1979 GS1000L build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good progress today..

Bled the front brakes with a little help from the kids.
    Went over the bike with a torque wrench making sure it's all snug.
    Put the cotter pins in the axle nuts.
    Changed the oil and made a new adjuster for the choke cable.. The old one went MIA..

I got it outside and fired her up..

There was a lot of oil smoke from the right side at first but it's decreasing..
    I'm thinking the rings may need to re-seat after it's multi year snooze..

She's running well for a first fire up but needs a little tuning..

While it was running I checked the FH008 R/R I'd put in before..
    Battery was 12.8v with the bike off.. 13.95 at idle and 14.05 at 3k..
    I couldn't ask for better than that.

Comment

Nice work. Gotta love these threads with photos. Looks like you've got trouble brewing; that daughter of yours looks to be taking a top speed run (in her imagination). Good luck with that in about 10 years.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

How's it coming?

Thanks for the rep man. Did you end up drilling the rotors? Progress?

Comment

I didn't drill them yet.. I'll happen soon but I really wanted to get out and ride..

I took it for the first ride tonight.. Yeah I know maiden voyage in the dark isn't the brightest idea but it it ran 90% flawless..

The petcock rebuild kit isn't here yet so I'm just keeping it below reserve so I can turn the fuel off..

First milestone was getting to the gas station.. I wasn't sure if it would make it with the tiny amount I'd put in the tank for tweaking the carbs.

It took a bit to get used to the riding position with the rear sets and clubman bars but after I got rolling and settled in it's quite comfortable..

I didn't play much.. It still needs a little work.. I have an oil leak at the head where the cam chain tunnel is.. I suspect the O ring is bad so now the head has to come off.. It'll be a good time to check the valve shims too.

The tach is sticky.. It lags by about a minute so it needs to be stripped and cleaned..

Front brakes are soft. Must be a stubborn air bubble in there somewhere..

So with despite all the little thing it's a freakin awesome ride!!!

Looks wise it's a like a gender confused cafe/cruiser mix. The back half just isn't working with the front.. Over the winter I'll try to make a tail cowl that blends in with the seat and eliminate the rear fender. That or try to make my 78 GS1000E seat and tail work on this frame.. I don't think that front fender is really working either..

Comment

A few months later nothing much exciting has happened.. I've taken the bike out on a few weekends and done some photo tag with the local riders but that's about it..

I finally got the petcock rebuilt using a kit from http://www.carbkitscapital.com..
            I can't remember the manufacturer.. Tour-something.. Anyway.. It was the only one I found that was specific to the 79 GS1000L..
            Perfect fit.. 0 leaks.. My only issue was that it wouldn't close.. It'll do that now..
            Finally I can fill the tank.. Yes the fuel gauge works!!

I took it to work for the first time today.. First time I've done that since I broke my Yamaha in May.. Mostly because I usually take the 4yo to daycare..

The trip was uneventful except the stupid oil light started flickering right after I wound it up going down the highway on-ramp..

I took it easy to the next exit and found this.. (see pic)
            I must have knocked it off when I was adjusting the idle.
            Last edited by Guest; 11-02-2010, 11:19 AM.

Comment

I got some new toys in the mail today..

2 complete sets of New in the box Tarozzi Rear Sets made for a 90's GS500E
              Thing is nobody can figure out how the hell they fit on the GS500E so I got a deal on them..

So close.. the 2nd bolt hole is off by a 1/4" so I'll be making brackets or buying the GS1000 mounts.

Comment

like the look so far. working on the same bike, 79' GS1000L. hope you take a look and tell me what you think. can't wait to see how it turns out.

Comment

I have some mounts roughed out for the Tarozzi rear sets..

Yeah they are a little thick.. I plan to trim them down a little..
                  I have no idea how all the leaves keep getting into the garage.

I do need to clean up my work space a little..

Comment

Originally posted by sschering View Post
                    I got some new toys in the mail today..

2 complete sets of New in the box Tarozzi Rear Sets made for a 90's GS500E
                    Mounts are looking good. I am sure you could mill off some of the extra thickness. What are your plans for the second set? Do they involve selling them to a forum member ?

Comment

Working...
                    X