1978 GS550 Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1978 GS550 Project

I made utterances in my recent GSX1150 Rebuilds that I would post something about my GS550 that I restored in 2019-2019 so here we are.
    I bought it for about $450 and spent a similar amount getting it transported the 500km from where I bought it to home.
    These are the previous owners pictures of the bike lounging around in a paddock.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    80 GSX1100 ET
    82 GSX750 EZ
    84 GSX1150 ES
    86 GSX750 ES
    10 GSXR1000

I am just trying to workout how to post image from ImgBB.com in the new format so i have found a thread and am trying a few options

80 GSX1100 ET
    82 GSX750 EZ
    84 GSX1150 ES
    86 GSX750 ES
    10 GSXR1000

Comment

I have had to upload these whereas previously I just inserted link to photo sharing site. And there is a limit of 1 attachment per post.

Anyway as you can see it is a bit tired looking. It is missing side covers and chainguard but otherwise everything is there

793771840.jpg
      80 GSX1100 ET
      82 GSX750 EZ
      84 GSX1150 ES
      86 GSX750 ES
      10 GSXR1000

Comment

So is it OK to upload photos like this. Surely it will fill the Server up with Gigabytes pretty quick

In the meantime I got the bike home and give it the once over. A few years of oil leaks

Some interesting Electrics

Some shoddy Paint

80 GSX1100 ET
        82 GSX750 EZ
        84 GSX1150 ES
        86 GSX750 ES
        10 GSXR1000

Comment

I had been looking for 1 of these bikes to restore because it was the first Road Bike i owned back in 1981.

Here is the original bought new from Wellington Motorcycle centre in May 1980 ($2400 if I recall correctly)
          81-motorbike2-suzuki-gsx550es.jpg

On scratching off the paintwork on the tank I found that my bike was originally Blue so that pleased me.
          Last edited by ensure; 04-15-2022, 06:34 PM.
          80 GSX1100 ET
          82 GSX750 EZ
          84 GSX1150 ES
          86 GSX750 ES
          10 GSXR1000

Comment

Using Imgbb:
            If you want your pics to show up in the forum and post multiple images, on the IBB page, you have to go to the Embed codes (bottom Left) and copy the BBCode-full image, and paste it into your post. It doesn’t fill up the forum because the images are still hosted off-site. Doing it this way makes them show up nice and big and viewers don’t have to click on a link or thumbnail to see the full image.

limit for this used to be 10 images per post. Not sure what it is now with the updated bulletin board. 11 of your images below. 12 if you count the thumbnail of the sprocket that now I can’t seem to edit out

Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 04-13-2022, 11:08 PM.
            Rich
            1982 GS 750TZ
            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
            Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Thanks Rich82GS750TZ

Copying in the BBCode for full image the text just disappears and there is no picture (until much later)

And if I copy it in to the photo attachment box it just tells me its not a valid image file.

Last edited by ensure; 04-17-2022, 05:02 PM.
              80 GSX1100 ET
              82 GSX750 EZ
              84 GSX1150 ES
              86 GSX750 ES
              10 GSXR1000

Comment

Now that I seem to have grasped the procedure I shall get on with the project story

So having got the tank stripped back to bare metal I could see there were a few dents that a PO had filled in. The main task was to ensure I got all the rust removed from around these fills.

I even toyed with the idea of going bare metal but decided against it as the tank wasn't quite up to standard

Next job was to clean the carbs. This bike came with VM carbs & a kickstarter whereas my original bike had CV carbs and No kickstarter. I only know this from studying my original photo. At the time I couldnt tell the difference between a CV carb and a spark plug. I just put petrol in it and it went. The innocence (& naievity) of youth

3 of the carbs were in reasonable condition and just needed a thorough cleaning

The 4th was a different storey and was severely corroded inside on the stem that the main jet goes into. I know this is an awful photo but gives some idea of the situation

Once I cleaned all the crud off I could still insert the main jet but there was a gap where the o-ring should seal against the body.
                What to do? I tried ordering some second hand carbs (Nos 2 & 3) from the UK but came up against Export restrictions so I bade my time checking the local TradeMe listings. Eventually something came up but I had to buy a whole engine to get the carbs. Oh well, spare parts that I dont know I need yet.

80 GSX1100 ET
                82 GSX750 EZ
                84 GSX1150 ES
                86 GSX750 ES
                10 GSXR1000

Comment

Next job was getting the seat recovered. The seat on the bike was in ordinary condition once you looked past the torn cover

The usual rust base

I am quite good at fixing seat bases now so after de-rusting it was out with the fibreglass and resin

Then a bit of rubber strip around the edges

and a spray of black paint

and a cover it was good as new

80 GSX1100 ET
                  82 GSX750 EZ
                  84 GSX1150 ES
                  86 GSX750 ES
                  10 GSXR1000

Comment

Except I didnt like it. So it was out with the spare seat. It had a bit more substance to it. There was a tiny tear in the cover so I ordered a new one from UK and waited.

The seatbase in this one was the usual standard but easily repairable

The new cover turned up eventually and it was the classic look that i wanted

Once I get the strap across the middle to pull it tight it will be just right
                    80 GSX1100 ET
                    82 GSX750 EZ
                    84 GSX1150 ES
                    86 GSX750 ES
                    10 GSXR1000

Comment

I found another seller on TradeMe who was fairly local advertising spare parts for a GS550 so I went to have a look. I was after a Grab Rail for the seat and he had some parts that I already had but I could see his were in better condition so I bought the lot to save a bit of effort sanding / polishing my pieces.
                      Just as I was leaving he says Oh I've got an old exhaust too . Do you want it ? He will throw it in for the price we had agreed. Sure I thought. So he dragged it out of the corner of the barn. It was pretty rust / dirty but I was sure I could do something with it

Once I got it home and gave it a clean I could see it had some promise. A fair bit of surface rust on the chrome but no holes

80 GSX1100 ET
                      82 GSX750 EZ
                      84 GSX1150 ES
                      86 GSX750 ES
                      10 GSXR1000

Comment

I had been doing the easy chores as the bike was still outside and so I could not start the dismantling process until this point. I was just taking off the easy bits.

The frame was a nice shade of rusty brown

A bit of sanding and rust treatment + a coat of undercoat got it to this stage

I did an alternate colour so that when I paint the top coat in 2K gloss black I can see if I have missed anywhere

The engine came up quite well with a good clean and polish. The only real issue I came across was the Return spring on the kickstarter was not hooked around the correct spot adjacent to the clutch

The next pieces to get some loving were the rear shocks. Here is a before / after shot to show the difference. I used a dishwah type scrubbing pad and then some metal polish

80 GSX1100 ET
                        82 GSX750 EZ
                        84 GSX1150 ES
                        86 GSX750 ES
                        10 GSXR1000

Comment

The tank got a nice white undercoat and then some matching blue. I took the tank to my local automotive paint store and they matched it.

Then a couple of coats of blue

and on with the decals. I do all my best work at the dining table

and the side panels

and the rear tail light surround

80 GSX1100 ET
                          82 GSX750 EZ
                          84 GSX1150 ES
                          86 GSX750 ES
                          10 GSXR1000

Comment

Nicely done. The parts look awesome.
                            1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

I eventually got the carbs back together with my replacement carb in there. I even got them to a reasonable consistency across the 4

This is the kickstart spring that I had issues getting inserted correctly. I could get in in and it would work 5 or 6 times and then come unclipped again. In the end I settled on using the Electric start.

So then it became a matter of assembling it again. I think I have all the pieces

Grease up the Bearings and new oil / seals in the forks

80 GSX1100 ET
                              82 GSX750 EZ
                              84 GSX1150 ES
                              86 GSX750 ES
                              10 GSXR1000

Comment

Working...
                              X