The tossed 78 GS1000 rebuild thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yikes!
    Care to share what the "series of unfortunate events" were.
    Glad there were no injuries and will certainly follow this re-re-rebuild.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by IanC View Post
      They are a bit longer than the OE GS shocks but I'll be using a Bandit swingarm that I have to weld shock tabs on anyway so that can be remedied.
      Which Bandit swinger 600 or 1200? Can you send me some pic's/drawings of the pieces that you are making to mount the shocks on it as I am doing the same thing with the 1200 swinger currently myself. TIA!

Comment

Geeze!
        Those pictures define crash and burn. Well at least the burn part...
        What happened?

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
          Yikes!
          Care to share what the "series of unfortunate events" were.
          Glad there were no injuries and will certainly follow this re-re-rebuild.
          Originally posted by Notz View Post
          Geeze!
          Those pictures define crash and burn. Well at least the burn part...
          What happened?
          A trusted and very experienced rider borrowed the GS, as his GS is down for maintenance, to meet some friends for a lunch ride. It was a cold and rainy day causing some fogging on his shield. Last he really remembers is trying to clear some fog from his visor. What we've been able to piece together is that he was clearing his visor and didn't notice the truck and rider performing an emergency stop in front of him. He saw it too late and tried to avoid hitting the other rider but knicked the right saddlebag ricocheting the GS to the right. He must have hit a curb or something of that nature because there was no slide damage on his gear but significant impact damage to his helmet and left side of his body. He suffered several broken bones and some internal bleeding. As far as I can tell from the wreckage the actual accident damage to the GS was fairly light. As the rider was being loaded up in the ambulance his riding buddy noticed the light was on, as soon as he turned the ignition switch to turn it off the bike went up in flames. Three weeks later, the rider is healing up fairly well but still has a ways to go yet, his riding buddy was fine and has settled with the insurance company and my GS is on it's way to yet another evolutionary leap.

Originally posted by GSX1000E View Post
          Which Bandit swinger 600 or 1200? Can you send me some pic's/drawings of the pieces that you are making to mount the shocks on it as I am doing the same thing with the 1200 swinger currently myself. TIA!
          I'll be using a 1200 Bandit swinger. I found this site that sells everything you need to make the swap work. It was a huge load off the modification workload to find: http://www.parts.suzuki-katana.com/. It's my understanding that the owner is a member here so bonus for supporting a member.
          Last edited by IanC; 12-08-2014, 10:35 PM.
          -1978 Suzuki GS1000EC
          DONE!!! Rebuild thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=155564
          -2012 Triumph Daytona 675R

Comment

The spark inside the switch as the contacts broke lit it up probably.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
              The spark inside the switch as the contacts broke lit it up probably.
              That was my assumption too.
              -1978 Suzuki GS1000EC

Comment

Ian

I'd be concerned about the structural integrity of the frame area above the carbs

Since that area is all rusty, wire brush it and see if the frame tubes changed color

While a gas fire might not be too hot, I'd hate to see the frame bend after all of the work you're doing
                1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                2007 DRz 400S
                1999 ATK 490ES
                1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                  Ian

I'd be concerned about the structural integrity of the frame area above the carbs

Since that area is all rusty, wire brush it and see if the frame tubes changed color

While a gas fire might not be too hot, I'd hate to see the frame bend after all of the work you're doing
                  Looking over the frame I don't think there is anything to worry about structurally. If I have any serious concerns I have access to two more titled frames so it's not the end of the world. I'd like to stay with this one purely for sentimental value. I will be adding some bracing to the frame to keep chassis flex to a minimum with the modifications planned and somewhat as a peace of mind.
                  -1978 Suzuki GS1000EC

Comment

Originally posted by IanC View Post
                    Looking over the frame I don't think there is anything to worry about structurally. If I have any serious concerns I have access to two more titled frames so it's not the end of the world. I'd like to stay with this one purely for sentimental value. I will be adding some bracing to the frame to keep chassis flex to a minimum with the modifications planned and somewhat as a peace of mind.
                    well, check it as I said. It may only be burned paint visible in the photos, but all the chassis bracing in the world won't help you if it bends along those 3 tubes

You going to do the Yoshimura style bracing? The X, the one across the side triangles and under the back top bend are the most important
                    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                    2007 DRz 400S
                    1999 ATK 490ES
                    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Did the under-braced swingarm{Davida?] get too damaged in the fire?
                      Is that why you are swapping to a Bandit arm?
                      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

well, check it as I said. It may only be burned paint visible in the photos, but all the chassis bracing in the world won't help you if it bends along those 3 tubes

You going to do the Yoshimura style bracing? The X, the one across the side triangles and under the back top bend are the most important
                        Can you post some pictures of that bracing on your super bike replica project?

Comment

Once the frame is sandblasted I'll inspect the frame again more thoroughly but I'm not expecting any damage. I'm not decided on the bracing yet. I may just do some gussets.
                          Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                          Did the under-braced swingarm{Davida?] get too damaged in the fire?
                          Is that why you are swapping to a Bandit arm?
                          The Metmachex swinger that was on it can probably be salvaged but the orginal intent is to fit a 180 rear tire which is a very tight fit and would require a bit more figuring out. The more simple solution is the Bandit swingarm/brake/wheel combo using Katman's conversion bits.
                          -1978 Suzuki GS1000EC

Comment

Got the rear end off the donor Bandit and that gave me a better idea of what will need to be done to make everything work.

-1978 Suzuki GS1000EC

Comment

I'm not so sure about the chassis. All that heat couldn't have been good for the metal. I'm not sure if the chassis is just mild steel or if there are some heat treated sections. Might not be an issue but personally, I'd either talk to someone that knows about that kind of thing or just change the frame to be safe.
                              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Been a while since I updated this and progress has been slow with school, work and family leaving me very little free time. The frame was sent off to be sandblasted and inspected prior to laying down a coat of primer. As I somewhat expected there was no indication that the rolled steel frame had gotten hot. So proceeded with this frame for sentimental value and will build a period correct 1978 out of the other frame I have hanging from my garage ceiling.

Frame sandblasted and coated in primer to prevent surface rust while mocking things up.

Donor 1981 GS1100 engine.

Engine loosely in the frame while I figure out mounts.

Fitted 1998 Bandit 1200 rear end and taking measurements to have the shock mounts welded on.

Engine mounts figured out, steering stem bearings/races swapped to accommodate the 2004 GSXR600 front end. ( This front end is for sale, I've decided on an 2005-2006 front end.)

Once the shock mounts are welded on and it's a roller I'll be sending the whole frame to be braced and excess tabs and such cleaned up. I'll have a bit more time to make progress this summer while I'm out of school.
                                Last edited by IanC; 04-14-2017, 03:30 AM.
                                -1978 Suzuki GS1000EC

Comment

Working...
                                X