No announcement yet.

Jdub goes there 1981 650e rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just about every page of the engine tear down in the service manual calls for a special tool. Although Ive ammassed a decent amount of specific tools during this project, and unless I plan on making bike restorations a permanent hobby, I'm going to need to find some DIY substitutes. Found a nice little hack for making a clutch sleeve hub holder to remove the mounting nut. Just happened to have the correct size hole saw.20240304_060307.jpg
    Going to need new clutch friction plates.
    Next special tool to find a sub for is the crank case splitting tool.

Should be getting my frame and other black parts back from powder this week.
    Looking forward to transition from tear down to build up.

Comment

Originally posted by jdub6092 View Post

On a sad note, I was quoted $1600-$1800 for tank, fender, covers and tail. I will get a few more quotes and hope that this isnt typical. This guy said he does painting for a motorcycle museum in South Dakota.
      Considering one roll of 3/4" 3M masking tape cost 16 bux a roll and a quart of clear w/hardener is over $200 these days that's almost a bargain with the cost of quality materials coming in at about half of that quote. If the guy's good, that quote isn't out of line and he's only pocketing about a grand. Even 12 years ago I used to charge $800 just for doing a tank alone, and prices were less then half of what they are now for materials.
      Last edited by nvr2old; 03-04-2024, 07:16 PM.
      1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Originally posted by nvr2old View Post

Considering one roll of 3/4" 3M masking tape cost 16 bux a roll and a quart of clear w/hardener is over $200 these days that's almost a bargain with the cost of quality materials coming in at about half of that quote. If the guy's good, that quote isn't out of line and he's only pocketing about a grand. Even 12 years ago I used to charge $800 just for doing a tank alone, and prices were less then half of what they are now for materials.
        I appreciate the reality check.
        Is that also pretty reasonable price for a single color with decals provided by me?

Comment

Hard to say jdub. It all depends on what condition the parts are in as far as prep hours needed before painting starts. When you start getting into the labor for repairing dents or rust, then add the cost of plastic filler, primer, sealer, multiple grades of sandpaper, it starts to add up quickly. If your parts just need to be sanded and sprayed, that saves a lot. Depending on what color you choose, white or black is the least expensive, any shade of red costs easily 2-3 times as much. Pearls add even more. A single pint of base coat can run upwards of $300 or more. Providing decals save you a bit, for sure.
          1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Front Master Cylinder rebuild.
            This is an image of the one I have, but searching far and wide, it is just not available. Wondering if something like the subsequent image could be used as a replacement kit.
            Also wondering if I could get by with just replacing the rubber parts. The rubber that snaps into the bottom of the spring looks OK and I could probably get by with the o-ring that is on the sliding piece on the piston shaft or find a generic replacement. Need dust seal rubber piece. Bore is 5/8 (.625") and looks to be in decent shape. The piston measures 0.619" and feels a little sloppy. Would appreciate some assistance.

​​

Comment

​ Here is the potential replacement?

Comment

Got my frame and other black parts back from the powder coated. Decided to go with 80+ gloss. I think it was a good compromise. Will post pics this weekend.

Was able to rebuild one fork and it looks to be holding oil quite well. The other has a stripped drain bolt and hole threads. Purchasing a helicoil kit to fix this. Is this the best option?

Replaced steering stem bearings, but not real happy with how tight it feels with stem bolt just beyond finger tight.
                Also broke a flange on the cam chain tensioner.
                One step forward, three back.

Comment

anyone else not seeing pics in posts # 35, 36? or is it just me?
                  Rich
                  1982 GS 750TZ
                  2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                  Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

filedata/fetch?id=1742299&d=1710522549&type=thumb They do show up for me, but I'll try again.
                    This is what I currently have: Suzuki PN 59600-49811
                    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                    This gallery has 1 photos.
                    Last edited by jdub6092; 03-15-2024, 04:53 PM. Reason: Add part#

Comment

filedata/fetch?id=1742301&d=1710522279&type=thumb This is what I'm hoping might be a candidate: Suzuki PN 59600-45860

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                      This gallery has 1 photos.
                      Last edited by jdub6092; 03-15-2024, 04:50 PM. Reason: Add part#

Comment

I see there have been previous conversations about this piston/cup set and it doesn't look so good. I could probably get away with just finding a dust boot. The front brakes were strong. The rear was soft, but I was able to find a rebuild kit for that. Otherwise, it looks like I'll need a new MC. Any suggestions for one that would keep this close to stock?

Comment

Got my parts back from powder coat. Pretty happy with the way they turned out. It was overcast, so this photo doesn't quite bring out the gloss. It will definitely pop once I get it built back up.

Comment

Working...
                          X