No announcement yet.

'83 850GL Maintenance and other repairs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd lift the needle a smig. To do so, please check the carb rebuild tutorial in my signature (hint, it involves using a smaller spacer above the needle clip.)
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
      I'd lift the needle a smig. To do so, please check the carb rebuild tutorial in my signature (hint, it involves using a smaller spacer above the needle clip.)
      According to this CV tuning procedure linked to in the carb section http://www.factorypro.com/tech_tunin...m_engines.html based off my symptom only when cruising with ~1/4 throttle, it sounds to me like it adjusting the mixture screw setting may resolve this instead of main jet needle height. Do you disagree?

Also, I checked the air box for leaks. The inlet snorkel was falling off, the filter lid seals are gone, and the filter element has a huge hole in it and is very dirty. I thought I replaced the air filter a few years ago, but apparently I didn't. I put the snorkel back on the box and put new filter lid seals on. I also ordered a new filter element, should arrive early next week. I don't know if these air leaks in the box are enough to cause my cruising speed hesitation, but they definitely needed to be addressed regardless. So after getting the new filter on I'll go for a ride and see what happens.
      Last edited by 93Bandit; 09-15-2022, 08:47 AM.
      - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
      - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Comment

Went for a short ride this evening with the airbox sealed up and the old air filter installed, and I think the hesitation while cruising is gone. Soon as I get the new air filter I'll go for a proper trip to confirm.

On a different topic, I finally got around to seeing what the fuel Guage reads when I get to reserve. I usually fill up around 100 miles on the tank because I'm paranoid, but decided to "risk it" today for no particular reason. Looks like I can go about 135 miles before I hit reserve, but the tank only took 3gals. I thought reserve was supposed to be a gallon, and I thought the Ls had 4.5gal tanks, so I think it should have burned another half gal or so before needing reserve. Maybe what I recall for tank capacity is wrong?
        - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!

Comment

Tank capacity is one of those things that isn't a definitive, partly because of the U shape of the tank can leave excess fuel in the tank, away from the petcock.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
            Tank capacity is one of those things that isn't a definitive, partly because of the U shape of the tank can leave excess fuel in the tank, away from the petcock.
            That makes sense. It's possible I switched too early as well. I'll run it low again and see what mileage I get.

Comment

Well, gentlemen. Put a new air filter in and went for a ride. I think that did it, along with sealing up the airbox. She seems to be dialed right in.

Time to put some miles down before the end of the season!

Here's the old air filter. She's toast!
              Last edited by 93Bandit; 09-25-2022, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Had a chance to work on the 850 today. A coworker gave me a worn out Vetter windjammer fairing and trunk a few years ago, and they've been sitting in the shed ever since. I'm not going to use the fairing since I already have a windshield, but I wanted to see if I could put the trunk on my bike. The bracket that came with the trunk is for a G model frame, so it won't fit my L without some modifications. I already have a luggage rack on my bike, so I took the trunk off the G bracket and bolted it to my luggage rack. It's not perfect and I had to get creative with the mounting, but I think it'll work. The key for the trunk lock was lost so I drilled the lock out and installed a new lock from the local hardware store. I've needed a trunk or saddle bags for a while because I commute to work on my bike, and it's usually substantially cooler in the morning than in the afternoon so I need a place to put all my warm gear when riding home. I used to have a plastic egg crate strapped to my luggage rack. It worked, but is obviously not weather proof. Hopefully this trunk will better suite my needs.

I also put a crash bar on the bike, then put my highway pegs on the crash bar. They're in a much more comfortable location now and are more firmly mounted which will be nice. I'm sure Mr. Rob S. will appreciate the crash bar! Some may recognize it as the crash bar Mr. Rob S. kindly suggested I remove from the 750 I revived. I warned him it may find its way on my 850! I think at some point I'm going to install some aux fog lamps to the crash bar as well, but I'm in no hurry.

Here's a picture of the accessories installed.

Comment

As I'm getting seat time, I've been pushing my rides longer and longer to prep for a road trip. My right hand is constantly falling asleep and cramping, so I'm exploring throttle locks. There's so many choices online, I don't know where to being. So I tried my own DIY version using a metal coat hanger and zip tie. So far it seems to work OK, but it slips if I hit any bumps in the road. However, if I just rest my hand on the grip, that's enough to keep the throttle steady. It can't remove my hand from the grip for extended periods of time with this throttle lock, but it does allow me to relax my grip which I think will help. I only got to for a short test around the block, so I need to get a few good rides in using it to see if it will actually help or not. Here are a few pictures.

Comment

Back in the day, 2 things helped "MY" hands falling asleep. Foam grips, felt odd first ride then then all good, your fingers aren't wrapped in as tight of circle + foam eats the vibration... Vista Cruise throttle lock really helped back when smoking while riding, or any time you wanted to turn loose of the throttle.
                    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                      Back in the day, 2 things helped "MY" hands falling asleep. Foam grips, felt odd first ride then then all good, your fingers aren't wrapped in as tight of circle + foam eats the vibration... Vista Cruise throttle lock really helped back when smoking while riding, or any time you wanted to turn loose of the throttle.
                      I have heated grips on my bike, so unfortunately foam grips aren't an option unless I give up the heat. The heated grips are a life saver in the cooler months when I ride, so I'm keeping them.

As for the Vista Cruise, I actually have one. Unfortunately, due to the wide harness end of the heated grip, the ring that goes on the grip has to be too far outboard which pushes my hand so far my hand hangs off the grip. I tried to get used to it but it made the cramping worse since when holding the grip, I was only using 3 fingers instead of all 5. If the ring wasn't so wide, I could use it and would love it. Thus my DIY job.

Comment

Originally posted by 93Bandit View Post

I have heated grips on my bike, so unfortunately foam grips aren't an option unless I give up the heat. The heated grips are a life saver in the cooler months when I ride, so I'm keeping them.
                        I was of the same opinion years ago, but I discovered internal bar heaters, which allow the use of foam grips.
                        Last time I looked for another set, the maker had disappeared, but similar sets are available for snowmobiles.

---- Dave
                        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

That's an interesting concept...I can see how that would work on the left grip, but how well does the heat conduct from the handle bar to the throttle then to.the grip? Might have to look into that

Comment

Originally posted by 93Bandit View Post
                            That's an interesting concept...I can see how that would work on the left grip, but how well does the heat conduct from the handle bar to the throttle then to.the grip? Might have to look into that
                            It works fine. There's a slight difference in how quickly you feel the heat, but after five minutes they're both toasty anyway.
                            Here's a sample set for something to look for...
                            https://www.remotemoto.com/articles/...otorcycle-kit/

The bar heater market seems to be flooded with rectangular heat pads, but I wonder if they can be curled up and inserted internally.
                            Last edited by Grimly; 10-04-2022, 09:15 PM.
                            ---- Dave
                            79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                            79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                            92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Interesting. Thanks for the info Grimly. I just bought my heated grips in December of last year so I'll be keeping them. But I'll keep these in mind for other bikes.

Comment

I scored a lightly used set of Cortech Super 2.0 saddle bags a few months ago for $40. They're $200 new so I'd say I got a good deal! They're clean and not weathered, and they included the rain covers. Even though they're not an exact match to my hard shell trunk, they definitely help "balance" the look of the bike. It was goofy looking with just the trunk. Now that I've got some good storage space, I'm hoping to take a few day trip next year. Not sure where I'll go but I would like to put some miles under my belt.

Now that winter has set in, I'm going to get started on the bike after the holidays. Brake lines, front brake switch, cam chain tensioner, valve adjustment, and probably a few other odds and ends. Thanks to my heated and insulated garage, bike work in the winter is cozy and fun.

Comment

Working...
                                X