Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS1100E - My First (Project) Bike

Hey GSR members!

I want to start by saying the GSR forums (and search function) have been hugely instrumental in getting this thing back on the road, so THANK YOU all. I am continually amazed at the dedication the members of this forum have for these bikes. I hope I'm posting this in the right forum, please let me know if there is a better option or if I should separate this out.

I bought the GS1100E August of 2022 after it had sat covered in a barn for over 10 years after the PO ran into charging issues. It has 24k on the odometer. It is my first motorcycle and probably the heftiest mechanical project I've taken on -- I was set on an older bike that would be a garage project so I could learn the ins-and-outs of the bike before I could/would start riding it. I started work on it this last April and it is finally "roadworthy" in August. In all, I have only had to tap two bolt holes and use an angle grinder once, so the repairs/upgrades have gone fairly smoothly. I'm hoping to give you all a status update and pick your brain on a few loose ends I still have. Please note: statements I make below are coming from a novice bike owner with his first project, so I have little idea of what 'good' looks or feels like outside of general mechanical knowledge.

The old champ cold starts right up with minimal choke in 90 deg California sunshine. Choke can be removed after a minute or two. All 4 cylinders are firing and bike pulls hard through all gears and RPMs. It rides straight and brakes are grippy. I feel like I'm close to being able to really just ride this thing, but also feeling a little like I'll never get this completely dialed in. I'm hoping you guys can help me with some concerns below.

Work Performed
    4x Carburetor full rebuild - chemical dipped, all new o-rings/seals/filters, set float heights, repaired sticking float valve needles and seats
    Carbtune Vacuum Sync’d carbs (after valve adjustment)
    New OEM airbox boots
    Resealed airbox lid and replaced drain hose
    New OEM intake boots
    Cleaned fuel tank and removed rust
    New fuel petcock
    New fuel lines
    1983 three spoke wheel upgrade - powder coated black
    New wheel bearings - OEM
    New Shinko tires with tubeless conversion
    Rebuilt front and rear master cylinders, new OEM seals
    Replaced front brake light switch
    Spiegler Stainless Steel Brake Lines
    New rotors - EBC pro-lite all around
    New pads - EBC all around
    Custom fab pad shims (missing from PO, discontinued)
    Motul RBF600 brake fluid
    530 chain conversion - 114 x-ring chain with 17t/48t sprockets
    Countershaft sprocket bearing re-pack and new seal, removed all eroded cover foam
    Electrical (charging issue repair) - installed new stator and rectifier/regulator, relocated r/r ground, new cover gasket
    Retained original ignition coils, replaced ignition wire and OEM caps/seals
    Valves lash adjusted to 0.10mm with new OEM valve cover gasket
    Replace 2x o-ring for (cam chain galley area) front head nuts
    New valve cover relief hose
    Maxum 4 oil with HiFlo filter/gasket
    Delkevic 4-into-1 exhaust, stainless header studs upgrade
    Tachometer gear rebuilt with new seals
    Replaced tachometer and speedometer cables
    New Duracell Ultra AGM battery
    New fuel tank, seat, and fairings bushings
    Stainless steel Allen bolt engine kit

Questions/Concerns
    1) Bike has a slight popping at idle AND heavy popping in deceleration. I know that decel pop can be attributed to an air leak, so I've resealed my exhaust with Permatex muffler seal (nasty stuff, some regret using it/not looking for other options) and no difference noted. Since it's popping during both of these scenarios, would you think it's just an overall rich condition? Pilot jet is stock size (as are all other jets/needles from my observation).

Noteworth carb stuff:

My pilot screw adjustments are as follows (in count of turns away from seated): 2.75, 3.25, 3.00, 2.75 -- I believe I have refinement to do here, but I was excited to get on the road. The mixture screw on number 2 carburetor did not seem to make significant change to idle. I pulled the vacuum hose and didn't see/taste any fuel and the replacement petcock seems to be operating without issue. I adjusted the floats to be a little leaner (23.1 float height, set to the notch listed in the manual) and made sure they maximum drop tabs are set. I revisited the float valve seats and needles and re-re-cleaned and have verified they slide smoothly and none are sticking open. I do have the Delkevic 4-1 exhaust, but I thought this would make the bike run more lean, not richer. Should I look at opening up more air? I've read some exhaust manufacturers used to recommend removing the airbox lid. I have the lid sealed with weather stripping and I have a hose on the drain, as well as reflief/pressure(?) hoses on the carburetor that lead toward the back of the bike.

I'm currently almost through a full tank with Seafoam to clear out cob webs and I haven't noticed any difference.

2) Rolling on throttle, bike is a little jumpy. I’ve taken out slack in chain to spec. If I'm SUPER careful on throttle, I can work it out, but overall it's jumpy -- is this normal?

3) My 82 has a 140mph dash which I believe has to be from the 83 (D) model. How likely is it that the odometer is accurate? Was this part usually retained during these upgrades?

4) Slight climbing idle. Currently showing around 1150 rpm when cold, but climbs to about 1550+ after warm. Proper idle RPM after warm? Believe this could represent an air leak at the intake boots, but I have them cranked down. On this note, the OEM clamps for these boots -- should they normally be 100% clamped (all the way tightened)? Do people grease/seal these boots? It seems I am never 100% confident they are sealed.
    Last edited by rsquire; 08-22-2023, 03:22 PM.
    1982 GS1100E - Stock carbs & airbox, Delkevic 4-1

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Sorry rsq, can't be much help, but popping just about got to be a fuel related. I'm sure somebody will have some ideas. First Welcome. Also pretty nice looking bike. Wondering if you got any history with the bike? I noticed the silver eng., all the "83"'s should have black eng., not that it matters a lot, just a couple of differences inside the eng. for, I think, mid "82" and earlier.
      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Hey, thanks for the welcome! The bike is an 1982 (Z) model, but I did acquire some three spoke wheels from the 1983 version and put them on, so maybe that's what looks different to ya.

Comment

Just me, not paying attention. I remembered the 140 mph, and just had 83 on my mind. Duuuh sure not "83" color. Still good looking bike
          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Sometimes the popping can be a Hydrocarbon back fire caused by an air leak.... This causes unburnt fuel to pop in the exhaust. Check for an air leak with some starting fluid (with the little red straw/tube on it) so you can pinpoint where you spray, look for a rise in rpm's.

Comment

Only God himself knows how many miles are on your bike, and he's not telling. So...completely unknown and virtually unknowable.

Yes, many 4-into-1 manufacturers said, 'no carb mods necessary, just remove the air filter lid.' (Toss it into your garage and never see it again. )

Your friendly 11EZ owner here in the 'Big Apple.'
              1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Suzukian - Looks like I'm going air leak hunting again! Are you suggesting around the exhaust? Wouldn't an airleak before the combustion cause it to run leaner and not pop at idle?

Rob S. - thanks for confirming those instructions, I'll take it around town a bit here with the airbox lid off and see if there's any change in behavior. Appreciate the input fellas.

Comment

A climbing idle and popping would lead me to believe that the pilot circuit is lean….

I had the same on the 1100G with stock jets and a Delkevic 4:1 but I cut adjust it out with the air screw.

welcome to the forum.
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                  1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                  1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                  2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                  1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                  2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

What happens with an air leak is that the gases don't combust properly, and end up popping in the exhaust. Bikes run too lean experience Hydrocarbon backfires all the time.

salty_monk​ is a master at this stuff, follow his recommendation. Looking for leaks never hurts.

Comment

I'm with salty monk. Popping indicates a lean condition. Seems to also be indicated by the number of turns out on the mixture screws. A larger pilot jet would get you back into 1-1 1/2 turns out.

Your bike is very cool. Well done on the resto

And, Welcome from Lodi.

​​​​​​​
                      Paul

sigpic

Originally posted by Grimly
                      Watery bints handing out swords is no basis for any system of government.

Comment

Ten years ago I bought my 11EZ for $1500 (after it had been listed for $1900 for a few weeks). In the next couple of years, I guesstimate I put $5k into her (tires, sprockets, chain, valve adjust, brake lines, oil cooler, 140 speedo, pods, exhaust, jetting on a dynomometer and a whole slew of side covers). Plus accident damage (ignition cover, brake lever and pedal, foot pegs and headlight). PLUS, I only did 10% of the labor myself.

You've listed a LOT of parts you changed. Mind if I ask for a ballpark $ figure?
                        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

slayer61 Sweet! I lived in Lodi for a year and a half. Fun little town. Have you had one of those La Campana breakfast burritos yet? I need to ride back to Lodi for one.

Rob S. I avoided keeping track of the cost on purpose, haha. I bought the bike for $500. I’ll get the number to you once I free up some brain cells.

salty_monk seems you were right! I went outside and turned the screws out a half turn each and put a plug in the airbox drain hose and the idle pop is almost entirely gone. The decel pop has been heavily reduced, albeit still there. Bike is actually a bit quieter overall and feels better.

Any idea why my screws need so be turned out so far with stock jets? Should I need to increase jet sizes with stock airbox and this exhaust?

Comment

More air flowing needs more gas flowing. I thought you had a lean condition from the beginning. Glad you've got it sorted out.

Comment

Originally posted by rsquire View Post

Rob S. I avoided keeping track of the cost on purpose, haha. I bought the bike for $500. I’ll get the number to you once I free up some brain cells.
                              Rule of thumb I found twice in the past decade, rehabbing my own heaps.
                              You'll be lucky to get away without spending a grand on putting a heap back on the road in a safe condition, after it's been laid up for a decade.
                              Biggest single cost is tyres, then (if you're unlucky, depending on storage conditions) damn near every rubber part on the bike - all those small bits add up mightily.
                              Rebuilding calipers, new pads and hoses, all bearings (wheels and steering neck), possibly new swingarm bearings/bushes.
                              Attending to the crap charging system and bringing it into the late 20th Century, never mind the 21st.
                              Rewiring and re-fusing as needed, upgrading lights all around.
                              Each time I did it, the cost was spread out over a few months, so I didn't feel it much, but I was mightily surprised at the total, and that's just taking it to a stock condition.
                              ---- Dave
                              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                              X