No announcement yet.

My OFFICIAL "Broken Promise" thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parts are on order for Broken and Newbie. Broken should have a complete engine gasket kit coming in soon. Figured since I'm replaceing the head gasket, might as well do them all while I'm thinkin about it. NOW, I have to convince my mom to stop puttin stuff (couches and christmas gifts) in my shop so I can start workin on my bikes, and help enclose the side porch.

ALSO, got a new set of bars (29in broomstick w/4in risers). Not sure if they'll go on Broken or Newbie. We'll see.
    Last edited by Guest; 12-01-2010, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Bike looks great! Love those fleabay stainless bolt kits, a real headache saver! I'm a sucker for a blacked out engine, so I'd say go ahead and paint the engine to match! Oh, and those gauge housings take paint nicely too!

Comment

I like that idea man. Think I might have to try it.

Comment

just be sure you use a flexible primer suited for plastic parts to keep the paint from cracking. I think painting the housing white would really add a nice accent to your bike.

Comment

Well, looks like I've REALLY been slacking on my bike. FINALLY go the shop clean out and my bikes inside. I'll have this weekend free to work on my bikes so I should update with some pics.

Broken is gonna get a new tank from an 82 850G (5.8 gal), fixing the wiring harness (bad grounds), and maybe a new fender. We'll see.

Comment

So I started workin on both bike the past few days. Decided to install a new set of bars on Broken (broomstick bars) and some stuff on Bags (my 850). So I tried to start Broken but ass she did was crank. I think the carbs might need to be primed cuz the pet cock is kinda stuck in reserve (haven't started her since last Oct). I'm also thinkin that I need to change the plugs and put some new gas in the tank, but I'm gonna wait on the gas till I get my new tank, hopfully tomorrow I'll pick it up. Any other suggestions cuz I'm having a brain fart. And I also charged the battery up too.

Comment

Well, I was right. Fully charged battery and primed the carbs, she fired up. After a few tries that is. And as she was running, my suspisions were correct. She's got an oil leak from the head. ARGH!! Oh well, time to order more parts. It's not like I'm gonna ride in the next few weeks any way (too damn cold).

Comment

I picked up another tank for Broken and I was really hoping that it would fit. Well, it did, kinda. I got a tank from an 80 850G and none of the mounting points line up. Back to the drawin board guess or mock up a new back bone? Any suggestions?

Comment

Decided to put the tank swap on hold so I started to replace all the engine gaskets. Well, problem #1- 2 exhaust bolts broke off from cyl 2 & 3 (and they had to be the ones I really can't get to w/a stud remover). Any suggestions to remove them?
                    I also took a look at the Vance & Hines exhaust I got last year. Seems that the down pipe is a little smaller diameter than the stock. Will this cause a problem? I have new exhaust gaskets too.
                    And finally, anyone has some tips or tricks I can use to speed the gasket replacement up?

Comment

Finally I'm back to work on my baby. Since Bags/Dirtbag is in the shop gettin fixed, I'm gonna try and get BP back on the road.

Basic gasket replacement and all with the exception of installing a new to me V & H 4-1 exhaust. Anyone know a tip to removing the old exhaust gaskets?

Comment

Been a while since I posted anything. Broken has been sitting for a while. Motor is back together but not running. I got deployed (again) and had to put her away. SUPPOSEDLY my dad is gonna fix her up while I'm gone. Wish I had pics or more details but I don't.

We'll see what goes down in a few months.

Comment

Working...
                        X