Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 GS550L re-build - rear wheel change

Hi All,

Does anyone know if the 18" (disc brake) rear wheel from the 1981 E model would be able to be a straight replacement for the 17" rear on the 1981 L version? I'm re-building an '81 L, but looking to de-L it slightly and I think the bigger rear wheel would help get closer to the look I'm going for. Thanks!

Originally posted by am2198 View Post
    Hi All,

Does anyone know if the 18" (disc brake) rear wheel from the 1981 E model would be able to be a straight replacement for the 17" rear on the 1981 L version? I'm re-building an '81 L, but looking to de-L it slightly and I think the bigger rear wheel would help get closer to the look I'm going for. Thanks!
    According to Partzilla, the same rear swingarm was used on

Suzuki Motorcycle 1982 GS650E REAR SWINGING ARM

Suzuki Motorcycle 1981 GS550T REAR SWINGING ARM

Suzuki Motorcycle 1981 GS650E REAR SWINGING ARM

If that's the case, the rear wheel of the 650e should slide right in like the rear of the 550t

Hope this helps and good luck!

Paul

sigpic

Originally posted by Grimly
    Watery bints handing out swords is no basis for any system of government.

Comment

Hi slayer61, thanks I had been focusing more on the axle and all the spacers that go on there (and it's a 550L to 550E I'm looking at so not sure how similar the 650s are). Even between the 550s (L and E) the swing arms are slightly different part numbers, but the axle make up looks exactly the same with the exception of one spacer.

It appears to be very difficult to work out exactly whether it will all work without just buying the wheel and giving it a go!

Comment

Working...
      X