83 GS1100GK restore / refresh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 GS1100GK restore / refresh

I know that the old GK isn't the most "exciting" bike for most people, but I do want to document my progress online. I have found it's a great way to help others, but also to keep track of everything that is done to the bike. As some of you may have seen from my member introduction, here's what I'm starting with:

Last edited by GRich; 11-09-2023, 11:35 PM.

Now the history of the bike, along with its current state...... I just found it about a week ago and the seller got it from his brother. I was told that the brother loved the bike but ended up with dementia and forgot that he even had a motorcycle. The seller did tell me that his brother didn't own a garage (so the bike was stored outside under a cover) and the brother didn't work on the bike himself (generally). I was also told that some parts were sent out to get powder coated and never reinstalled. For the most part, the bike is in amazing shape for its age! There is about 39k on the odometer, but the bike was parked for the past 20 years or so. And there was a ziploc bag full of receipts of work done over the years.

The bad news? In that bag of receipts was a police report detailing how the owner was rear ended at a stop sign (luckily it was a guy stopped behind the bike, and then crept forward knocking the bike over). Then there were receipts for new luggage from a yard in California- it's obvious by looking at the condition of the luggage it doesn't match the bike itself. And since parts were taken off 20+ years ago, there are some odd bits and bolts missing. No rubber battery strap, one of the air box / carb clamps is gone, a bolt for the engine card disappeared, etc, etc..... all in all, nothing to worry about. Just a matter of poking around the bike and making a list of oddball things to get from Ebay!

Comment

After the initial "oohs" and "aaahs" in the garage, I started stripping the bike down making a list of what's missing and getting some of the smaller stuff (ie: cheaper stuff) taken care of. I already changed the gear oil at each end to synthetic 75w-90. Since the airbox was off the next step was to pull the carbs off and start cleaning them. I don't own any Berrymans, but I spent a couple hours tearing them apart / spraying carb cleaner / blasting them with air. They honestly weren't "too" bad, but bad enough to warrant a good cleaning.

I did notice however, that the mixture screws had been opened up and messed with. At some time, a couple orings and washers disappeared...... and the stock jets were still installed with a K&N filter and the 4-1 exhaust. More stuff added to the list.....

Last edited by GRich; 11-09-2023, 11:37 PM.

Comment

I found this paper in the ziploc bag of receipts - it is a list of recommended jetting changes for the Vance & Hines 4 into 1. Hopefully it helps someone else out too.

Last edited by GRich; 11-09-2023, 11:38 PM.

Comment

While waiting for some parts, I bought some weather stripping and sealed up the airbox. Also cleaned and oiled the K&N filter.

Last edited by GRich; 11-09-2023, 11:40 PM.

Comment

Also got my valves checked. When I started, only one was actually in spec......

Last edited by GRich; 11-09-2023, 11:41 PM.

Comment

For some odd reason, the rear caliper had 99% of the paint stripped off of it. I have a receipt it was rebuilt, but no idea why the paint was stripped.....

Last edited by GRich; 11-09-2023, 11:42 PM.

Comment

All stripped down. Sure enough, everything has new rubber in there. Yay!

Last edited by GRich; 11-09-2023, 11:45 PM.

Comment

And painted black again....

Last edited by GRich; 11-09-2023, 11:45 PM.

Comment

The "hood" for the instrument cluster has obvious UV damage....

Last edited by GRich; 11-09-2023, 11:46 PM.

Comment

So it got a fresh coat of paint too.

Last edited by GRich; 11-09-2023, 11:46 PM.

Comment

Off to a good start. I did a 1982 GS1000GL a couple of years back and documented it here. This is how it turned out. Keep posting photos. Might want to use a site like IBB to download your photo.

Comment

Originally posted by craz1 View Post
                          Off to a good start. I did a 1982 GS1000GL a couple of years back and documented it here. This is how it turned out. Keep posting photos. Might want to use a site like IBB to download your photo.
                          Agree. Once the photos are uploaded to a hosting site, then the BBC IMG code can be linked here and the photos will show up in high resolution. You can add 10 photos into one post also.
                          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Let's give this a shot.....

This is the "BBCode full linked". Looks fine on my phone, any issues on a proper PC?

Last edited by GRich; 11-09-2023, 10:38 PM.

Comment

Thanks gentlemen! Ed, that part of your signature? I said that just the other day when my son and I were doing the valve shims. There was one shim (#4, intake) that didn't need to come out, but I told him it was coming out to get measured at least. He asked why, and I said "to measure is to know. We are not guessing or hoping here....".

Today was a pretty busy day - the mixture screw hardware came in from Z1, so the carbs got all buttoned up and reinstalled. Airbox was mounted too (but one of the clamps is missing), and the actual nounting bolts for the frame is missing. More stuff on the list!

I did however, get the rear caliper reinstalled, and took the front calipers apart for cleaning & painting.

Comment

Working...
                              X