No announcement yet.

The tossed 78 GS1000 rebuild thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking good son..In another couple of weeks I'll get to see it, and you, in person.

First beer's on me.

(So what do these flying monkeys look like?)

Dad

Comment

OMG!!, you are doin such a kick-ass job, and in a very short amount of time!

Seems like your father has instilled some good mech. skills in ya.

Nice to see a father and son who enjoy wrenchin on there bikes, and support each others projects like all Y'all do.

Dam, now I miss my dad even more.

Comment

Quick update:

I've been moving and that's put a hold on the bike for a little bit. I need to get back on the ball though as she needs to be ready for the Mid-Ohio show the 9th and the plan is she motivates her self there. I did get my tank back from the body man. He did an awesome job and you can't tell anything was ever wrong. I passed the tank off to my painter who already had the rest of the body parts and hope to have everything back in a couple days. Here's some pics of the tank in primer.

Next pics may just be finished pictures!
        Last edited by IanC; 02-18-2016, 12:03 AM. Reason: Fixed links.
        -1978 Suzuki GS1000EC
        DONE!!! Rebuild thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=155564
        -2012 Triumph Daytona 675R

Comment

get on tha ball mannnnnn....that tank looks awesome, call up some paint gods and get that thing painted. moving? priorities mannnn......

Comment

Well been pushing hard to get her ready for Mid-Ohio and here's where she sits. She is all back together minus the body work. Painter still has that and if it's not back in my hands tomorrow I'm pretty screwed. Hooked her up to an auxiliary tank (motorcycle life support lol) today, prayed to the motorcycle gods, choke up, key on, push the magic button and...spin, spin, sputter, spin, start! She fired right up and that was a MASSIVE relief. Everything seemed in order though she'll need her timing and carb synch checked. Going to check the charging system tomorrow and if all passes she should be good for the trip. I'm leery of taking her without really any shake down time but times is up. Here are some pics of the nearly finished product.

1995 CBR rotors, 1990 ZX600R calipers and Salty's brake adapters put to good use. Obviously no ride time with them but they feel great.

Last edited by IanC; 02-18-2016, 12:04 AM. Reason: Fixed links.
            -1978 Suzuki GS1000EC

Comment

My Gosh!! You're flying through the rebuild and doing an excellent job. Really like the wire wheels, really sets it off. Keep up the great work. Ray
              "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
              GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
              1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
              1979 GS1000SN The new hope
              1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

A really fine job son. Let's get the carbs sorted on both of our bikes and we'll be riding instead of wrenching. The guys on the GSR will be very impressed when they see the finished product. I know I was!

Comment

Didn't make the dead line for the Mid-Ohio show so I went and the bike didn't. It was together but not running well enough. I think I've gotten the majority of it figured out. So here's what the finished (for now) product.

She looks great. I still have things I want to do soon like mounting an oil cooler, Dyna S ignition system, get the wheels sent off and replaced with stainless spokes, fork brace, V&H exhaust and a different seat. So keep an eye out for future progress.
                  Last edited by IanC; 02-18-2016, 12:07 AM. Reason: Fixed links.
                  -1978 Suzuki GS1000EC

Comment

Awesome work!

....sooo, what kind of shocks are those? Where did you get them?

Comment

Thanks! They have no brand name on them. A member here (Salty_monk) came across a couple sets and I bought one from him. I assume they are just some Chinese knock-offs but they perform well enough and are rebuildable.
                      -1978 Suzuki GS1000EC

Comment

I have another set that are eye to eye if anyone wants them...
                        1980 GS1000G - Sold
                        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                          I have another set that are eye to eye if anyone wants them...
                          I do.
                          Are they a good length for a 650G?
                          How are they sprung?
                          How is the ride?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

1 year update. It's been nearly a year since I got the GS on the road again so I thought I would post and let you know what's been going on with her. She's gotten some more modifications; Dyna S ignition, different mirrors, some Sport Demon tires, Electrosport stator and R1 Mosfet R/R and now thanks to Chuck a V&H exhaust to replace the rusty, beat up Kerker. The carbs were also rebuilt and finally jetted correctly by yours truly.

Some pics!
                            Here she is in touring mode for the wife and I's trip to Mississippi.

Rolled over 30K miles on the way home from MS.

As she sits now with the new exhaust.

There are still plans in the works so stay tuned for more updates.
                            Last edited by IanC; 02-18-2016, 12:12 AM. Reason: Fixed links.
                            -1978 Suzuki GS1000EC

Comment

Looking great

How about the addition of a flyscreen like I sent Colin for his bike? Alternatively, a larger screen put on for touring duties can be a big help on a trip but a bit too fugly for me to keep on the bike all the time.

Dad

Comment

The trip to MS made me wish I had a fairing of some sort up there. At least something for trips. I may hunt down one of the 'S' fairings for it.
                                -1978 Suzuki GS1000EC

Comment

Working...
                                X