Regulator/Rectifier replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

I worked on it a bit last night, fabricating a new mount for the new R/R since the old one won't come out without a saw. I have the airbox in place still (strapped in) so I drilled through the backside of it and using a small plate of aluminum attached that to the R/R and then to the airbox. It sticks up a little bit, so I'm hoping it gets enough cool air blowing in from the side covers when riding.

In the winter it could be a butt warmer.

I cut the bullet connector off the new R/R wire harness and found a new ring terminal to fit. I need a butt-splice to connect a small piece of wire to the red R/R wire and run that over to the battery. Going to get a solder iron from a friend today. Should be finished up soon...

This better be worth another Volt Earl!!! :P :P

~Adam

Comment

If the voltage is there to start with, it probably will be. :-) :-) :-)
        Why do I have the feeling you STILL have not checked your stator output?
        :-) :-) :-) That is the FIRST thing I do when I have a charging problem.
        heh heh

Earl

Originally posted by AOD
        This better be worth another Volt Earl!!! :P :P

~Adam
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

earl that's part of adams magic, since adam was a former chicago guy i have seen adam work first hand.... He does a good job just ask joe nardy.

Adam, when you coming back this way?

-ryan
          78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
          82 Kat 1000 Project
          05 CRF450x
          10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Magic, eh Ryan.

I'll be back in Illinois in the summer:
            June 23-26 - Brother's Wedding (some free time)
            July 8-10 - Nascar race
            August 12-14 - Friend's Wedding (some free time)
            September 9-11 - IRL race

Not going to make it back before June. Wish I could ride with you guys again. Come down for the June rally!

~Adam

Comment

and no Earl, I haven't checked the stator output...I told you...it's probably bad!!

Comment

Hmmm, something akin to being lost in the desert without any water, but figuring everything will be ok because you have a package of instant lemonade huh. LMAO.

Earl :-)

Originally posted by AOD
                and no Earl, I haven't checked the stator output...I told you...it's probably bad!!

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

I just finished the wiring mod to the R/R...no solder needed I guess. I don't much like these crimp on connectors, but they're Panduit quality at least.

Gas tank is off...hmmmn....I could make it remote for a few minutes to check the NEW battery level when running. I've got 25 minutes before I have to go to my hockey game!

~Adam

Comment

Well Earl...you're good for a Volt. :P

Earl-mod wiring gives me 14.1 volts at 5000 RPM with the battery voltage of 12.75 after fully charged. I'm going to take that battery back, since it's only a month or two old and has been used a whole 15 minutes of it's life besides sitting on the charger.

Thanks for all the help...looks like this will make it fine through the riding season as long as it maintains.

~Adam

Comment

14.1 is about lower limit. At least you're in the usable, probably without starting or charging problems range now. :-) Still needs further checking and problem solving, but I doubt you will be taking any surprise walks because of it. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by AOD
                      Well Earl...you're good for a Volt. :P

Earl-mod wiring gives me 14.1 volts at 5000 RPM with the battery voltage of 12.75 after fully charged. I'm going to take that battery back, since it's only a month or two old and has been used a whole 15 minutes of it's life besides sitting on the charger.

Thanks for all the help...looks like this will make it fine through the riding season as long as it maintains.

~Adam

Comment

and I won't have to carry the battery charger in my backpack or use the kick starter anymore.

No need to check my stator output for now! :P :P he he

Only thing I'm thinking about now is how to put a small fan on the new R/R...I was thinking a PC fan but they're 5 volt...not 12.

Earl, is that existing red wire from the wire-harness (that runs to San Fransicso) a switched 12V wire or live all the time 12V? I didn't check before I taped it back.

~Adam

Comment

I must say this thread has been providing me great entertainment, thanks Earl, thanks Adam. If you look at the sticker on almost all PC fans it says they are 12V. The left over red wire is always hot and should be taped well out of the way. While a PC fan will help get rid of some of the heat. The components in the R/R are still getting hotter than they should and will fail prematurely, it's just a matter of time that you willing buying another R/R and having to bump start your bike. Hope I'm wrong. Good luck.
                          '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

It's not getting to a scorching level...but it's a component that uses heat transfer to remove energy so any helping of that heat transfer is only going to help.

Now that I think about it, you're right, PC fans ARE 12 Volt.

Glad this proved humorous to you Sandy...I hope others find it useful in the future...it's the best R/R replacement thread I've ever read.

~Adam

Comment

I would assume it would be hot all the time since it provided a path to battery.

Earl

Originally posted by AOD

Earl, is that existing red wire from the wire-harness (that runs to San Fransicso) a switched 12V wire or live all the time 12V? I didn't check before I taped it back.

~Adam

Comment

If your R/R is still getting too hot to comfortably hold your hand on indefinitely, the R/R life will be shortened. It will be shortened in direct proportion to how hot the R/R becomes. Dont run the bike without the headlight on and preferably on high beam.

Earl

Originally posted by AOD
                                It's not getting to a scorching level...but it's a component that uses heat transfer to remove energy so any helping of that heat transfer is only going to help.

Now that I think about it, you're right, PC fans ARE 12 Volt.

Glad this proved humorous to you Sandy...I hope others find it useful in the future...it's the best R/R replacement thread I've ever read.

~Adam

Comment

Working...
                                X