X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

makes me wanna make my 450 a hard tail

Comment

Originally posted by NetBSD View Post
      id say make it kick only. if my 1980 gs450 had a kicker thats what id do.
      I really want it kick only for the badass - e - ness of it I guess.

Originally posted by Richharr View Post
      link to store

good price and quality. I like your bike, are you gonna hard tail it of keep the springs? do you know of anyone adding a kick start to a 450?
      I'll keep an eye on those but I might make something out of the stock pan. Just gotta figure out what shape I want. Thanks for the compliments and yeah I'm keeping the springs. I wanted a the look of the springs but the bike had to have that flattened look of a raked out low rider. It took some back yard engineering but I'm happy with the result. I think the next bike will be like yours with the long solid frame and a head rake.

I'm amazed at the versatility of the small bikes. There's nothing you can't do with them.

Comment

btw, anyone in NYC or LI have an old chain laying around? I need to add about ten inches to this one, since the back is now stretched. need some suggestions on a front brake lever and clutch lever, I just want plain black with a split collar so I can take it off without touching the grips and a small resivior on the brake lever

Comment

love the hardtail look, but....er....you need to find someone who is a better welder....some of those beads look suspicious....
          1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

btw, anyone in NYC or LI have an old chain laying around? I need to add about ten inches to this one, since the back is now stretched. need some suggestions on a front brake lever and clutch lever, I just want plain black with a split collar so I can take it off without touching the grips and a small resivior on the brake lever
            Look at late model sport bike stuff. Its 7/8" with split perches.

Comment

Originally posted by greg78gs750 View Post
              love the hardtail look, but....er....you need to find someone who is a better welder....some of those beads look suspicious....

the welds for the back brake were done with flux core due to a sudden gas shortage. all of the welds have good penetration though, should hold up well, I hope.

Comment

had to add a cross tube for the seat, it will also help when I put the fender on.

I just cut some bolts and welded em in place for the springs.

put a piece chromo over it to protect the threads and a magnet to hold in place

Comment

just to get an idea of where the pipes will end up

here is a rough idea of the way I want to set up the pipes

and the 2 pictures that inspired the build

Comment

ok, I'm done until next weekend. I have a couple full weeks of boring hazmat training, damn you 9/11. I'll probably order some stuff tonight(brake pads, clutch, levers, chain), any good online stores that I should know about?

what size is the chain? of the 2 I have, they are different (1 o-ring, 1 regular), so I cant mix em up because they don't fit. I need about 8-10" if anyone can send on my way.

things left to do
                    -rear brake linkage
                    -mount battery tray
                    -find the gas tank I want to run
                    -order some pods
                    -make an electronics housing
                    -get rid of some wires in the harness
                    Last edited by Guest; 08-03-2008, 05:47 PM.

Comment

ok, I'm done until next weekend. I have a couple full weeks of boring hazmat training, damn you 9/11. I'll probably order some stuff tonight(brake pads, clutch, levers, chain), any good online stores that I should know about?

what size is the chain? of the 2 I have, they are different (1 o-ring, 1 regular), so I cant mix em up because they don't fit. I need about 8-10" if anyone can send on my way.

things left to do
                      -rear brake linkage
                      -mount battery tray
                      -find the gas tank I want to run
                      -order some pods
                      -make an electronics housing
                      -get rid of some wires in the harness
                      What do you think of this tank?

Comment

Originally posted by PAULYBOY View Post
                        What do you think of this tank?
                        not bad, I'm looking for something with a tube tunnel, since I now have a single backbone

Comment

Does the back of your license plate say "D I C K"? That's crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by Erich Z View Post
                            Does the back of your license plate say "D I C K"? That's crazy.

yeah, its an old bicycle plate someone gave me because my name is richard.

Comment

Rich,
                              I like what your doing with the hardtail, I've really been thinking about doing something along those lines with my gs750 this winter. I noticed you had vet plates along with the "Dick" plate. What service you in? I'm up here in MA with the USMC.

Comment

Originally posted by jmchambers83 View Post
                                Rich,
                                I like what your doing with the hardtail, I've really been thinking about doing something along those lines with my gs750 this winter. I noticed you had vet plates along with the "Dick" plate. What service you in? I'm up here in MA with the USMC.
                                thanks,.

marine corps also, Were everywhere like roaches. I came off active duty on june 28th, I was on a south pac float with special purpose MAGTF 24 in peru. now back in the reserves

Comment

Working...
                                X