81 GS750E restomod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 GS750E restomod

My son is finally looking for a project to build with dad, so we are going to tackle the 750.
    It's currently down to the frame, but I have later model suspension we will be using and most likely looking for a later fuel injected engine since the original had so many problems.

I will get pictures as we go along once everything is dug out from the shed.

Step one will be taking measurements on the frame to make sure it's not tweaked since the bike had been down fairly hard by a previous owner.

Will be following to see what fuel-injected engine for find to fit in this frame, and need an ECU to run it, I would assume?
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
      Will be following to see what fuel-injected engine for find to fit in this frame, and need an ECU to run it, I would assume?
      There will most likely be plenty of fab work on it, I will retain all original electronics from whatever donor I find.

Comment

I'm building a 710 - 750 frame - 1000 engine with modern suspension.

I have 2002 (cir 02-05) GSXR (600/750) suspension/brakes/wheels on my 77 GS750B frame. The triple tree required an All Balls kit with 0 modifications needed. Yes, it tightened right up. Others have mentioned needing to replace the steering stem from one triple tree to the other.
        Needless to say - the braking system is slightly better

I'll spare the details of the mono shock rear suspension as it wasn't as easy... LOL
        However it tucks in very well. The battery needs doesn't need relocated but the original battery box will not work anymore, obviously.

Keep us posted

FYI - from the donor, pay attention to any security/safety features. Kickstand switches/key switch etc.etc.etc.
        Unless you know modern electronics/ECU's. wiring can be a PITA.
        Then let's talk about the fuel system - you will need to retain the fuel pump, somehow. Most F.I. bikes I've had it's tank mounted. Others can chime in with their experiences on this.
        The GS750 fuel tanks leave very little to the imagination.
        Current:
        1993 ZX11 - 2nd build in progress
        1977 GS750 (710 is getting closer)
        1998 Kawasaki Voyager - selling
        1998 Chevy C2500
        1999 Rav4

Comment

I'm in. I wanna see this. Might I suggest a B12 as a donor? Then add the FI.
          Paul

sigpic

Originally posted by Grimly
          Watery bints handing out swords is no basis for any system of government.

Comment

Originally posted by unfocused View Post
            I'm building a 710 - 750 frame - 1000 engine with modern suspension.

I have 2002 (cir 02-05) GSXR (600/750) suspension/brakes/wheels on my 77 GS750B frame. The triple tree required an All Balls kit with 0 modifications needed. Yes, it tightened right up. Others have mentioned needing to replace the steering stem from one triple tree to the other.
            Needless to say - the braking system is slightly better

I'll spare the details of the mono shock rear suspension as it wasn't as easy... LOL
            However it tucks in very well. The battery needs doesn't need relocated but the original battery box will not work anymore, obviously.

Keep us posted

FYI - from the donor, pay attention to any security/safety features. Kickstand switches/key switch etc.etc.etc.
            Unless you know modern electronics/ECU's. wiring can be a PITA.
            Then let's talk about the fuel system - you will need to retain the fuel pump, somehow. Most F.I. bikes I've had it's tank mounted. Others can chime in with their experiences on this.
            The GS750 fuel tanks leave very little to the imagination.
            Once I verify the frame is useful, I will be adding a few strengthening gussets for additional power of course. I'm hoping to find a donor with all electrics. I currently have suspension from a 2003ish? gsxr 600 ready to go in, so I'm close to the same setup.

Comment

Originally posted by slayer61 View Post
              I'm in. I wanna see this. Might I suggest a B12 as a donor? Then add the FI.
              Maybe I will go completely mad and find a Busa....

Comment

Working...
              X