The rebuild has started

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The winner is, Castrol GTX 15w40.

Will probably end up keeping rear brake I just have to get it working, I have all the parts for it and the correct pedal too. Bracket and mount on frame on the left side will be taken out though more than likely.

I figured for higher speeds aerodynamics does take a big role just because the amount of drag it creates, I figured with the middle part of the cluster it helps direct that flow alot better, so I figured I'd ask.
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XS650

Comment

well, havent updated for a while as not too much has happened.

it took me about 2 weeks to find a place that can properly bore my cylinders believe it or not, i didnt expect that to be a challenge but i do have reasonably small cylinders.

and all my parts that i sent off are getting powdercoated, that being the frame, swingarm, wheels, forks, and triple trees. it might be a while before i see those again as i didnt pay a powder coating shop to do it but instead i did an annual service for my friends dad in exchange for the powdercoating, long story short its a favour thing but im saving alot of money and he is aswell so its a win win for both of us.

meanwhile ive been looking for a bike to keep me busy as it has really started to hit hard having no bike, i believe i have been told this by somebody here and its definitely true but you should have two bikes at all time, one to work on and one to ride while the other is being worked on.

theres an 81gs750e project for sale but the price is a bit high for what it is, things been sitting close to 10 years, it does have only 14k miles though, i know that might not mean anything depending on how it was treated but thats why i want to get it for such a low price so i can assure i dont take a financial loss on the bike. there was a pretty nice 1977 gs750 i was going to pick up for a good price that wouldve been a sweet daily but the guy was not the best seller and i didnt get the bike, oh well plenty of fish in the sea.
      Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
      1982 XS650

Comment

wiring harness 95% complete, all re-wrapped, anything not being used was removed, and i repaired my terrible previous repairs on the harness....where the hell was heatshrink, butt connectors, and electrical tape during this...oh yeah, i got really caught up on this stuff called marine tape...

gonna be taking a wire wheel to certain things that are rusted and need a repaint, nothing serious and wont be seen unless the seat is off but i want my bike clean all over.

for the motor, i still havent got a call from the place who took my cylinders to get bored but thats okay as i have a decent bit of other things to do, mainly cleaning if im honest, and making a parts order but i feel like it might be better to do that whilst im rebuilding as it will come alot easier as to what i need. i relapped the valves and ill be checking all the valve spring specs, not sure if im going to use a second intake cam for the exhaust side but i have time so no worries. im not sure if ill be painting the engine black either as 1) the bike is aircooled and even with the right paint im guessing it will run hotter, and 2) i feel like alot of cafe racers end up having alot of parts painted black and i dont want it to be like the majority. the good thing is i still have plenty of time to decide.

i also learned that the fairings on my bike are rare, possibly even super rare. they have a red suzuki emblem on both and i didnt realise until now that i cant find any other ones with them for sale on ebay or facebook or even looking up my bike on google! sweet!
        Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
        1982 XS650

Comment

got my cylinders back today, looks great and will be doing the ring clearances soon.

i also shown the guy my crankshaft and he said i wont need to get it polished but i should replace my crank bearings, i was originally just gonna use plastigauge but he said its not accurate enough and i should use a micrometer and bore gauge and i completely understand why now after watching some videos.

my question is, my clearances for my connecting rod bearings change colour every .0001" to .0002" and im wondering if this dial gauge will be accurate for this, it says it has .0005" graduations and im not sure if this will do or not as this stuff is a bit new to me.

Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
          1982 XS650

Comment

Wait-there are fairings somewhere?
            "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
            1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
              Wait-there are fairings somewhere?
              I believe he's talking about side covers.
              1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post

I believe he's talking about side covers.
                Oh ... uh, gotcha. Zoiks.
                "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                1982 CB900f

Comment

havent done too much since last time but i got back my frame, swingarm, wheels, and triple trees back they are now powdercoated gloss black and the triple trees matte black, i ended up leaving the forks alone but i may paint later on, i got new crank bearings after measuring rods and journals and also learned about how the journals, crankcase, and bearings have a code to tell you what they are beforehand which was real cool.

i also had to take a bolt and cut off the threads and head to make a new axle for the part of my cam chain guide that is fitted in the crankcase as the guide would wobble on the axle from wear and the original axle was too small.

the crankcase has been recently sealed and i just have to get the piston ring end gap right before i put the cylinders back on, and my exhaust valves could be relapped as they leaked a tiny bit when pouring oil into the spring side of the valves and letting it sit for 24 hours but the intake were completely dry, but other than timing the motor thats all i have to do for the motor to be rebuilt other than a bit of assembly, i made sure everything internally was very clean and working well, spins very nice and trans shifts solid and spins very nice aswell. i think if i keep the pattern of doing it right and ensuring everything is operating well the bike will come out very nice, and it should be pretty clean aswell, no wiring messes and stuff.
                  Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                  1982 XS650

Comment

Working...
                  X