Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I was looking for a winter project.........I found this!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got a few things on order today. Delkevic stainless 4 into one, new Oury grips, new air filter and the starter button that went AWOL!

Cleaning out the tank today. Do I know how to have fun or what?
    Last edited by 1978GS750E; 11-27-2022, 08:30 PM.
    Ron
    When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
    1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
    1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
    1982 GS1100E - April 2024 BOTM
    1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

That exhaust alone is worth a fortune!

Comment

Originally posted by Suzukian View Post
        That exhaust alone is worth a fortune!
        Not with the rust holes! Hence the Delkevic that was ordered today.
        Last edited by 1978GS750E; 11-27-2022, 08:30 PM.
        Ron
        When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
        1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Well today I got the tank cleaned, as well as I could. Lots of dried up fuel and rust. Attempted to order a Caswell Epoxy kit but they are out of stock until 11/30/22, per their website.

Can't even place an order for it, which seems strange! (Wanted to get the 15% off for their Black Friday sale.) Those kits are getting expensive!

Oh well, guess I'll order it on Wednesday.

Working on cleaning up the fuel level sending unit now. Then will work on the gas cap! Then on to the brakes, tires, forks, electrical ..........
          Ron
          1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Originally posted by 1978GS750E View Post

Not with the rust holes! Hence the Delkevic that was ordered today.
            I'm sorry, I thought you said it had a Delkovic on it. If you are getting a 4 into 1 exhaust, make sure you set the carbs at the same level. The older Suzuki's used to run a pipe between 2 and 3 cylinder which mean they had by a little bit lower on vacuum. The Service Manual shows the weird ball vacuum Suzuki gauge. It used balls, and 2 and 3 cylinder had to have half a ball less vacuum. If it is a 4 into1 Delkovic, you will have to resync the carbs, and make them all the same.

Comment

Well today I got the tank cleaned, as well as I could. Lots of dried up fuel and rust. Attempted to order a Caswell Epoxy kit but they are out of stock until 11/30/22, per their website.

Can't even place an order for it, which seems strange! (Wanted to get the 15% off for their Black Friday sale.) Those kits are getting expensive!

Oh well, guess I'll order it on Wednesday.

Working on cleaning up the fuel level sending unit now. Then will work on the gas cap! Then on to the brakes, tires, forks, electrical ..........

You might want to try to derust before going straight to a liner. Get some phosphoric acid. Kleen Strip Concrete and Metal Prep from Home Depot. Fashion some good plugs first, though. Don't use the sending unit, petcock, and gas cap. And let the tank vent, because it will outgas. Dilute to fill the tank and it will be rust free in an hour or two. You can't derust through varnish, though, so be sure to get all that out first.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post

You might want to try to derust before going straight to a liner. Get some phosphoric acid. Kleen Strip Concrete and Metal Prep from Home Depot. Fashion some good plugs first, though. Don't use the sending unit, petcock, and gas cap. And let the tank vent, because it will outgas. Dilute to fill the tank and it will be rust free in an hour or two. You can't derust through varnish, though, so be sure to get all that out first.
                Sorry, I should have said that I "derusted" the tank! Added a gallon of vinegar and about 100 drywall screws, then shook it off and on for about an hour to loosen the varnish and rust. Rinsed with water and then used the Kleen Strip. Then rinsed with a baking soda solution to neutalize the acid. Then dried it with compressed air.

I've done a few tanks in my time, (being an old fart), so I have fashioned aluminum covers that I fit over the fuel sending unit and petcock openings. I've found that aluminum tape that HVAC guys use does a good job on the filler hole.

Should be ready for the liner now!
                Last edited by 1978GS750E; 11-28-2022, 07:51 AM.
                Ron
                1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

"Shook it for a hour"... Should have rented a cement mixer to do the job. Haha. Who did that? Someone around here I think. Chuck maybe?
                  My Motorcycles:
                  22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                  22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                  82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                  81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                  79 1000e (all original)
                  82 850g (all original)
                  80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Sorry, I should have said that I "derusted" the tank! Added a gallon of vinegar and about 100 drywall screws, then shook it off and on for about an hour to loosen the varnish and rust. Rinsed with water and then used the Kleen Strip. Then rinsed with a baking soda solution to neutalize the acid. Then dried it with compressed air.

I've done a few tanks in my time, (being an old fart), so I have fashioned aluminum covers that I fit over the fuel sending unit and petcock openings. I've found that aluminum tape that HVAC guys use does a good job on the filler hole.

Should be ready for the liner now!
                    Excellent. Sounds like you know your way around a project like this one. Only comment, I'd try to avoid the liner, unless the metal is thinned out from rust. That phosphate sauce WILL eat off all the rust, you just need to give it enough time. Only worry with that stuff is if you leave it in too long, a whitish passive coating starts to build up. Also, Caswell's is killer thick. Works great to reinforce thin metal. Even at that, I'd thin the stuff because it doesn't flow for crap. POR-15 works good too, and is easier to apply. It doesn't reinforce, though.
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

That's a nice 82' GS1100E Ron.

Comment

"Really snazzy windscreen"!

Do dorky sellers realize that only attracts dorky buyers? Besides, the extra aerodynamics are needed to make up for the dragging understand!

Glad to see they're going up in value. In 2013 I saw mine advertised for $1900. When it was lowered to $1500 three weeks later, I pounced. 24k miles in EXCELLENT running order!
                        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                          "Really snazzy windscreen"!

Do dorky sellers realize that only attracts dorky buyers? Besides, the extra aerodynamics are needed to make up for the dragging understand!

Glad to see they're going up in value. In 2013 I saw mine advertised for $1900. When it was lowered to $1500 three weeks later, I pounced. 24k miles in EXCELLENT running order!
                          What are you trying to say there Rob, since I bought it? It took a total of about 5 minutes to remove that really snazzy windscreen!

Do you mean "dragging centerstand"? That was due to a weak spring since it had been sitting on it for 18 years.

Hopefully it will be a keeper, once it is finished. Besides I need something to do in the winter, instead of sitting around reading stuff on internet forums!
                          Ron
                          1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Looking forward to following along.
                            sigpic
                            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                            -Rusty old scooter.
                            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Things like that windscreen and dragging center stand, that do make it look a little worse, are a plus when buying, just makes the price a little cheaper while no problem to quickly, easily, and cheaply get taken care of...
                              1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

What are you trying to say there Rob, since I bought it? It took a total of about 5 minutes to remove that really snazzy windscreen!

Do you mean "dragging centerstand"? That was due to a weak spring since it had been sitting on it for 18 years.

Hopefully it will be a keeper, once it is finished. Besides I need something to do in the winter, instead of sitting around reading stuff on internet forums!
                                ZERO offense intended. And yeah, that darn spellchecker. Centerstand.
                                1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Working...
                                X