Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The MPG's went up since you hot-rodded the engine again??

I might carry a fuel bottle this year... worked out a Quart bottle is about 10-15 miles on the Skunk depending on how it's ridden.

Dan
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

My 1229 is HORRIBLE on gas with 36 RS carbs I do ride it kinda hard but a tank is gone after going to get a haircut and a fast stop the auto parts store,thinking of going over to a set of gs1150 CV carbs i have on the shelf.....

Comment

I check my mileage now and then, last time I got 37.3 mpg (6.3L/100km) riding heavy with a passenger.
        When I first got this bike, with the stock 750, it hit reserve at 220km now its more like ~150km

Comment

Originally posted by gs1150streetracer View Post
          My 1229 is HORRIBLE on gas with 36 RS carbs I do ride it kinda hard but a tank is gone after going to get a haircut and a fast stop the auto parts store,thinking of going over to a set of gs1150 CV carbs i have on the shelf.....
          That's what I run with a worked head.

Originally posted by gearhead13 View Post
          I check my mileage now and then, last time I got 37.3 mpg (6.3L/100km) riding heavy with a passenger.
          When I first got this bike, with the stock 750, it hit reserve at 220km now its more like ~150km
          Gotta pay to play!
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Good attitude Bill.

When I used to hear other performance rotary enthusiasts grizzling about their fuel consumptions, I'd quip "you cant get V8 performance without the equivalent fuel consumption".
            The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
            GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
            GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
            GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
            http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

With a 30% increase in main jet size and my unwillingness to take it easy
              I'm not delusional.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                With a 30% increase in main jet size and my unwillingness to take it easy
                I'm not delusional.
                Had a buddy that had a centrifugally supercharged 351 built for his 1990 mustang, replacing the stock 302. He was astounded when his MPG dropped significantly, and subsequently, would never romp on it for fear of lost mileage. What the hell else are you supposed to do with 400+ ft-lbs of torque at the wheels? Go to the grocery store?

Comment

Go at your own pace.
                  I saw a deer pass you last year.
                  Originally posted by renobruce View Post
                  We need Daveo and his Ural to carry gas for bill at the rally!
                  No worries....I'll ask bambi to carry it on his back with a triangle and a road flare
                  Last edited by Guest; 07-03-2010, 05:06 AM.

Comment

Just a question here, Bill said he bent an oil ring and had to go buy a new set. How could you tell if you bent one if the cylinders are installed on all 4? Hard to turn over?
                    I am installing my 1170 kit now and was curious

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead13 View Post
                      Just a question here, Bill said he bent an oil ring and had to go buy a new set. How could you tell if you bent one if the cylinders are installed on all 4? Hard to turn over?
                      I am installing my 1170 kit now and was curious
                      yes; hard to turn dont do it too many time you if it is hard

Comment

Once the cylinder has cleared all four set of rings it should slide easily the rest of the way down. Then the motor should turn easily/smoothly at the crank.

Comment

Once the cylinder has cleared all four set of rings it should slide easily the rest of the way down. Then the motor should turn easily/smoothly at the crank.
                          I think I got them in right, not too hard to turn. The cylinder I got was not chamfered at all on the bottom, I had to take a grinding wheel to it, seconed try and they went in nice.

Comment

Bill, I talked to Bruce last night & we are going to get together to get your bike back home. You should see it in 2-3 weeks. Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                              Bill, I talked to Bruce last night & we are going to get together to get your bike back home. You should see it in 2-3 weeks. Ray.
                              Thanks guys
                              I don't know what to say.

Comment

Just say "There will be cold Newcastles for the man that delivers it to my house!!!" LOL!! Ray.

Comment

Working...
                                X