No announcement yet.

Jdub goes there 1981 650e rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is keeping me from progressing on the engine is four valve cover bolts that broke off and were absolutely fused into the threads. Tried everything short of welding.
    Tried reverse drill on one and trashed the whole socket which is now out of shape.
    Got a quote from a shop. The guy didn't sound very enthusiastic, but said he could get it done. I also got a quote for decking the head surfaces.

20240428_132547.jpg Here are two of them.

Comment

Originally posted by jdub6092 View Post

but could not get the bead to seat on my new Dunlop tire. After weeks of trying every method I could find and eventually pinching the tube, i took it to my local m/c shop. Was in and out in 5 minutes. I didnt go past 50 psi, but they did and that did the trick.

20240428_124600.jpg ​​​​​​​
      Bias play tires are a no go for home enthusiast (IMO)
      Have you considered filleting in black the outward facing part of the rim or more subtly the inner vertical one?
      Last edited by Lorenzo; 04-29-2024, 01:20 PM.
      GS1000G '81

Comment

Originally posted by Lorenzo View Post

Bias play tires are a no go for home enthusiast (IMO)
        Have you considered filleting in black the outward facing part of the rim or more subtly the inner vertical one?
        I was previously able to get the rear tire bead to seat after a second inflation with the core installed, so I thought the front would be a piece of cake. Ha. If there is a next time, I would have an air fitting that pushes air with the core removed and then not be too afraid to over-inflate the tube one time to get the bead to seat. But you are probably right to skip the hassle and let professionals with the right equipment do the job and be done with it.

Im shooting for a stock restoration as much as possible, so I would plan to just re-paint the inner rim in a dark grey. I think the paint is named dark metal cast gray.
        The decision to do this and additional fine detailing rests on how well the bike runs.

Comment

Perfect, that's the color
          GS1000G '81

Comment

Decided to farm out engine work. Having the cylinders honed, rings fitted and head surfaces decked.
            I already had three valve cover bolts that were absolutely welded to the threads and had to get help with that.
            Will also be getting all but crank bead blasted which will save a ton of additional prep time for painting.
            I've already made enough mistakes with this rebuild due to either not knowing or paying enough attention to fine details. Thankfully, Ive been able to correct all screwups so far. Not willing to risk it on my powerplant though.
            Maybe next time.
            Project is really starting to take shape. Pics coming soon.

Comment

I had luck using an EX300 master cylinder on the rear. Needed a bit of work to get it to fit but not too much..... Cheap and should be able to get parts for many more years. Thread on here somewhere!
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Take this for what it's worth, but unless you can get the exact master kit you need, OEM, not aftermarket, and the bore inside the master is clean and free of pits, then I'd dump and run and install a different master.

I've got one of these on my bike and it's been great...

Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                  I had luck using an EX300 master cylinder on the rear. Needed a bit of work to get it to fit but not too much..... Cheap and should be able to get parts for many more years. Thread on here somewhere!
                  My rear master cylinder was in pretty good shape. I serviced it and put it back together.
                  Then I ordered, what looked like the elusive front master cylinder rebuild kit, but it ended up being the rear kit. So I decided to install it.
                  Could not find the front kit, so I did purchase a new front MC assembly along with the clutch lever. I really only needed the dust boot.
                  There are a few used front MC assemblies on EBAY that have my same piston assy, but all look worse than mine did and the boot is llikely just as torn up.

20240516_160310.jpg Rear master with new Venhill line.

Comment

Another Pic of my new rear Venhill brake line/rebuilt caliper painted with VHT Satin Caliper paint already being infested with dust.

20240516_161709.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                      Take this for what it's worth, but unless you can get the exact master kit you need, OEM, not aftermarket, and the bore inside the master is clean and free of pits, then I'd dump and run and install a different master.

I've got one of these on my bike and it's been great...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/204594824265
                      Hey Ed,

I finally resigned myself to the fact that I won't likely find the front MC rebuild kit. It is pretty rare and only used on a few bikes, so not worth it for K&L, All Balls, etc. to offer it. Another mistake - I didn't remove the piston prior to powder coat and the boot got trashed. Rest is probably OK.
                      So I grabbed this off of ebay.

20240516_162909.jpg

Comment

I have a heavy finger when it comes to painting with rattle cans. Even using satin black, most everything I paint looks rather glossy.
                        These Instrument bezels look a bit too shiny. Aside from repainting and using all light coats, is there a way to flatten this finish?

20240518_225526.jpg Needles and flourescent orange paint on the way.
                        Last edited by jdub6092; 05-19-2024, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Cant believe I just scored an NOS fuel tank of the same color on ebay for much less than the cost of a paint job.
                          Seller says it's in pristine condition and been in the original box.
                          My current tank only has one ding on the decal and a few scratches on the top, but otherwise pretty good and no leaks. We'll see if there is a market for it.

Comment

Working...
                          X