Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS1000G Rebuild

Guys,
    Continuing on with my 1980 GS1000G rebuild. Thanks to this forum I found out that I had oil seepage into my secondary gearbox coming from the overflow into my mystery hole!

Original Thread:
    https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...question/page2

My Answer:
    https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ar-compartment

There is little information discussing this issue of the seals failing and I wanted to post some progress pics as some others may attempt this.
    First, with the help of forum members, I found the parts needed in my original thread (link above)

Now on to the fun, after you follow the thread by trexbob above, you will come to the dog cam stopper tool problem. This part has been discontinued and you will need to come up with a solution to compress the spring and remove the two smaller retaining clips part 27. My solution was using a drilled-out deep well 32MM socket with a window, followed by a 5000-pound press. I don't think it requires that much pressure LOL, but maybe a large vise might do the trick. To get the spring to release you need to apply pressure to the top end and push down enough so that you can pull those clips.

Once the spring has been released from the countershaft, slide all components off and replace the main seal. Now you will then need to replace the seal in the dog input cam, parts 24,23,22. This seal was a beast and melted/shredded off in pieces. Please note, that you have to remove everything inside the dog input cam part #24, the old "metal seal ring" may be present once you pull the old out. Pull everything out, otherwise, your new seal part 22 will not seat correctly with the circlip.

Lastly, back to the press where we very gently pressed down and inserted clips "stoppers" back into the top of the spring.

Thanks to the guys on this forum for help, maybe I will help someone else with either dog cam stopper issue.
    Once I am done rebuilding the bottom end, I'm starting on the topend. Stay tuned for more.
    All the best-
    JA
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jasonadams74; 08-26-2022, 08:43 PM.
Working...
X