Another one… ‘83 GS1100E Restomod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another one… ‘83 GS1100E Restomod

So I already have another project going on, a 1977 GS750, which is quite close to completion. You can see some progress on that one here.
    https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-gs750-project

But I happened to pick up not one but two GS1100E’s.

The blue 1983 is the nice one. And that’s the one I’m building. The red is also a 1983 and while the red does run and ride, it seems to have some electrical and transmission issues so I’m pretty much using that as a parts bike for now. One crazy thing is that I used to own the red one years ago, I may still have the build thread on here…

Heres more of the blue.

Together.

Been riding the blue for a lot of summer 2021.

This is a Canadian model, as you can tell by the speedometer. 64,000 km. Runs and rides great.
    Last edited by Zerospirit; 03-27-2022, 02:53 AM.
    1977 Suzuki GS750
    1983 Suzuki GS1100E

And then I started to take it all apart for paint. Here’s some pics as it was.

The right side tank sticker is mostly gone.

Left side better but not great.

Both side covers and front fender has been repainted at some point.

You can kind of see the top of the tank. Clear coat is cracked. Also you can see the new color for the bike! I’m painting it the same color as the Z, midnight blue metallic.

All the body work off.

Its current state.

I’ve already started the whole sanding process but no progress pics of that just yet. Hopefully soon!

1977 Suzuki GS750
    1983 Suzuki GS1100E

Comment

Setting the paint stuff aside real quick, I took a look at all the maintenance stuff. First thing I noticed was the valve cover gasket leaked. I checked and adjusted the valves before putting a new gasket on.

I looked over at my tires next. They weren’t terrible. Still soft and sticky but they are from 2013. And then I looked at the brake lines. They looked and felt fine but those are original 1983 brake lines. The chain and sprockets looked fine but while I’m in there… Hmm… Keep it stock and just replace with new? Or upgrade?

I chose to upgrade. First round of parts.

Second round of parts.

All of these parts were removed from a 1997 Suzuki Bandit GSF1200. The Bandit had 17,000 miles. Nothing wrong with it, they just let it sit.

I did get a Suzuki RF900 lower triple tree as that is the correct length for this old GS1100E and fits onto Bandit forks.

I have new tires coming, new front and rear wheel bearings, steering head bearings, 4 pot Nissin front brake calipers, bandit swingarm conversion kit.

I’ve done a lot of research on this topic but I’ll likely still have questions.

1977 Suzuki GS750
      1983 Suzuki GS1100E

Comment

Just for info. sake, I had my "83"1100E side covers painted with a Chrysler paint, sorry I don't have the name nor code, but is the exact color of the blue. In bright sunlight you can see the metallic is a slightly different shade. If complete bike was painted, not just a part, I guarantee nobody could ever know...Great find, Congrats.
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Very nice. I was looking for a "240" or whatever, to go in front of that Z, but it says..."Fairlady", correct? Please tell me it's a 240Z, and please, please tell me it has a clutch pedal.
          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Awesome find!
            Tell me, the blue one...did you happen to buy it from Bob? I had a blue one that ended up with him in Washington some years ago. It was a Canadian model too. Cheers
            No signature

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
              Awesome find!
              Tell me, the blue one...did you happen to buy it from Bob? I had a blue one that ended up with him in Washington some years ago. It was a Canadian model too. Cheers
              Yes sir! I got both bikes from Bob.

1977 Suzuki GS750
              1983 Suzuki GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by Zerospirit View Post
                Yes sir! I got both bikes from Bob.
                Nice! I’ll have to find some pics I have of it. Believe it or not I got it for free.
                No signature

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post

Nice! I’ll have to find some pics I have of it. Believe it or not I got it for free.
                  Wow free? That’s awesome! If you can find pics, please send them my way.

Got some work done. I’ve been working on sanding but I don’t have any progress pictures of that.

But here it is in 3 coats of primer.

Notice that there’s no front fender here. That’s because I’ll be using a Bandit 1200 front fender which is on the way.

Mocked it up on the bike.

Looking good so far.

I’m going to let the primer cure for a few days then I’ll sand it smooth. I plan to lay down base coat and clear coat next weekend!

1977 Suzuki GS750
                  1983 Suzuki GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                    Very nice. I was looking for a "240" or whatever, to go in front of that Z, but it says..."Fairlady", correct? Please tell me it's a 240Z, and please, please tell me it has a clutch pedal.
                    It’s a 1977 Datsun 280z. In Japan, it’s called a Nissan Fairlady Z. We just put the Japanese badges on. Yes, they are both 5 speed manual 😁

The blue one is my brothers. The white one is mine. We painted the blue one by ourselves in the garage!

1977 Suzuki GS750
                    1983 Suzuki GS1100E

Comment

It’s a 1977 Datsun 280z. In Japan, it’s called a Nissan Fairlady Z. We just put the Japanese badges on. Yes, they are both 5 speed manual 😁

The blue one is my brothers. The white one is mine. We painted the blue one by ourselves in the garage!

NICE! You've got a nice pair.
                      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Todays project is replacing all the bearings!

Let’s start with this. This a lower triple tree from a 1995 Suzuki RF900. The bearings pretty much exploded as soon as I looked at them.

A vice, hammer, and chisel makes quick work of removing the rest of the bottom triple tree bearing.

New steering bearings on. On the left is a 1997 Suzuki Bandit 1200 triple tree. And the one that’s installed on the forks is 1995 Suzuki RF900. The RF900 is the correct length to fit into the GS1100E steering head. They will be greased before install along with new races pressed in.

Next up is the rear sprocket carrier? I don’t know the name for it. Left is original, right is All Balls.

Sprocket carrier and rear wheel bearings done with new seals.

Working on pressing the front wheel bearings in. A flat tire makes a nice cushion.

All of the old bearings and seals. Two of them are missing a ball bearing???

All done. Yes, I know the tires are old. New ones will be here Saturday. Front calipers also arrived so I wanted to mock it all up. Looks good!

I thought about doing the Tokico 6 pot from the 2000+ Bandit 1200 but after researching, found lots of bad reviews. People seem to like the Nissin 4 pots better so that’s what I got.

1977 Suzuki GS750
                        1983 Suzuki GS1100E

Comment

I thought about doing the Tokico 6 pot from the 2000+ Bandit 1200 but after researching, found lots of bad reviews. People seem to like the Nissin 4 pots better so that’s what I got.
                          The 6-pot Tokico is notorious for seizing up after one winter (or sooner), but the 6-pot Nissin isn't. The 4-pot Nissins are pretty good.
                          ---- Dave
                          79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                          80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                          79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                          92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                            The 6-pot Tokico is notorious for seizing up after one winter (or sooner), but the 6-pot Nissin isn't. The 4-pot Nissins are pretty good.
                            What are the Nissin 6 pots from and would it bolt up to Bandit 1200 forks? I think I’ll be plenty happy with the Nissin 4 pots but never hurts to know more.

Tires are here! I went with the original Michelin Pilot Power. Good reviews and it was on sale. I do know it is an older model but the tires are recently made in 2021.

Next to the factory installed Metzeler made in 1997

I went with stock Bandit 1200 sizes. 120/70/17 front and 180/55/17 rear.

Or so I thought… The rear tire is actually 190/55/17. It was mis labeled 😭

Think there would be any problems running one size up for the rear tire? I will be using the Bandit 1200 swingarm. Dealing with returns is kind of a pain. And I just found out that this seller has very bad customer service haha.
                            1977 Suzuki GS750
                            1983 Suzuki GS1100E

Comment

What are the Nissin 6 pots from and would it bolt up to Bandit 1200 forks? I think I’ll be plenty happy with the Nissin 4 pots but never hurts to know more.
                              Iirc, they were an option on ZX7Rs, but also fitted to other things. You'll probably be pretty happy with the 4-pots, though.

Depends how much you want to spend - they are available new...
                              http://www.hardracing.com/Brakes/Ferodo.htm near the bottom of the page.
                              ---- Dave
                              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                              X