No announcement yet.

My OFFICIAL "Broken Promise" thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SO it looks like this is a more common mod than I thought. Anyway, when I stopped at a bike shop to grab an oil filter, I got another idea. Instead of using a Harley rear fender, why not try a Suzuki cruiser rear fender (IE Blvd). SO I'll be headin to my regular bike shop to pick through the fender isle.

Comment

Originally posted by AF_Bill View Post
      OK!! So I have figured out (with the help of Macguyver) how to solve my "melting paint" issue. I got the correct HIGH TEMP primer and flat black base coat (500 degree). Mac, again thanks for the tips and tricks ya gave me. I'll be playing around with the paint later today.
      Anytime Bill,
      I am glad I could help. Soooo, where are the pics???

Comment

They're comin. I also painted the smaller RT side engine cover. Looks good too w/o the metal sticker. If the lazer engraver was workin here, it would have something on it instead of nothing.

BTW, Mac, once all the covers are painted, OMG its gonna look SICK!!!!!!!

Comment

Today was SO GOTDAMN beautiful I just had to ride. LOL But before I do, something was buggin me. I've had the luggage rack on my bike since the day I bought it. I use the crap outta it on long trips but not really on daily rides and such. So I went ahead and took it off. WOW! What a differance in looks. I've seen a bunch of other GS's w/o it but never thought about mine. So I'm now rethinkin my idea about installin a newer BLVD fender. Maybe just a newer set of mini turn signals and custom taillight instead of the whole fender swap.

Comment

... I can across a pic of an 83 1100GL that's got a Harley rear fender conversion done to it and I F-in LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!! I wanna do this to my 650 now. It just looks SO sweet.

If you had a 650L, it would look better with the fender mod and be much easier, as it already has a separate chrome fender. Your bike has the tail section and light assembly that would have to be reconfigured, not to mention that the straight-ish lines of the seat and bodywork would not flow gracefully into the curves of the Harley or Boulevard fender.

Just a thought.

Last edited by Steve; 03-18-2010, 04:42 PM.
            sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

SO I had a near death experiance today (dumb B*tch runs a stop sign and pulls out in front of me), I parked my lil G and decided to do a lil work. Pretty much just but the side cover badges on and then I pulled apart my rear turn signals. Here is the end result of the turns. I like em!

Comment

Well, this looks like it might be my last or one of my last posts in the build thread for a while. I leave next week for a while for work. Wish I could take my G with me but that ain't gonna happen. Thanks to everyone for checking it out, the comments, and suggestions.

Remember, rubber side down, shiney (or flat in Mac's case) up.
                AF Bill

Comment

Well, this looks like it might be my last or one of my last posts in the build thread for a while. I leave next week for a while for work. Wish I could take my G with me but that ain't gonna happen. Thanks to everyone for checking it out, the comments, and suggestions.

Remember, rubber side down, shiney (or flat in Mac's case) up.
                  AF Bill
                  So do you have someone bike-sitting her for you?
                  I am sure there would be plenty of offers to run her up and down the block/state/whatever for you.

As far as the luggage rack goes, much better without IMO. I too had one on my bike, and it was the first thing removed. Cluttered up the rear end too much. If I really need to haul enough cargo to need the rack, I'd rather strap it to the seat.

Try and have a little fun while you are away from your bike, but not so much that it gets you arrested, and we will be here for you when you get back.

TTYL

Comment

Originally posted by Macguyver View Post
                    So do you have someone bike-sitting her for you?
                    I am sure there would be plenty of offers to run her up and down the block/state/whatever for you.
                    Actually I do. My dad is gonna fire her up every now and then. Not sure if he'll take her out for a run but if he does, I hope he don't drop it puttin up the center stand (like he did with his CB 350).

Comment

Just a quick lil update. Sorry no pics.

I ordered new tires last week from motorcycle superstore (Shinko Tour Masters) and was told they came in today. Hope to have either my dad or best friend have them installed.

Still away from home (little over 2 months left) before I can get back and play. I'm getting a list in my head of parts to order so I can have them all ready and waiting for me when I get back.

Heres what I'm thinkin:
                      Do-it-yourself braided steel brake lines
                      Fresh Paint (motor and tins)
                      Exhaust or mufflers
                      MAYBE-harley Fat Bob tank (or a bigger tank period)

OH, and the most important thing of ALL........................................ the PERFECT pin up girl for the tank LOL. J/k

Comment

OH, and the most important thing of ALL........................................ the PERFECT pin up girl for the tank LOL. J/k
                        Just Kidding? Why not?
                        I am going to have a pin-up girl on my tank when I repaint it. Nose Art never goes out of fashion. I however, am going to use a custom printed decal. I've done my time fixing airbrush art, never again. Especially when decals are printable at super high resolution nowadays.

Just make sure the Mrs. doesn't know it's a pic of the mistress!

Comment

NICE Mac. Actually, my girl is helping me find the perfect pinup girl. I've got one on my tank now and is perfect. Wish I could find another one, then have someone paint it Bigger.

Comment

Just a quick update.

Sorry no pics Mac. Well, of the bike or parts no.

The past few months, I've been planning the winter build for my GS. Since the first step was to install the super bike bars, I wanted to see where "Broken" would direct me. I'm not sure what kinda style I'm goin with but the idea in my head looks great! Here's the list of parts I've gotten for the winter build and the later parts are general maintainence stuff:

Vance & Hines exhaust, new side covers, EMGO fairing, black turn signals, Shinko Tour Master tires, clutch & throttle cable, coil, ignitor, petcock.

Hopein that the tires will be installed by the time I get home. My dad has been takin care of her since I've been away. Funny thing, his key will start my bike. I didn't know that. (Dad bought a 78 GS 550 after I told him to buy a 500 or bigger bike last year!) ANYWAY, I'm still here in Bagram for a while. Hope to be home soon. Here's one for the pic hungry (Mac). Ride safe everyone.

From Left to right- Gus, Homer, Me

Comment

That's quite the list for the winter rebuild. I think you will like the superbike bars, I just put a set of 4" rise, 4" sweep superbike bars on my 650, and it looks hellacool. Haven't had a chance to ride it yet to check out the ergonomics, but it looks sweet!

Bagram Social Club 2010

Nice, so when do you rotate out?

Comment

Originally posted by Macguyver View Post
                                That's quite the list for the winter rebuild. think you will like the superbike bars, I just put a set of 4" rise, 4" sweep superbike bars on my 650, and it looks hellacool. Haven't had a chance to ride it yet to check out the ergonomics, but it looks sweet!

Nice, so when do you rotate out?
                                Well, the ehxaust, side covers, lights, and fairing are the winter rebuild parts. Tires, I needed before I left home. I was able to take just one decent ride with the new bars (besides to and from work) and I love the feel. I think mine are 2in up but I'm not sure. All I can say is that I'll be back state side soon. Wish it was sooner. I'm missing lots of GREAT riding weather.

Comment

Working...
                                X