GS 850 rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 850 rebuild

Just received the carby o rings from Nessism, the head is at a retired engineer's place getting the valves & seats ground & valves resized. When I first got the bike I bought the bare minimum to get it going & rode it for about 40K klm's & enjoyed it immensely, but knew it needed a freshen up, so now is the time.

When you get your head back, check the valve clearances CAREFULLY. If the seats have been touched up or the valve faces surfaced, the valves might be sitting a bit too deep in the pockets, leaving you with virtually no room at the top end, under the bucket. The problem there is that you might not be able to find shims that are thin enough. You might have to remove up to 0.5mm from the tips of the valves to get back to being able to use the thicker (normal-sized) shims, but be sure to measure EACH valve clearance to be sure.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

Looking at the valves this is the first grind, low mileage bike, lucky me?

Comment

Got the head back, every thing done locally, now to assemble every thing.
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Working...
        X