had so much
                      error in it, I was lucky if I was doing 130. That was when I was so much
                      younger, 70 seems pretty fast to me now, at least at a sustained speed.
                      sigpic
                      Steve
                      "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Old GSs Go Not Bad

Had some GS 1000 s back when they came out. One with a wiseco kit ,andrews cams 29 smoothbores, ported head. I think it was the super ?? street kit? Put in Valve springs the oil pump gear mod (the 750 s) also crank welded. On our Highway one day coming from Toronto to Guelph Line saw 12,600 rpm on tachometer. It probably wasnt accurate BUT they never really are. I did give a quick glance downwards and saw the speedo needle at the m in the MPH logo on the dial. I had the 240 kph speedo and I think I was going faster than that that day due to being in a bit of a run with one of those wooden bumpered OPP cruisers which i left behind a ways. Back then we all drove funny. Now just track stuff no street riding. Im too dumb for street driving.

Comment

All I know is the cop told me that his radar showed that I was doing 149, in fact the only reason he let me go was because I stopped when I saw him, I actually pulled over and waited for him to come and get me.

And just for the record, when this ocurred I weighed 131 lbs. now I look like a balloon and weigh in at 210 lbs.

obviously the cop was using a KPH setting !!!!!

;

Comment

Mine'll do 0-70 sometime this week.

Buddy
                            09 Yamaha Venture Royal (my first Yamaha)
                            83 Honda VT500FT Ascot (three of them)
                            81 GS650G for the wife.
                            82 Suzuki GS850GL Bought it 3 times, sold it twice, then traded for a nice 82 GS1100G AND a 93 Honda 750 Nighthawk, even WOW!
                            I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those words that should have remained unsaid.
                            If ya can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with B. S.
                            Motorcycles are like children....They should be seen and not heard.

Comment

fast enough to get a $330 fine after getting the valves adjusted and having flash backs to the 70's

Comment

zoooooooommmmmmm
                                Last edited by Guest; 03-18-2011, 12:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X