No announcement yet.

My 750L build thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whew! What a busy week. Work has been getting hectic, I did a bunch of welding for my bike and I just bought 3 more bikes!

So I made a big step forward this past weekend and although it might not look like it, I'm very close to being done. Just have to do a little more welding and I can start painting the frame . I made a battery box and mounts so as to position the battery underneath the seat rails; clearing up the bottom area where it used to be. All that is left is to weld some mounts to it for the R/R and ignitor. Probably my favorite thing I did this weekend was my high beam switch. I bought a heavy duty foot switch and mounted it to the back of the left foot peg. And I also welded the bracket that's going to hold my remote rear master cylinder. All in all a pretty productive weekend. I'm gonna try and make it out to the welding studio this week before my pass expires and finish up the few remaining things.

Oh and Macguver, thanks for all of the info. That makes it very clear and sounds easy enough. Still haven't decided on what exactly I want the rear fender to look like.

Comment

Originally posted by Theo View Post
      Oh and Macguver, thanks for all of the info. That makes it very clear and sounds easy enough. Still haven't decided on what exactly I want the rear fender to look like.
      Anytime Theo,
      I am really digging the high/low switch, very creative!
      Is it a hard push, or is a light touch needed?

Great ingenuity Theo, keep it up!

Comment

Originally posted by Macguyver View Post
        Anytime Theo,
        I am really digging the high/low switch, very creative!
        Is it a hard push, or is a light touch needed?

Great ingenuity Theo, keep it up!
        Thanks man. By hand it's a hard push, but with the foot it's a piece of cake. The switch's original purpose was for a guitar effects pedal.

Comment

Finally, an update

Well it's been a while. Lately I've been so busy that I hardly have time to work on the bike. But little by little, I've been getting it done.

I got a seat loop made for me to finish off the back. Here it is mocked up before being cut to length. (A five person bench seat wouldn't be such a bad idea)

And here it is cut to length and welded up

I'm not going to show any close ups of my welds because they look horrible. But that's what happens when you use a really cheap stick welder. They're non structural, so it should be fine.

If you compare the two photos, you'll also notice that I got a pair of taller shocks. The low rider look just wasn't doing it for me anymore.

I also am almost done re-wiring the bike. Just a few more wires, but rewiring is so dull that it's hard to stay motivated.

Like I said earlier, I've almost finished replacing anything that needs replacing, and only have a little more to do. Here's my list:

- finish up welding (just a couple tabs here and there, nothing special)
          - paint frame
          - paint tank
          - make seat pan
          - make elec. box
          - new brake lines
          - new throttle cable
          - new tires
          - new fuel and vent lines
          - finish rewiring bike

As you can see, I don't have many things to do before the bike is road ready; mostly just buying things. The few non-purchase items left are pretty involved though. And I'm leaving for Greece for three weeks in a couple of hours and after I come back, I'm most likely going to be moving to the Bay Area. So when I get back I'll have about a month to finish the bike. I'm really hoping that I can get it done, but I'm just not so sure. Then again, I don't really have much of a choice. So it's going to be a really fun month when I get back from Greece.
          Last edited by Guest; 06-28-2010, 09:14 AM.

Comment

don't forget to bob that huge front fender! I like the subframe hoop, is it an old pair of handlebars? You should check out Deus Ex Machina and Wrenchmonkees, the L model would look great under their styling.

Comment

Theo!
              Looking like you are nearly done, I know how tough it can be to keep motivated to finish a project, and yours is looking like you have been quite motivated recently. Don't let the small stuff get you down, just remember that your machine loves you for the new lease on life!
              Looks great BTW!

I hope you have fun in Greece (lucky dog!), and come back rejuvinated and ready to have fun finishing your bike.

Once again, looking good bro, keep up the great work!

Comment

A little progress

Alright, finally got the powder coated. It looks so good. The pictures fail to capture how awesome it looks.

Comment

Spiffy ! , looks nice ( fresh and new )

Rat :-)

Comment

I'm jealous. Looking serious man!

Comment

Keep it going Theo. Looks good!
                      sigpic

82 GS850
                      78 GS1000
                      04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                      .................________-|___\____
                      ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Oh wow Theo,
                        That frame looks great!

I am very interested in seeing the final assembly coming along, please remember pictures for those of us suffering from wrench withdrawal!

I bet you are super psyched about how it turned out, I am so jealous!

Great job Theo, good to see you back at it!

Comment

Working...
                        X