No announcement yet.

Spent some time in the "man-cave" - From Wreck to Restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That 850 of yours is sweet! I hadn't really considered getting a 850 but after seeing yours and a couple of others on GSR I think I'm going to start keeping an eye out for one.

But I seriously doubt I'll find one as nice as yours. Very good job on putting both it and yourself back on the road. Good luck and have fun!

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
      Hi,

LOL! My daughter usually hits and kicks me harder when she's checking my gear. I guess she was a little camera shy or something. Next time I'll at least have her put on shoes to check my leg armor.

Funny thing, I dreamed about a wheelie last night!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
      Cliff I never did see if you said who did the super nice paint on those tins.. Very Very nice colour of blue. IMO, not that I would ever hope anyone here to wreck, but coming out the other side, I would say Jessie looks better than EVER!!

Comment

Man, you are a beast to come through all that and that rebuild is wonderful!

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
          Cliff I never did see if you said who did the super nice paint on those tins.. Very Very nice colour of blue. IMO, not that I would ever hope anyone here to wreck, but coming out the other side, I would say Jessie looks better than EVER!!
          Thank you Josh. A friend at church owns a few collision repair shops (Avalon Collision Center). He did the paint and pinstriping. I gave him all of the color information I had on the "new" '81 tank, Marble Indigo Blue, but he could find no exact match. He suggested repainting the tank anyway so that all of the body parts would exactly match. I agreed and I'm glad I did.

The '81 tank color had a bit of an aqua tint to it when in the bright sunshine. Since he couldn't exactly match the '81 color, I told him to go ahead and err more toward a darker blue. I should have gone over the pinstriping scheme with him but I am very happy with the results.

Did you notice how well the Evapo-Rust works? I was quite impressed.

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
            That 850 of yours is sweet! I hadn't really considered getting a 850 but after seeing yours and a couple of others on GSR I think I'm going to start keeping an eye out for one.

But I seriously doubt I'll find one as nice as yours. Very good job on putting both it and yourself back on the road. Good luck and have fun!
            Hi,

Thank you Chris. Thanks to everyone for the kind words. My 850 is still a little rough after the crash. I need to do stuff like polish the engine covers and final drive, clean the oily grime from the engine, remove the accumulated dust and dirt from sitting in my garage for 9 months, etc. My ebay gauges are faded. I need to find some way to get those back to their basic dark black color instead of their current faded gray. The engine guards are a little bent, but not much. They'll do until I can buy some new ones. They did their job well and protected the stator and ignition covers.

But I must say, the more I ride it, the better it runs. The first day the idle was floating a bit. I would come to a stop and the idle would drop. So I'd adjust the idle screw up. At the next stop the idle would race a little, so I'd adjust the idle screw down. (I put a half of a can of Sea Foam in this first tank, just for maintenance.) Today the idle was rock steady at every stop and it starts instantly, with just a touch of the button and about 1/2 choke. Adjusting the valves, cleaning and adjusting the carbs, and keeping your charging system in good shape goes a looooong way in getting these bikes to run great.

BassCliff
            Last edited by Guest; 04-09-2010, 12:26 AM.

Comment

She's looking darn good sir! Every time I see that knee x-ray I cringe. I'm glad to hear you're recovering as nicely as your lovely lady there.

Comment

Originally posted by devauxr View Post
                She's looking darn good sir! Every time I see that knee x-ray I cringe. I'm glad to hear you're recovering as nicely as your lovely lady there.
                Thank you ReJean! My knee has healed up nicely. Thank you for your help in getting Jessie back on the road. You are a gentleman, a scholar, and all-around good egg.

But I won't tell anyone.

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                  My 850 is still a little rough after the crash.
                  If that's your idea of rough, I don't want you even looking near my bike!

Fan-tabulous job getting her (and yourself) back into shape, sir.

Best of luck to you, and may God bless you on your travels.

Comment

Your rear turn signals mount different from mine - mine are mounted just below the tail piece, where you have the rear bolt for the luggage carrier.

Where did you get the license plate / turn signal mount assembly?

Kinda neat lookin'.....

Comment

Originally posted by wisgolfer59 View Post
                      Your rear turn signals mount different from mine - mine are mounted just below the tail piece, where you have the rear bolt for the luggage carrier.

Where did you get the license plate / turn signal mount assembly?

Kinda neat lookin'.....
                      Hi,

As far as I know, those are the stock pieces for the rear signals and license plate. The blinkers were just moved when the luggage rack was installed. It was like that when I bought it.

In the picture below you see #23 and #24 (left and right) brackets that hold the blinker stalks. There should be a similar place to mount them on your bike.

BassCliff
                      Last edited by Guest; 04-09-2010, 01:34 PM.

Comment

OK...now I see of what you speak.

Thanks!

Comment

Well, I haven't been on here in awhile, and you go and crash! Glad to here you are up and about, and none the worse for wear, given what could have been. Jessie is looking good!

SO glad you are still here Cliff
                          Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Text messages with my youngest brother Daniel right after he was paralyzed:

Me: Hey Dan-O. Just wanted to say howdy & love ya!

Dan-O: Howdy and Love you too. Doing good, feeling good.

Me: Give 'em hell, Little Bro!

Dan-O: Roger that!

Comment

Glad to see everything working out cliff, the bike is looking and sounding great!

Comment

Very glad you're going to be ok Cliff! Keep that 850 going!

Comment

Cliff,
                                Love the color where did you get it? I'm thinking of using it for mine. If I don't go back to the factory gray.
                                Matos law: Murphy was a lucky B@stard!
                                1979 GS850GN
                                sigpic

In memory of Dave "Gonzo" Steele
                                1975-2008

Comment

Working...
                                X