Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi,

I started the de-rusting process today.

I was trying to find something to stop up the fill hole and the fuel gauge hole. I found these at the local Home Depot.

They are used to plug drain holes. They worked great. First I put a regular rubber stopper in the petcock hole.

Then I put the plug in the fuel gauge hole.

Now I'm ready to pour in my Evapo-Rust.
    I used a gallon (4 of these bottles).

Then for flavor, I added a few little handfulls of 1" roofing nails.

Then, because the larger plug was a smidge too big, I had to take it apart to fit it in the fill hole. I had to be very careful not to drop the assembly into the tank.

Now the rubber piece.

Finally, using a flat blade to hold the bolt while I fasten the wing nut.

A few more photos in the next post.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
    Last edited by Guest; 04-04-2010, 12:47 AM.

Comment

I will be anxious to see how well the EvapoRust works in your tank Cliff, I have a VERY VERY nice 76 750 tank that is gorgeous on the outside, and a bit rusty on the inside. I dont want to line it, so im thinking i will do just what you have done if it works well!!

Comment

Hi,

Here's the tank, plugged, a gallon of Evapo-Rust and some nails inside.

Now it's time to do the tank shake dance!

I'll shake it once in a while, turn it, and let the Evapo-Rust work its magic.

I also set the mixture screws tonight using the "highest idle" method. Maybe tomorrow after church I'll get time to sync my carbs.

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
          I will be anxious to see how well the EvapoRust works in your tank Cliff, I have a VERY VERY nice 76 750 tank that is gorgeous on the outside, and a bit rusty on the inside. I dont want to line it, so im thinking i will do just what you have done if it works well!!
          Hi Josh,

Yes, that was my thinking too. If this works well enough I'll rinse it out with gasoline and then immediately fill it up so that no "flash rust" can occur. When I'm commuting and running errands, my bike rarely goes a day without running and I'm always filling the tank. I'm hoping not to have to use a tank coating too. I'll certainly let you know how it goes. Thank you for your interest.

BassCliff

Comment

This thread is a great read Basscliff. It is really pleasing to see the all round healthy recovery of the two of you. Great progress

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
              Hi Josh,

Yes, that was my thinking too. If this works well enough I'll rinse it out with gasoline and then immediately fill it up so that no "flash rust" can occur. When I'm commuting and running errands, my bike rarely goes a day without running and I'm always filling the tank. I'm hoping not to have to use a tank coating too. I'll certainly let you know how it goes. Thank you for your interest.

BassCliff
              If you aren't going to line the tank, a freind of mine who's a bike mechanic suggested a small amount of Marvel Mystery Oil in each tankfull to keep the rust to a minimum. Just like a capfull.
              Seemed to help.

Comment

Went for a test ride tonight!

Hi!

I did it! I went for a test ride this evening after synchronizing the carbs and finishing up the tank. Look in the post above to see the before picture, here's what the tank looked like after the Evapo-Rust treatment.

After I poured out the Evapo-Rust I had a bit of a time getting all of the roofing nails out. Next time I think I'll use some bb's or smallish ball bearings that will pour out of the petcock hole easier. I had to turn the tank on its side and fish the nails out of the fuel gauge hole with my fingers. It wasn't hard, just tedious. Then I rinsed it with gasoline a few times until the gas came out clear. I put the tank back together, put it on the bike, then took a test drive and filled the tank to prevent any "flash rust" from forming. I was a little surprised and quite pleased at how well the Evapo-Rust works.

I'm uploading a video now. After everything, I had a bit of trouble with the brake light. So I cut my ride short so that I could fix the light issue. I started going through the wiring and realized that the brake light was on all the time, no running light. When I stepped on the rear brake nothing happened, but when I grabbed the front brake the light would flicker. I took the front brake switch apart and found the contact slider had slipped out of it's slot. I reassembled it properly, then put on my new Slipstreamer S-06 windshield. I try to post up a final picture tomorrow.

Anyway, I'm back on two wheels!

I took a bunch of pictures while I was sync-ing my carbs so I'll be writing up another pictorial guide soon. Here's my Morgan Carb Tune. I've had it over a year and this is the first time I've used it.

Here I'm setting up the bike for the sync procedure, temporary tank, golf tee in the vacuum line, fan in front of the engine.

Removed the vacuum port screws from the intake boots.

And installed the vacuum fittings for the Carbtune. These work but I'm going to invest in a nice set from Z1, the brass kind with longer fittings. The fittings included with the Carbtune are short, plastic, and hard to work with. (I need the 5mm set, don't I?)

After I hooked up the hoses and used the throttle cable adjustment screws on the handlebars to set the idle a about 2000rpm, this is where I started.

I used the fancy adjustment tool, a long flat blade screwdriver inside an 8mm socket, to adjust the vacuum on the carbs.

And I ended up with this. Not to bad for my first try.

Well Dingetty Dern! I just heard it's supposed to rain tomorrow. Bi-carbonate of soda! Split my infinitives! Wouldn't you just know it!?!?

There's about 5 minutes left in my video upload. I'll put a link in the next post.

BassCliff

Comment

Test Ride Video!

Hi,

As promised, here is the video of my first ride since my accident on June 20th of last year. Wow, it's been a long time.

Click on the thumbnail to see the Youtube video. I'm wearing the exact same gear I crashed in. I still need to tweak on the engine to get it a little smoother, but now I can ride!

EDIT: Here are a couple more pictures I just took. I just had to go back out to the garage and show you guys!

I also wish to express my sincere gratitude to the GSR community and all of my friends here who donated parts, came over to help, offered advise, lifted me up in prayer, etc. I am indebted to you and look forward to returning the favor. Thank you, thank you, thank you! God bless you all.

BassCliff
                  Last edited by Guest; 04-05-2010, 04:01 AM.

Comment

Thas the way!!!!
                    Congratulations now you are back in the land of riding!

Comment

That Evapo-rust stuff seems great.

And congrats on making it back onto the road.

Comment

Yeah that evapo-rust is good stuff. Unfortunately it evapo-rusted some "structural" rust in my tank and found some tiny holes to seep out onto my floor through.

Very good to see you and Jessie back on the road again

Comment

Outstanding! Good work, Cliff!
                          She is lookin' good!

And installed the vacuum fittings for the Carbtune. These work but I'm going to invest in a nice set from Z1, the brass kind with longer fittings. The fittings included with the Carbtune are short, plastic, and hard to work with. (I need the 5mm set, don't I?)
                          Yes, do get the brass ones from Z1...much easier to work with and yes 5mm is what you want.
                          Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                          '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Basscliff,

I see that I'm not the only who's parking arrangements require surgial driving skills to to go for ride. Glad to see you both up and running!

cg
                            sigpic
                            83 GS1100g
                            2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Hi,

Thanks guys. Wouldn't you know it? It was raining when I left for work this morning.

Last night I even washed my Hi-Viz vest and Icon jacket. Then I sewed the busted seem on my favorite pair of gloves (that I was wearing when I crashed). Oh well. It's supposed to clear up later today so perhaps I'll take in an evening ride around sunset......................

BassCliff
                              Last edited by Guest; 04-05-2010, 04:40 PM.

Comment

I think I'd be more concerned about the earthquakes than the rain...Looking great and Congratulations on all your hard work.

Hi,

Thanks guys. Wouldn't you know it? It was raining when I left for work this morning.

Last night I even washed my Hi-Viz vest and Icon jacket. Then I sewed the busted seem on my favorite pair of gloves (that I was wearing when I crashed). Oh well. It's supposed to clear up later today so perhaps I'll take in an evening ride around sunset.

BassCliff
                                Larry D
                                1980 GS450S
                                1981 GS450S
                                2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Working...
                                X